Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: When The Doors Close

It's very hard sometimes to not think and act with your heart especially on issues that affect our children.
    But I am going in this situation with the mind set that it is what will be best in the end for all our children.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Honestly I just don't think that there is enough $ to build more than just one school.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

Inactive Member Widespread_Panic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess Norton would be left behind since they are a City school? Coeburn and St Paul? Wise & Pound? how would it go? They could have 3 bigger new schools, I just don't want to see one big school calle Wise Co. High.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that scenario would work out. Even if you combined those schools it would still be a low student population. In my opinion, combining all of the schools in Wise Country into two schools would make more sense, if the county was going to build new buildings. I still don't understand why St. Paul and Appalchia are still around considering they only graduate about 30 kids every year. You could put those students into the high schools at Powell Valley and Coeburn without any class size problems. Once upon a time P.V. and Coeburn held well over 800 students and it's no where near that number today.
    The test is simple, if "your" team wins a national championship, do you get a championship ring? If the answer is yes, then you can say "we." If not, you can't.

Powell Valley is FULL, Basham's plan was to put the extra kids in portable classrooms. As far as St. Paul if ya kick the other county out maybe (close'em). But we educate illegals and treat them at hospitals. And with Lee entering single A , Wise East and West look pretty good. Now, Appy primary needs a gym, so does PV. But the folks that were for consolidation didn't want to give up their schools. They didn't want us to have a say in this to start. Gotta to have some band-aids for now, then gotta have a workable plan for the NEAR future. Tick-tock, hear that....that is time slipping away. All Appy ever asked was a voice and above the table dealings. St Paul's board bunch quit when it finally came into the open. Is JIB gonna want into the county when this takes place? Don't recall the story , but they have problems of their own. And again, we have 2 colleges in the county that already work with us, ALL the school's classrooms are undersized by 1/3 , they ALL gotta go or they ALL gotta stay. And I'm sure Lee will tell us the ups and downs of consolidation, if we are smart enough to ask. The tax money is here RIGHT now, some coal is selling for 70-100 bucks a ton. Or we could just sit and argue. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How do you all think this will affect Norton? Do you think alot of the county students will transfer to Burton? If that would be the case, then Norton would also need to build a new school. Burton itself is over 50yrs old. What are your opinions?
    "Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrafice. The price is paid in blood."

Inactive Member imported_juggernaut28's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There possibly could be alot of kids to want to goto another school besides the ones that combine together. But my understanding was if they did then they would have to pay $600 to do so. Someone with any information about this please post it. As far as my youngest child I will not move him, my oldest one will graduate before colsolidation does take place.

The_Sage

I think there would be 'some' transfers from appy and wise to Burton, and i'm sure a few stragglers from other conty schools. How many, i don't know. But i feel there would be enough to cause some class room situations at Norton. And, would little brothers or sisters transfer to elementary schools also? Consolidation in Wise County could create numerous situations for Norton City Schools.

From what i understand either coming back to the county or consolidation is Norton's saving grace also. Pick up students if the county does consolidate.
    The City is having a hard time funding all it has. I know some will disagree.
    But the writing is in on the wall for Norton as well as the county schools.
    I've more than voiced my thoughts and opinions on this issue. So i'll leave it at that.

Inactive Member imported_burrhead's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

But you know what??????????? After all the Basham bashing, it still comes down to Appalachia being shut down. Need to face the facts!!!!!!!!!!! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Inactive Member Widespread_Panic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    How do you all think this will affect Norton?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it depends on whether or not new schools are built when the consolidation occurs. If new schools are built and the facilities are top notch a lot of students will stay within the Wise County schools. I wouldn't be surprised if Norton kids transfer out of J.I. Burton to attend the new schools, especially if they build new gyms, stadiums, weight rooms, etc. I believe Hidden Valley in Roanoke County was built a few years ago and a lot of students in that area transferred out of Cave Springs because of the new facilities. On the other hand, if the existing buildings are used then J.I. Burton's enrollment might be on the rise.
    The test is simple, if "your" team wins a national championship, do you get a championship ring? If the answer is yes, then you can say "we." If not, you can't.