Page 14 of 135 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing/MMA Fights - local, national, world

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Spider/Okami at UFC 88

I only got to see the highlights broadcast during the Pay-per-view show.. for some reason Comcast didn't carry the FSN Affliction: Live...

If i'm not mistaken, he beat the crap out of Terry Martin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Belfort looked real impressive. Old Vitor.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why move up when you are the king of your realm.. He's a perfect 185er...
    He wont have to gain weight to fight at 205, he walks around normally at 215 then cuts to 185.

he does speak some english, not the best in the world, but he's learning.

Pioneer and Raider.. stop arguing all over this thread about who speaks what and when and all that crap.. it's a MMA topic.. that's what you talk about..

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

He will lose within a couple of years at the most. It's the nature of the MMA beast.....

He does have weaknesses that can be and actually have been exploited. Just hasn't happened in the UFC.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Getting back to "the" submission, the Peruvian necktie, or whatever it's called.

It was good to see something new in a major MMA event for a change. Looks like a no-gi version of a gi choke that Gokor Chivichyan used back in the day. It's alot easier to catch with a gi on though because you can use the other guys lapel.

Several fairly high percentage submissions out there that I've never seen landed in a major event. Short-arm-scissors, inverted hell hook against turtled opponent, cross-face from rear side cross mount, shin-lock, true keylock (what mma announcers call a keylock is actually a top wrist lock or americana).

You'd think someone would have done some of these? I saw Jerry Bohlander try a scorpion (not the pro wrestling hold) but the round ended. Seen a couple of attempts at folded knee-locks and of course the Frank Mir shoulder lock from guard were all decent (out of the box) submissions. But there are tons of others out there.

I still remember the look on Juan Mott's (former mma fighter) face when Shane Tucker caught a guy in a time-lock at a grappling tournament in Maryville years ago [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

In a time-lock you are lying parallel to your opponent, both facing up, but you have their arm trapped in such a way that it creates a shoulder lock, and forces them to remain on their back.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He will lose within a couple of years at the most. It's the nature of the MMA beast.....

He does have weaknesses that can be and actually have been exploited. Just hasn't happened in the UFC.

</div></div>

You are correct, and I'm just wondering if Okami will be able to exploit this weakness?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PioneerBlue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can not, and will not pull for a guy who doesn't even speak english. </div></div>

Yeah, no matter how good an athlete he is or how good a person he is, let's say "screw him!" because he doesn't speak our language!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PioneerBlue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Class act?? Seemed a bit cocky to me. </div></div>

Are you serious? That's always something people point out about Anderson Silva - how he's always so respectful and such a great champion because of the respect he shows for other fighters.

Did you even watch any of his other fights? A great example would be his crushing wins over Rich Franklin, after which the two embraced and showed great respect for one another.

If you watched the pre-Ultimate Fight Night show detailing the event, it specifically pointed out those characteristics of Silva. What was it you saw that made him seem cocky? Last night I didn't see anything of that sort. Did you see him after the fight, going over to Irvin and taking a bow as a show of respect to him and his camp? Or did you completely miss that part too?

20080719 spt ufcfolo17 t652
    Officially retired

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think I saw Andrei Arlovksi go for an inverted heel hook on Big Ben Rothwell last night.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PassMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PioneerBlue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can not, and will not pull for a guy who doesn't even speak english. </div></div>

Yeah, no matter how good an athlete he is or how good a person he is, let's say "screw him!" because he doesn't speak our language!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PioneerBlue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Class act?? Seemed a bit cocky to me. </div></div>

Are you serious? That's always something people point out about Anderson Silva - how he's always so respectful and such a great champion because of the respect he shows for other fighters.

Did you even watch any of his other fights? A great example would be his crushing wins over Rich Franklin, after which the two embraced and showed great respect for one another.

If you watched the pre-Ultimate Fight Night show detailing the event, it specifically pointed out those characteristics of Silva. What was it you saw that made him seem cocky? Last night I didn't see anything of that sort. Did you see him after the fight, going over to Irvin and taking a bow as a show of respect to him and his camp? Or did you completely miss that part too?

20080719 spt ufcfolo17 t652 </div></div>

What I think he meant was the factor, that Silva smiles, laughs, and does his signature little dance after winning a fight. He has emotions, just like any other human.
    Some people who post on the MMA thread are pure idiots.

Inactive Member imported_PioneerBlue's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes that's exactly what I meant. He did it before the fight on his way to the octagon as well. He's good, but he's by no means unbeatable he was just fighting a bum last night. Irvin didn't even put up his hands once Silva caught his leg.
    Cheering for Twin Springs is like cheering for the Taliban