Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: JIB/CW

IMO the JIB/CW game will not be close. Football is a game of match ups as we all know. Something that one team does well maybe something that another team defenses very well and vice-versa one thing a team doesn't do well may be something another team does very well.

With that said, Clintwood does have speed at positions buth they do not have the TEAM speed the Norton has. #28 is one of the best players on both sides of the ball that I have seen all year, #8 is also fast and talented and the fullback is a back that really hits the holes like a cobra. The offensive and defensive lines are sub-standard for Clintwood. No CJ Phillips out there.

Clintwood has an outstanding place kicker but so does Norton so that's a draw. The punt and punt return units have to go definitely towards Norton, my god they blocked three against Honaker and that's not the exception, but more the norm. If Norton decides to come for a punt hold on to your a@#.

As far as running straight ahead at Norton, it sounds like a logical philosophy, but one that is more easily said than done. Norton has three linebackers on the inside that would discourage the best of backs from "sticking it up in there". Godsey, Peters and Miles are all big enough,strong enough enough and mean enough to take whatever Clintwood throws at them between the tackles. They are also coached well enough to chase #44 on the counter play or they will simply blitz (like they have done for the last three years) and s#$# can Iso, stretch/zone or the pre-mentioned counter.

Passing the ball for Clintwood is a major possiblity if they can protect their quarterback (no duh I know), but it is a point. So many teams find themselves in so many third and longs against Norton that you might as well send out the punt team in order to save yourself a sack or interception woops forgot maybe punting isn't the best thing-there is always the chance of quick kicking out of the gun-haha.

I believe that Kelly sort of exploited Clintwood's defensive flank at the beginning of the game with the jet sweep (oh btw Norton runs this just a little better than Kelly-lol) and this allowed Kelly to run the ball inside with more success than any of us Kelly fans would have dreamed. Stats don't lie and Kelly moved the ball on Clintwood utilizing the same type of offensive philosophy that Norton utilizes albeit a much slower version.

Summing it all up:
    Offense-advantage Norton too diverse, too many weapons and too fast-their offensive line has improved througout the year no matter how much people want to argue it.

Defense-big time advantage Norton-Clintwood's inside linebackers can't hang with Norton's speed and they must play a role in being there for cut backs when Clintwood's OLBer's and FS #8 force the sweep-they won't be there and if they do then here comes Miles and Stewart up the middle. Pick your poison for they are all fatal.

Special teams-advantage Norton-Kelly started at midfield on nearly all kick offs (team speed really shows up in special teams) and I didn't see that happen when Kelly and Norton played. Who knows #44 might kick it out of the end zone which IMO is the only way that Clintwood contains Norton KOR team. Punt teams already been discussed as well as Field goal kickers in which I said IMO is a draw between #17 and #44-they are both talented.

Home field advantage means nothing to me IMO since as it has been stated that this game has historically been a good one regardless of venue or record.

Norton 35
    Clintwood 14

BTW-Clintwood doesn't beat PV w/out Cedric stinking it up-not taking anything away from CW they are a class act on and off the field. The gesture they made to Norton before the game last year to Mrs. Harriss is the classiest thing I have ever seen or heard of. Clintwood people support your coach and his staff they are awesome and going further the Clintwood kids always play the game the way it was meant to be played-hard and with their mouth's shut (I'm sure I'll get a response from that from the Haysi fans but I can only comment on what I've seen or experienced.

Good luck to both Clintwood and Norton for the rest of the year and in the playoffs.
    Curious1

Inactive Member imported_bentley's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

oops
    I meant to say that Norton's linebackers will NOT chase 44 on the counter play. Got caught up in my ramblings again.

Once again, no offense to the Clintwood football team or their fans it's just my opinion.
    Curious1

Inactive Member imported_bentley's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Syntax those parapraphs were for you baby-YEAH you gotta luv it. Wo I think I'm going to have to stop now the room is starting to spin-haha
    Curious1

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Curious1 I have to agree with you on this. Very well put!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

CW 28
    JIB 24

For some reason, I don't see JIB winning a regular season game the rest of the year.

Inactive Member imported_brettc's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

you will get no arguement from me about the sportsmanship of clintwoods players or coaching staff class act all the way around

as far as the game I think clintwood will win I watched the JIB Honaker game and what killed Honaker was that they had two punts blocked not because JIB is so great at blocking punts but that honakers up back got pushed into the punter and with JIB rushing almost everyone a fake punt pass would have been a BIG play but honaker never tried it those blocks swung all of the momentum in burtons favor

JIB is a Very good team but are Far from unbeatable if clintwood shows up they can win

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

you must be crazy to say #17 kicks better than #44. Hes got the lpd kicker every year hes played and hes 5/5 in field goals this year what is #17?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: curious1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Syntax those parapraphs were for you baby-YEAH you gotta luv it. Wo I think I'm going to have to stop now the room is starting to spin-haha </div></div>

LOL poster of the year. You could create a novel from this stuff! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]
    Officially retired

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yep..the best kicker in the LPD wears a green helmet on Friday nights...and anyone believing otherwise needs to put down the hash pipe.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just curious, is Norton's kicker the same as it was last year. If it is, he has improved a lot.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.