Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132

Thread: With the first pick in the 2007 draft....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: With the first pick in the 2007 draft....

They'd be fine if they could stabilize the QB situation.

I feel like Jimmy brought alot of terrific talent to the dolphins. He just wasnt able to bring a Quarterback. Aikman was an easy pick for him in Dallas.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What do y'all think is the odds of Kalil falling into the 3rd round?...I'd like to see him in OAK. I think CIN got a good solid pick in Kenny Irons...but I'm an AU fan...so I guess I'm biased.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kenny Irons and Rudi Johnson, that should be fun for ya [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Id think Kalil would be off the board by round 3 but ya never know.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rudi has been underrated since he came into the league..I don't care much for cincy but I hope Irons has a good steady career there.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OAK trades for McCown and Mike Williams...sounds good on the surface, but I like to have em break it down..all I caught was a 4th round pick.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like my Fin's third pick:
    Samson Satele
    Height: 6-2
    Weight: 311
    Position: C
    College: Hawaii

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange

OVERVIEW
    The Warriors' coaching staff was concerned about protecting its star quarterback, Colt Brennan, entering the 2006 season. With starter Derek Faavi having graduated, there was a huge vacancy to fill at the center position. Satele (pronounced (sah-TELL-ay) approached head coach June Jones about moving to the pivot from left offensive guard. Not only did Satele solidify the Hawaii front wall, the versatile blocker quickly established himself as the premier pass protector in college football at his new position. With his raw power and nimble feet, pro scouts are comparing him to former San Francisco 49ers great Jesse Sapolu.

Satele was an all-state first-team selection by the Honolulu Star-Bulletin and The Honolulu Advertiser as a senior at Kailua High School. He was also named first-team all-league and earned All-America honors from Prep Star, a recruiting service that rated Satele as one of the top 20 offensive linemen in the West. He was the recipient of the Top Offensive Lineman Award at the 2001 Maverick Football clinic after leading the team to a share of the league title.

Satele also lettered three times in basketball. He was chosen all-state in hoops three consecutive seasons, adding all-league accolades as a junior and senior. He was also named the team's Most Valuable Player his junior year. Satele added three letters in track, competing in the shot put and discus. He was also named the school's Athlete of the Year for 2000-01.

Satele enrolled at Hawaii in 2002, spending the season performing on the scout team. He moved into the starting lineup immediately in 2003, lining up for the season opener at left tackle before moving to left guard for the rest of the 14-game schedule. He registered 48 knockdown blocks and allowed only one quarterback sack. For that performance, he earned second-team All-Western Athletic Conference and Scripps/FWAA first-team Freshman All-America honors.

Satele would go on to start every game that he played in for the Warriors. He lined up at left guard in 10 contests and at center for three games, producing 42 knockdowns with only one sack in 2004, picking up All-WAC second-team accolades. In 2005, he stayed at left guard for all 12 games. He registered 32 knockdowns, allowed two sacks and graded 86 percent for blocking consistency while garnering All-WAC first-team recognition.

Having moved back to center in 2006, Satele was an All-America first-team pick by The NFL Draft Report. He was named All-WAC first team, as he produced 65 knockdowns for an offense that generated 559.2 yards per game, paving the way for a unit that generated 84 touchdowns. What was even more impressive was that he held his main assignment to no tackles in seven of the 14 games he played in. In 53 games at Hawaii, all starts, Satele was credited with 177 knockdown blocks.

ANALYSIS
    Positives: Has the ability to sink his hips and use his lower body strength to anchor up &133; Has a typical center's build -- compact, with very thick legs, big bubble, big and strong hands, barrel chest, wide hips, but shorter than ideal arm length &133; Added more than 15 pounds of bulk prior to the 2006 season while increasing his strength &133; Has good short-area quickness, showing balance protecting the pocket &133; Builds his acceleration nicely and has good retreat agility to protect the quarterback &133; Has the power behind his initial burst to lock-on and gain advantage &133; Shows a confident, aggressive nature on the field, but takes on a good attitude and mentoring role for the younger players away from the game &133; Nasty, mean brawler who loves to mix it up in the trenches &133; Multiple-punch type of blocker, but will not get too out of control to draw penalties &133; Bit of a trash-talker, but based on his performance in 2006, he did a good job of backing it up &133; Has a good short-area burst out of his stance and is very active with his hands in attempts to lock on and sustain &133; Has enough speed to do a solid job of zoning a three-tech consistently and comes out of his stance with a low pad level and hands raised to wall off &133; Has a strong base and good balance to defeat the bull rush &133; Flashes a strong hand punch to jolt the defender and generates good leverage when blocking in closed quarters &133; Once he gains position, he is quick to sink his weight to anchor and sustain &133; Made great strides in shooting his hands coming off the snap &133; Has a punishing hand punch that helps his lock-on to the defender and the upper body strength to redirect the opponent &133; Generates good pop upon contact and can dominate when he extends his arms to lock-on &133; When working in-line, Satele is effective at gaining position to wall off the defender &133; Comes off the snap with strong leg drive and base, but does get too narrow in his base when blocking in space &133; Has the functional retreat quickness and arm extension to protect the pocket and stays low in his pads while driving hard with his legs to lock-on and sustain &133; Has the upper-body strength to consistently widen the rush lanes and, when he stays low in his pads, he can turn and steer the defensive tackle off the line &133; Can punch and replace with good lock-out &133; Better when allowed to see games up front and does a good job of bumping the opponent to negotiate the slant &133; Alert to stunts and twists, showing good patience letting the plays come to him rather than overextend or lunge to move out in space.

