Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Boxing/MMA Fights - local, national, world

Thanks for making this a sticky thread. I love talking about MMA.

Hey passman, Shogun, when healthy, is the best LHW in the world. Not taking anything away from Forrest but he was not 100% in that fight.

If things go according to plan, we may get to see Wandy/Ramapge III soon. Cant wait to see the Wandy dominate him again.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anyone ordering UFC 86: Jackson vs Griffin?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A bout between "The Ultimate Fighter 3"? winner Michael Bisping (16-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) and veteran UFC middleweight Chris Leben (18-4 MMA, 8-3 UFC) will headline a recently announced UFC 89 event.

Marshall Zelaznik, the head of the UFC's UK division, made the announcement this week on Setanta News Ultimate Talk Show, a weekly UFC news show that airs on the U.K.'s Setanta Television.

UFC 89 takes place Oct. 18 at The National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, England.

Zelaznik said that both competitors have agreed to the fight, though he didn't clarify if bout agreements have been signed.

Bisping and Leben had been scheduled for a June 7 event in London. However, Leben was forced off the card when he had to serve jail time for a probation violation stemming from an earlier DUI arrest.

Bisping, England's most popular UFC fighter, suffered his first career defeat this past November in a split-decision loss to Rashad Evans. He's since rebounded for first-round knockouts of Charles McCarthy and Jason Day. He'll now fight in a UFC-England event for the fourth time.

Leben, a production of the first season of "The Ultimate Fighter,"? hit a recent skid when he suffered three losses in the span of four fights. However, he recently scored a third-round knockout of Terry Martin and a first-round TKO of Alessio Sakara.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: burton2019</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A bout between "The Ultimate Fighter 3"? winner Michael Bisping (16-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) and veteran UFC middleweight Chris Leben (18-4 MMA, 8-3 UFC) will headline a recently announced UFC 89 event.

Marshall Zelaznik, the head of the UFC's UK division, made the announcement this week on Setanta News Ultimate Talk Show, a weekly UFC news show that airs on the U.K.'s Setanta Television.

UFC 89 takes place Oct. 18 at The National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, England.

Zelaznik said that both competitors have agreed to the fight, though he didn't clarify if bout agreements have been signed.

Bisping and Leben had been scheduled for a June 7 event in London. However, Leben was forced off the card when he had to serve jail time for a probation violation stemming from an earlier DUI arrest.

Bisping, England's most popular UFC fighter, suffered his first career defeat this past November in a split-decision loss to Rashad Evans. He's since rebounded for first-round knockouts of Charles McCarthy and Jason Day. He'll now fight in a UFC-England event for the fourth time.

Leben, a production of the first season of "The Ultimate Fighter,"? hit a recent skid when he suffered three losses in the span of four fights. However, he recently scored a third-round knockout of Terry Martin and a first-round TKO of Alessio Sakara. </div></div>

that is a horrible, horrible head-liner.. Another UFC even that should be free.

I hate to say it, I was excited about the UFC in Atlanta. I was ready to get my tickets and go, but then it's a fight between Chuck and Rashad. Not taking anything away from Chuck, he's had his run, and he's done great. But he's just not someone who can draw my interest to that card.

Just by the way it looks on paper, Affliction has blown UFC cards out the window.
    The last UFC I watched, that the whole card was a great night of fights, would've been I think the night Griffin beat Rua. Rua wasn't 100%, but that was still one of the overall best cards.
    Well crap, I just lied.. the last UFC card with Tito vs Machida, Jardine vs Silva, Sherk vs Penn.. that was a damn good card too.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bisping is headlining this card because its in London. Rumor has it that the winner will get a title shot.

The winner of the Patrick Cote vs Richard Almeida fight at UFC 86 will fight Spider for the MW belt. The winner of the Bisping/Leben fight will prolly be the next in line.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, you're 100% right.
    I don't think any of them stands a chance with Silva.
    I'm excited to see him step into 205.
    Everyone is saying "how will he do it?", "he's going up a weight class", "won't he have to gain weight?".. and I'm like, NO.. Silva actually walks around at about 215, and cuts down to fight at 185. So, 205 won't be bad for him at all. I don't think he'll rip through the rankings, but he'll be in the top contenders of 205 within a years time.
    I really believe he'll be another UFC dual title holder.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The next two fights around here that i know of are Gladiator on August 2nd in Pikeville at the Expo center and then the Arena August 9th at the wise fairground.
    "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." -Pre

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kid Yamamoto calls out Faber?

Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto was the star attraction at the "Asakasa Fight Festival" Monday at TBS headquarters in Asakasa, Tokyo. The Japanese wrestler's appearance kicked off a promotional week leading into Fighting & Entertainment Group's K-1 World MAX tournament on July 7 and July 21's Dream 5 lightweight grand prix final.

After introducing his training partners and coaches, Kid jumped off the sidelines and put on a wrestling demonstration with his son after a sparring session with Kotetsu Boku (Pictures).

Later, Kid sat down with K-1 Event Producer Sadaharu Tanikawa to discuss the upcoming K-1 MAX finals and field questions from fans.

Yamamoto and Tanikawa joked that Urijah Faber (Pictures) student Joseph Benavidez (Pictures) -- who will face the Japanese powder keg at Dream 5 -- was sent over on behalf of Faber as an assassin. Yamamoto also displayed uncharacteristic respect for his opponent.

"I want a punch KO for my Dream debut," said Yamamoto. "I want to do it quickly. I have to be cautious of the takedown. He is strong; he is really good. I want to do it quickly."

Although Kid predicted a knockout, his recent training has not reflected his goals. Kid said that under the tutelage of two new Brazilian jiu-jitsu coaches he has been focusing on his ground game.

"They have shown me a new way of positioning on the ground and are teaching me to use my head more," said Yamamoto. "I have been spending about 50 percent of my time [training jiu-jitsu]. My positioning and sweeps are good but my submissions are still in the initial stages. Everyone else is getting better [on the ground]. I am far from being a black belt in jiu-jitsu but I'd like to get there."

Yamamoto also issued a challenge to WEC featherweight champion Faber, who has been long suggested as a worthy opponent for the aggressive fighter.

"He is welcome to come. I want that fight soon," said Yamamoto.

However, outside of Yamamoto's vague invitation, no indication was made that the dream match might actually happen.

Yamamoto's wife, Tamotsu Mari, was also in attendance wearing a gi and announced that she has also started training. Although she stated that she has been enjoying her jiu-jitsu training, it is unlikely fans would see the significant other of the MMA great in the ring anytime soon.

The two started dating after a K-1 MAX show in February 2004 when Yamamoto saw his future wife backstage. Mari leaned in to give Yamamoto a kiss on the cheek and at the last minute changed her mind and instead bit him. From that point on Kid was smitten.

The festival's promotional week will continue with appearances by lightweight grand prix semifinalists Shinya Aoki (Pictures), Tatsuya Kawajiri (Pictures) and Caol Uno (Pictures). Middleweight standout Yoshihiro Akiyama (Pictures) will hold a public training and sparring session, Pancrase legend Masakatsu Funaki (Pictures) and other former pro wrestlers will reunite and a host of MAX stars will train and give interviews, with free K-1 MAX special matches taking place on Saturday afternoon.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Kid Yamamoto calls out Faber?

Any upcoming local stuff going on?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tennessee sanctions MMA bouts....

The state of Tennessee has passed legislation that calls for the sanctioning of mixed martial arts, which opens the door for the Ultimate Fighting Championship and other major organizations to host events in Memphis, Nashville and other cities.

In fact, it was the UFC that led the charge to get the sport sanctioned in Tennessee, the home of UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson.

Gov. Phil Bredesen will put the legislation into effect today.

Jackson and Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner were especially prominent in the process. Both met with lawmakers to describe the benefits of MMA, and Ratner even wrote guest columns for local media.

"Stateside, Tennessee is a hotbed for MMA," Ratner recently wrote in The Tennessean. "'Quinton "Rampage' Jackson, our light-heavyweight champion and one of the sport's true superstars, is a proud native of Memphis, and once the new Tennessee Athletic Commission is formed and has all the rules in place, we will be looking at Tennessee as a state to host a fight. We believe that with their beautiful arenas and diehard fan base, Memphis or Nashville would be great hosts for a UFC event."

As part of the legislation, Tennessee will create a state athletic commission to regulate the sport.

The process to sanction MMA in "The Volunteer State" began this past October. State Rep. Curry Todd. (R-Collierville/Germantown) was the key legislator in the process, and he received help from Sen. Doug Jackson (D-Dickson).

Memphis (670,000 residents) and Nashville (552,000) are Tennessee's two largest cities. Likely venues for future UFC events include Nashville's Sommet Center (19,000 capacity) and Memorial Gymnasium (14,000 capacity), as well as The Pyramid Arena (21,000 capacity) in Memphis.