Page 36 of 135 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344454686 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing/MMA Fights - local, national, world

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Spider/Okami at UFC 88

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Much as I detest Shamrock, I hope he beats the crap out of Kimbo. </div></div>

Ditto . . it would be absolutely hilarious to see him catch Kimbo in a submission. I just don't know if he has enough power left in him to even take Kimbo down, though. It would be pathetic if he made the same mistake as he did against Robert Berry - try and stand up only to get knocked out by a lame punch.
    Officially retired

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If he gets Kimbo down then its over. Dont know if he can do it or not, thats a wait and see. EXC needs Kimbo and Carano to win. They are floundering as a company, and Showtime is even in talk of outright purchasing them. Adding Arlovski to the card is huge. They need big numbers/ratings on this CBS card.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kimbo will win.. Shamrock will get knocked out.
    Carano will win becase EliteXC wants her to win.

Arlovski will be a great fight.. he'll dominate.. and I can't wait to watch [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Reports are coming out that Anderson Silva may retire after next year. Says he has nothing else to prove. Can't say I'd argue with him.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mark Cuban's HDNet channel has emerged as the frontrunner for all of the remaining assets of the International Fight League, which filed for bankruptcy Sept. 15.

Forms were filed Wednesday with the Securities and Exchange Commission requesting that the publicly owned IFL be given permission to sell its remaining assets to the network. The forms also requested that HDNet be given every consideration as a potential buyer as the IFL's assets go to the auction block through Oct. 23.

HDNet has offered a buying price of $650,000 for all intellectual property, including the IFL's film, video and image library; its five-roped competition ring and team trademarks; and proprietary rights, including its Web site. The proposed transaction also includes any remaining broadcast contracts the IFL acquired during its two-year tenure, which includes a deal with Fox Sports Network.

HDNet Fights broadcasts a multitude of MMA events, including Strikeforce, Affliction and Japan's Dream promotion. The company's CEO, Andrew Simon, was not immediately available for comment.

The IFL promoted 23 events in 24 months and spotlighted notable fighters like Ben Rothwell, Chris Horodecki, Jay Hieron and Rory Markham. Many of the IFL's brightest stars have recently signed deals with the UFC, WEC, EliteXC and Affliction Entertainment.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The UFC will open 2009 in Dublin, Ireland, the promotion announced Tuesday.

The Jan. 17 event, which will take place at the O2 Dublin, will feature a light heavyweight main event between Dan Henderson and Rich Franklin.

"This is the fight my fans have wanted for a long time now, and they want to see me fight Rich Franklin,"? said Henderson in a news release. "I think this will be a great fight for Ireland. It definitely will be exciting because we both like to stand and bang, and we both have knockout power. I'm excited to go to Ireland and to take on Rich; I think he's a tough opponent and a huge challenge, but I don't see myself losing to him."?

Henderson had been competing at 185 pounds since returning to the UFC in September 2007, though he spent much of his career fighting heavier opponents. Franklin, a former UFC middleweight champion, returned to 205 pounds last month with a win over Matt Hamill.

"Dan Henderson has great credentials, and he is going to be one of the toughest fights of my career,"? Franklin said. "That being said, I'm planning on winning the fight, and I'm looking forward to fighting in the main event and fighting in Ireland. I love the fans, and the way they react by singing and chanting makes it a unique experience for me."?

Also on the card will be a rematch Mauricio "Shogun"? Rua and former UFC heavyweight champion Mark Coleman.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

25770a

CBS Sat night at 9pm. If you're watching football, dvr it. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Kimbo Slice vs. Ken Shamrock
    Andrei Arlovski vs. Roy Nelson
    Gina Carano vs. Kelly Kobald
    Jake Shields vs. Paul Daley
    Murilo Rua vs. Benji Radach
    Cris Cyborg vs. Yoko Takahashi

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson will meet Brazilian legend Wanderlei Silva for the third time, and Forrest Griffin will defend his light heavyweight crown against unbeaten Rashad Evans in two featured bouts at UFC 92 on Dec. 27 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Yahoo! Sports reported the matchups on Thursday.

Jackson (28-7) has not competed since he surrendered the light heavyweight title to Griffin in a unanimous decision loss at UFC 86. He was arrested 10 days later in Costa Mesa, Calif., after he allegedly took authorities on a vehicular chase through the streets and sidewalks of Costa Mesa and Newport Beach. The 30-year-old Memphis, Tenn., native still faces two felony charges and four misdemeanors that could put him behind bars for three years.

