Page 77 of 135 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687127 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing/MMA Fights - local, national, world

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Boxing/MMA Fights - local, national, world

marcus jones, brendan schaub, matt mitrione and wes shivers are former NFL players

didnt wes sims used to fight in the UFC?
    i remember his fight with mir

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sims did fight a few times in the UFC. More or less a no class buffoon.
    crack is whack

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Arena show in Abingdon went pretty well Saturday night. I had nothing to do as none of the fights made it past the second round. Over all it was a very good show IMO and was probably the best job of match-making by the Arena so far. Several fights had the potential on paper to be very evenly matched distance fights. It just didn't happen that way.

Former Appy running back Chris Clark fought, losing by RNC in the second as I remember.

Kevin Depriest won when his opponent refused to answer the bell for the second round, claiming a hand injury.

J.J. Stewart won over Scooter Deckinson (filter won't allow correct spelling of his name) with an inside hell-hook.

The Keene kid from Grundy beat Chris Love. His strong wrestling base was a huge factor.

Ned Spears submitted Shane Carroll RNC I believe in the first.

That's just going by memory, might have a couple of minor things wrong, but I'm pretty sure on the winners. If anyone has a question about any of these fights or any others on the card I'll try to remember them as best I can.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How did you have the first round of the Depriest fight scored? I thought the first round was very evenly matched. I was shocked when the Summers guy didn't answer the bell, I've not seen all of Depriest's fights but he was challenged more in this one than the others I've seen.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tito Ortiz close to signing four-fight deal with Strikeforce, possible first bout with Babalu in October

June 28, 2009 by Dustin James

It’s been over a year since we last saw “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” Tito Ortiz (15-6-1) compete in an MMA fight. After losing to Lyoto Machida at UFC 84 in May of 2008, Ortiz decided to part ways with the UFC and hasn’t seen any action since.

According to Ortiz, he’s about to become the latest member of the Strikeforce family.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion was a guest of honor at last night’s UCFC “Clementi vs. Jensen” show in Pittsburgh at the Mellon Arena. In between fights, Ortiz entered the ring and announced to the crowd that he was extremely close to signing a four-fight deal with the Strikeforce promotion. Not only that, but he also mentioned that he could face Renato “Babalu” Sobral at a Strikeforce event in October.

Perhaps the biggest surprise of all was when Ortiz announced to the crowd that if he does sign the four-fight deal with Strikeforce that he would like his fourth fight to be a catchweight bout against the #1 heavyweight in the world, Fedor Emelianenko.

At one time, Ortiz was considered one of the best fighters in the world. Upon making his MMA debut at UFC 13 back in 1997, Ortiz compiled a 5-2 record with the company before defeating Wanderlei Silva for the UFC light heavyweight title.

Ortiz went on to hold the belt for three years before losing to Randy Couture at UFC 44. Since then Ortiz has had a very rocky relationship with the UFC and it’s owner, Dana White.

After losing to Machida last year, Ortiz decided it was time to move on with his career. Since then he has appeared as a “special guest” for multiple MMA promotions such as EliteXC, Strikeforce, and Affliction. He has also mentioned a number of “rumored” deals with other MMA promotions in the past, but nothing has yet to come to fruition. Perhaps this time we will finally see the return of one of MMA’s true “bad boys”.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Im not paying to watch Ortiz fight.
    GO VOLS

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pvfan View Post
    How did you have the first round of the Depriest fight scored? I thought the first round was very evenly matched. I was shocked when the Summers guy didn't answer the bell, I've not seen all of Depriest's fights but he was challenged more in this one than the others I've seen.
    I scored it 10-9 for Depriest based on the last 20/30 seconds in which he dominated an otherwise very close round. I believe Doc scored it 10-9 for Depriest also, I have no idea how the other judge scored it.

Summers was claiming to have dislocated a couple of fingers from what I've heard.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ufc 100 is this saturday...lets hear those picks

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i cant wait!!!!

Brock Lesnar v. Frank Mir Heavyweight Title Match
    Frank Mir

Georges St. Pierre v. Thiago Alves Welterweight Title Match
    GSP in the best fight of the night.

Michael Bisping v. Dan Henderson Middleweight
    Henderson

Jon Fitch v. Paul Thiago Welterweight
    Fitch

Yoshihiro Akiyama v. Alan Belcher Middleweight
    Akiyama

Mark Coleman v. Stephan Bonnar Light Heavyweight
    Bonnar

Mac Danzig v. Jim Miller Lightweight
    Danzig

Jon Jones v. Jake O'Brien Light Heavyweight
    Jones

Dong Hyun Kim v. TJ Grant Welterweight
    Kim

CB Dolloway v. Tom Lawlor Middleweight
    Dolloway

Matt Griece v. Shannon Gugerty Lightweight
    Gugerty

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't see a single pick Biggin made that differs from how I feel it will go down, although I'm still not 100% sure about the Mir/Lesnar fight just because Lesnar is so furious and unpredictable and could easily end the fight early if he does the right things and stays calm unlike his first fight versus Mir. I hope this UFC will live up to the hype and that we'll get some great finishes and all-out wars.
    Officially retired