Negatives: Plays with good base and balance when stationary, but will sometimes get narrow in his stance when blocking on the move (susceptible to low tackles) &133; With his thick lower body, he plants himself firmly to stymie the bull rush, but is limited in his change-of-direction adjustments &133; Earlier in his career, Satele needed structure in his training habits, as he would slack off when not being monitored &133; Does not have the timed speed or explosion to consistently get into the second level, making him adequate on sweeps and pulls, but has that short-area power step that lets him get movement off the snap &133; While Satele shows good balance working in-line, he tends to get too narrow in his base and looks a bit lethargic in his lateral slide (needs to open his hips quicker when changing direction) &133; Will also get straight-legged when on the move, but he does a decent job of adjusting to shade movement &133; Lacks the body control to adjust on the move going long distances, struggling to take good angles vs. second-level defenders when on the move &133; Tends to drop his head when engaging linebackers and will struggle to shift his weight and redirect in attempts to wall-off.

Compares To: LeCharles Bentley, Cleveland Browns &133; Like Bentley, Satele plays with true aggression and knows how to use his strong hand punch to dominate blocking in-line &133; He keeps his pad level down and has the short-area power base to face up and sustain &133; He can land and explode on defenders in closed quarters, but is inconsistent maintaining his balance when asked to block on the move.

INJURY REPORT
    2002: granted a medical hardship after suffered a left shoulder sprain in August camp.

2005: Held out for three days during August camp (Aug. 10-12) to rest a sore right Achilles' tendon.

AGILITY TESTS
    Campus: 5.17 in the 40-yard dash &133; 420-pound bench press &133; Bench presses 225 pounds 29 times &133; 405-pound squat &133; 27-inch vertical jump &133; 8-foot-2 broad jump &133; 30¾-inch arm length &133; 9¾-inch hands &133; Right-handed.

HIGH SCHOOL
    Attended Kailua (Hawaii) High School, playing football for head coach Darren Johnson &133; All-state first-team selection by the Honolulu Star-Bulletin and The Honolulu Advertiser as a senior &133; Named first-team all-league and earned All-America honors from Prep Star, a recruiting service that rated Satele as one of the top 20 offensive linemen in the West &133; Recipient of the Top Offensive Lineman Award at the 2001 Maverick Football clinic after leading the team to a share of the league title &133; Lettered three times in basketball &133; Chosen all-state in hoops three consecutive seasons, adding all-league accolades as a junior and senior &133; Named the team's Most Valuable Player his junior year &133; Added three letters in track, competing in the shot put and discus &133; Named the school's Athlete of the Year for 2000-01.

PERSONAL
    Graduated in December, 2006, with a degree in Sociology &133; Son of Norine and Faalata Satele &133; Nephew of former Hawaii Warrior and San Diego Chargers linebacker Alvis Satele and former Rainbow Wahine volleyball player Lee Ann Pestana &133; Cousins, defensive end Melila Purcell (2003-06) and offensive guard Hercules Satele (2004-present), were teammates of Satele's on the Hawaii football team &133; Satele lives up to his first name, as the lineman has not had his hair cut since enrolling at Hawaii in 2002 &133; Born Nov. 29, 1984 in Kailua, O'ahu, Hawaii &133; Resides in Honolulu, Hawaii.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    btw, the jets have had the best draft so far IMO, revis was the best corner, and stole him from cincy.
    Im sorry, I had to bump this :grin: I called Revis on draft day, you could just see how great he was gonna be even at Pitt.

NYJ had the best draft in 07 by far, its not even close. They got two Pro Bowl players (Revis and Davis Harris)

Niners had a good draft as well, with two starters being taken in Staley and P Willis (best MLB in the NFL right now IM)
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
    wow on Kolb. If the Eagles dont want McNabb, I'll be happy to take him. I cant believe they just used their 1st pick on a backup QB.
    just been re-reading this thread. there are a ton of quotable post. If I quoted everyone it would be interesting. kind of funny that looking back on this thread and all the Brady Quinn drama and such. still a very interesting read thrugh and through.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]