The charismatic Jackson lost to Silva twice in less than a year -- by technical knockout at Pride "Final Conflict 2003"? and by knockout at Pride 28 -- in Japan, but the two superstars have never met inside a cage. Jackson's surprising loss to Griffin three months ago snapped a six-fight winning streak that included victories against 2000 Olympic silver medalist Matt Lindland, one-time UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell and two-time Olympian Dan Henderson.

Silva (32-8-1), meanwhile, has electrified UFC crowds with his unique brand of violence since he returned to the promotion in December 2007. The 32-year-old Brazilian once went more than four years without tasting defeat. He last appeared at UFC 84 in May, when he annihilated the highly regarded Keith Jardine in just 36 seconds. One of the sport's premier finishers, he has secured 26 of his 32 wins by KO, TKO or submission.

The UFC's year-end show will feature another main event-worthy showdown in the 205-pound division, as Griffin (16-4) defends his belt for the first-time against the fast-rising Evans.

Arguably the promotion's most-popular fighter, Griffin's stock skyrocketed after back-to-back victories against Jackson and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. Based out of Xtreme Couture Mixed Martial Arts in Las Vegas, he has won nine of his last 11 bouts, including three straight.

Evans (12-0-1), meanwhile, announced his arrival as an elite light heavyweight in September, when he scored a devastating second-round KO against Liddell at UFC 88 in Atlanta. Once criticized for his plodding style and inability to finish, Evans has delivered three of his last four wins by knockout. A draw with former champion Tito Ortiz in July 2007 remains the only blemish on his resume.

An interim heavyweight championship match pairing current titleholder Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira with Frank Mir will anchor UFC 92. The two men serve as coaches on the latest season of "The Ultimate Fighter"? reality series.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Following a phenomenal run in the inaugural Dream Lightweight Grand Prix, Philadelphia's own Eddie Alvarez is ready to return to fighting in the United States and his first test appears to be Nick Diaz on Nov. 8 for the vacant Elite XC 160-pound divisional title. The belt was recently stripped from its first holder, K.J. Noons in a dispute between the fighter and the promotion.

Alvarez just recently got married, but as soon as he returned his fight schedule was almost immediately filled with a chance to put gold around his waist.

"I got back from my honeymoon about a week and a half ago and as soon as I got back I was on the horse that Monday,"? Alvarez said in an exclusive interview with MMAWeekly.com. "I'll be fighting Nick Diaz, we're about 90-something percent positive I'll be fighting Nick Diaz for the EliteXC title at 160 (pounds)."?

While bout agreements have yet to be signed, and EliteXC Vice President Jared Shaw would not commit to the bout during an appearance on MMAWeekly Radio Wednesday night, the fight has been verbally agreed to and seems all but a go between to the two lightweight contenders.

After fighting in Japan for most of this year, with a new six-fight contract with EliteXC in hand, Alvarez is excited to return home and face a tough challenge from the always-interesting Diaz.

"Nick's a great opponent, he poses a lot of threats. Very good striking, as well as good jiu-jitsu, so he's been in the game a while, he's a pure fighter and I like that,"? commented Alvarez. "He gets a lot of bad rap from a lot of people with his attitude, but deep down he likes to fight, he enjoys to fight and I consider myself the same kind of person. I enjoy to fight, my heart's in this."?

While competing in Japan, Alvarez made the 154-pound weight limit for the tournament, but he's excited to fight at 160 pounds when he returns to EliteXC in November.

"I like 160, I feel like at 160 I'm stronger, I'm faster, I'm not as depleted as I am at 155,"? he said. "I'm excited, I can't wait for this to happen."?

Many fans have been clamoring to find out what Alvarez would do next and while a return to Japan isn't out of the question, the former Bodog champion says that "Dream is behind him."?

Now his focus turns to a title fight against Nick Diaz and he's already back in training and ready for a showdown that could top his already impressive bouts from earlier this year.

"I think it makes for a great battle and the fans are going to win in the end,"? Alvarez stated. "That's all that really matters, you get paid in the end and the fans are happy."?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kimbo is pure class . . check out the interview at the beginning of this segment:
    <object width="440" height="361">
    <param name="movie" value="http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=3622088"/>
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent"/>
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/>
    <embed src="http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=3622088" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowScriptAccess="always" width="440" height="361"></embed>
    </object>

I wish I was being sarcastic, but the way in which he just brushes off insults and attacks from others and still praises Dana White and B.J. Penn after the negative comments towards him really speaks a lot about his respect and integrity. He seems like a pretty cool dude who is just trying to make the best of what he's got in the MMA world and who is trying to improve as much as possible.
    Officially retired