Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: We Are All Football-Starved

Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    I was thinking the combination would be JJK-SP, Coeburn-Pound and PV-Appy.
    The school board has publicly stated they would combine schools to have 660 kids (approx) at each site.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    I think one huge school in Wise Co is the last thing, the last resort because it will just kill everything. Education is top on the list of most important but dont discount extracricular activities as a building block for a well rounded student. universities look at that a lot too now a days. they want well rounded students that get out and do thing outside the classroom.
    As an alum of Powell Valley and UVa-Wise my education at Powell Valley provided me very little in terms of actually being prepared for college level work. It did however teach me the importance of beating Gate City and Appalachia High Schools. Our priorities are out of whack, you speak of extra curricular activities. If we build one school we could have a real band, maybe even an orchestra for crying out loud, imagine what our extra academic programs would look like. Maybe kids can actually go to class instead of cheating their way through a college level course that is taught online while someone who is not even a teacher supervises? We may actually have a real school.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Inactive Member collegetrumpet2010's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pvfan View Post
    As an alum of Powell Valley and UVa-Wise my education at Powell Valley provided me very little in terms of actually being prepared for college level work. It did however teach me the importance of beating Gate City and Appalachia High Schools. Our priorities are out of whack, you speak of extra curricular activities. If we build one school we could have a real band, maybe even an orchestra for crying out loud, imagine what our extra academic programs would look like. Maybe kids can actually go to class instead of cheating their way through a college level course that is taught online while someone who is not even a teacher supervises? We may actually have a real school.
    A Wise County super school would create a marching band with well over 200 students is what I would see.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know it went to consolidation pretty naturally as a tangent off of football--but let's keep this thread on task. If you want to discuss consolidation, there's a bunch of threads on the Non Sports board to do it.

That being said, I love baseball and have gotten back into it more this year...but football is indeed king around here. I'm ready for some HS football and the college variety as well.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The 3 in 1 idea is not the end of the world and it could be ALOT more flexable for the future......As far as sports goes will the 3 schools have 3 fields or share 1 (like Bluefield/Grahm)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Education in the county must have dropped off a cliff in the past 10 years...my sister graduated from PV and aced Roanoke College and later made it through medical school at VCU with no problems...and the only classes she took in high school were on campus classes at PVHS. And, I didn't do too bad myself after 4 years at PV....I'm no braniac, but Clinch Valley College (UVA-Wise) was a virtual cake walk...and I didn't even begin classes there until nearly 4 years after I graduated due to the Army and a year at MECC Tech. IMO, It has little to nothing nothing to do with the school building ...it has to do with the ability and effort of the student and the ability of the teacher...and the sense of entitlement so prevalent in today's youth. News Flash guys...not everyone is capable. It's like teachers used to tell kids before it became politically incorrect to do so..."the world needs ditch diggers too"... That's the cold hard reality of it.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You guys need to check out the Gate City and Va High baseball teams. One of those two will win a state title in baseball this year! They are unbelievable. PV played both of them this year and it was no competition. Va High has a strong baseball tradition with 4 or 5 AA state championships! CMD is by far a better district than the LPD! These LPD fans need to realize that the cumberland is catching up to the lpd and the CMD has passed it!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hope they do...but I've not seen a CMD team hoist any state gold in any of the 3 major sports that I can remember...athletics as a whole is going downhill..fast

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sup-rbeast View Post
    Education in the county must have dropped off a cliff in the past 10 years...my sister graduated from PV and aced Roanoke College and later made it through medical school at VCU with no problems...and the only classes she took in high school were on campus classes at PVHS. And, I didn't do too bad myself after 4 years at PV....I'm no braniac, but Clinch Valley College (UVA-Wise) was a virtual cake walk...and I didn't even begin classes there until nearly 4 years after I graduated due to the Army and a year at MECC Tech. IMO, It has little to nothing nothing to do with the school building ...it has to do with the ability and effort of the student and the ability of the teacher...and the sense of entitlement so prevalent in today's youth. News Flash guys...not everyone is capable. It's like teachers used to tell kids before it became politically incorrect to do so..."the world needs ditch diggers too"... That's the cold hard reality of it.
    I see your point and agree to a degree. However, I would think your time in the service allowed you to mature while allowing you to get your priorities in line. I survived UVa-Wise and am going to start a master's program this fall. Saying that, I never had homework at Powell Valley High School, I took AP classes where instead of reading an important literary work we read exerts, and wrote in class papers. I can't ever recall having to use the library at Powell Valley, using a computer database to look up information on a topic was new to me. Maybe I'm wrong but to me those are things that need to be taught in the high school. This year kids in Appalachia can't even take keyboarding, how bad does that make us look. It is 2010, a kid may have to use a computer at some point?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I see your point and agree to a degree. However, I would think your time in the service allowed you to mature while allowing you to get your priorities in line. I survived UVa-Wise and am going to start a master's program this fall. Saying that, I never had homework at Powell Valley High School, I took AP classes where instead of reading an important literary work we read exerts, and wrote in class papers. I can't ever recall having to use the library at Powell Valley, using a computer database to look up information on a topic was new to me. Maybe I'm wrong but to me those are things that need to be taught in the high school. This year kids in Appalachia can't even take keyboarding, how bad does that make us look. It is 2010, a kid may have to use a computer at some point?
    Many schools are phasing out "keyboarding" and really just renaming it as a computer course...really, in Wise County I think politics is overriding the needs of the kids as well. If a school has a computer lab, they can have a keyboarding class. That being said, I've never learned to type properly, so I don't deem that a necessary skill...but still. I took 1 AP class in HS and that was history. I never had homework cuz I did it all during the school day so I wouldn't have any. As far as the library, most everyone I knew that had a study hall was in the library everyday reading something..but we were taught to research in 10th grade. I stand by what I've said for years...block scheduling and SOLs are what has ruined education. And still, politicians think they have to be the ones to "improve" education when they can even half a$$ do the job they are elected to do which is run the country.