Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

High School Football

I heard that some schools from D2 are moving down to D1 this year. Is this true.. If it is post what teams are movin down...

Inactive Member imported_VHSLhelper's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: High School Football

Maybe

Since Battle, Lebanon, Va. High & Lee are joining the Region, it'll be up to 22 schools. But 11 were Div. 1 last year (via the 50% rule), so it shouldn't change MUCH.

Enrollment numbers aren't released until near the end of school, and the 50% rule can be used up to September, so it will be quite a while before we know officially who ends up where.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

With the Rye Cove Rule, yes ... some schools will appeal to drop to Div.1

With Lee High moving to Div. 2 at around 820 students! What the VHSL will do it take half of that and say ok, at 410 enrollment you may compete at Div.1

Honaker, Haysi and other teams will appeal and more then likey win and play at Div.1 next year.

In Div.2 Region D, we may have 7 teams competing for 4 spots! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/arcadefreak.gif[/img]

With Div.1 flooded with teams. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    [img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/dj_rizen/clinch_mountain_banner.png[/img]
    [url]http://s8.zetaboards.com/Clinch_Mtn_District/index/[/url]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lee has 840...for now, but from what I heard on 93.5 friday, it's not looking good next year, as far as going down that is. Large 8th grade class coming in. Lee and Abingdon seem to be the only schools on this side of the state not dropping. Something's got to give if that keeps up, but in the mean time I'm probably going to hate being in Region D, because I know what's going to happen, guess we'll just have to deal with it like GC did lol.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    Lee has 840...for now, but from what I heard on 93.5 friday, it's not looking good next year, as far as going down that is. Large 8th grade class coming in. Lee and Abingdon seem to be the only schools on this side of the state not dropping. Something's got to give if that keeps up, but in the mean time I'm probably going to hate being in Region D, because I know what's going to happen, guess we'll just have to deal with it like GC did lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's not looking good? Lee is going to Div. 2 ....there was a meeting this weekend in Charlottesville about it all. It's a done deal already! Nothing will change now.

Abingdon has over 1000 kids and will play in the SWD as will Marion.

I'm not sure what your talking about..."You know what's going to happen and have to deal with it like Gate City did?"

Gate City played up for years and probably should have played down sooner.
    [img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/dj_rizen/clinch_mountain_banner.png[/img]

Inactive Member imported_red_66's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If we start winning, everybody will be saying "Well no wonder they win, they're twice the size as everybody else!" Nevermind the fact that half of the schools dress out as many, or more players as Lee High. Lee High may have 840 students, but it's the same group of kids that play all the sports.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What red said above....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    If we start winning, everybody will be saying "Well no wonder they win, they're twice the size as everybody else!" Nevermind the fact that half of the schools dress out as many, or more players as Lee High. Lee High may have 840 students, but it's the same group of kids that play all the sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think people said that about GC when they dropped, they didn't & do not have that many kids enrolled to make such a statement! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    If some people did make statemenets toward GC they were clueless in most cases and just like running off at the mouth. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

At 840 kids in the school you may get that statement thrown in the direction of LEE HIGH! But most people with good football sense will know ...just because you have 840 kids in the school doesn't mean you have the best 11 you can get on the field. haha

I will say this LEE had a HUGE Oline last year!!! Will those Cowbells be coming back!? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]

Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

By the 50/50 split the Div1/Div2 schools will be the same as last year BUT with the 50% of the largest schools enrollment 4 teams should be able to appeal to play Div1 (so far that appeal has only once been denied and that was because Haysi was trying to use current year enrollment rather than the last odd year

the 4 teams are

1) Haysi (They MAY actually drop below the enrollment of 50/50 Div1 team and have already said that they plan to appeal to play down)

2) Clintwood (Only had 4 or 5 students more than Haysi in the last VHSL enrollment numbers from 05 but baring a big shift at Va High or Lee Clintwood would still have fewer than half the enrollment of both of those schools and I have been told that they to will appeal to play Div 1 if the opportunity to do so is available)

3) Honaker (Will be less than half the size of Lee But not Va High it will be interesting if that will make a difference since Lee is "Playing Down" I was told by a couple of Honaker folks at the Clintwood/Honaker Scrimmage said that they thought that the plan was to drop if allowed)

4) Coeburn (Same situation as Honaker but no word on whether they want to drop or not)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

True...11 football players are on the field for each respective school at the same time. And maybe both schools even have 30 more players standing on the sidelines.

But don't you think that a school with 840 kids has a much greater chance to have more athletes on their team than a school that has 300 kids?
    Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
    George Orwell

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast