Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Hail to the redskins!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
    That wouldn't happen with a playoff system.
    It doesn't happen now. UF's won 3 in the last 15 years and had a loss in each of those seasons. Minnesota won it with 2 losses. USC and LSU split it in 03 and both had a loss. FSU has one with a loss. Colorado has one with a loss. Miami has 2 with a loss. Oklahoma has one. Penn State, ND, Alabama, Texas, Michigan State, Maryland, Tennessee, Ohio State, all have National Titles in years they've had losses. Since 1925 there have been 34 National Championship teams with a loss.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You guys can sugar coat it if you want but the fact remains that if West Virginia, a team in a BCS conference loses to Maryland their season is over. It's a joke, you guys know it's a joke, and the fact that you defend it allows NCAA Division One (FBS, or whatever crazy name they have come up with now) presidents to not only prostitute you but the players that represent their universities as well. It is in my opinion, the worst setup in sports and the only people not gaining a thing are the fans and alumni who pay absurd amounts of money to these schools. All the while, the president of the university sits backs and laughs, the player gets free exposure to the "money league", the schools get rich off a flawed system, and you the fan, spend an insanely large sum of money to have your team's season end before October.

I don't blame the schools, why not continue the bowl systems? You've got people willing to spend thousands of dollars to go watch the Walnut Bowl.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If anyone loses to Maryland their season should be over. 1 loss won't keep you out of contention unless it's the wrong loss. Don't lose to garbage teams. You can lose to a half assed team, don't lose to James Madison.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LSU had TWO losses in 2007 and still won the title.

For a real contender, one loss does not end their national title chances.

One loss for a mediocre team will cost them their chances to win it all, but in the NFL, if bad teams lose a division game, they are basically done as well. Whats the difference?

The Raiders have as much a shot at winning the Super Bowl as Florida State does winning the national titel, after week two.
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
    If anyone loses to Maryland their season should be over. 1 loss won't keep you out of contention unless it's the wrong loss. Don't lose to garbage teams. You can lose to a half assed team, don't lose to James Madison.
    Correct- there are no JMUs in the NFL. If we are going to complain about losing to the scout team, the colleges will have to stop recruiting and draft in an order like the NFL , then you would have more equal teams.
    We'll keep the lights on for you.
    Spuds

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I used to take the college game over the NFL, but in recent years, I'm on the side of PVFan on this one. I honestly find the college game to be a bore. If your team loses early on, then what do you really have to play for.

and I say this as a Bengals fan. I'd much rather watch a bengals game any day of the week than a college game. And I'm to the point to where I can watch a random NFL game over a college game. Heck, I enjoyed the free weekend of Sunday ticket yesterday and was watching the end of the Cardinals-Rams game! I may have been the only one tuning in to that one!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 7teen View Post
    If your team loses early on, then what do you really have to play for.
    As mentioned several times before, if your team doesn't suck and you play a decent schedule, you have a national championship to play for.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
    As mentioned several times before, if your team doesn't suck and you play a decent schedule, you have a national championship to play for.
    Tell that to teams who don't play in a BCS conference. They can't play a decent schedule. The only option these schools have is to join a bigger conference which just continually fuels the money cycle.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 7teen View Post
    If your team loses early on, then what do you really have to play for.
    How about pride, conference title, bowl game...I know that a national championship is the ultimate goal of most teams, but there are other things to play for. And, as Lung stated, one even two loss teams can win a national title.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [/CENTER]
    [CENTER] "Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things." JVP[/CENTER]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBU View Post
    How about pride, conference title, bowl game...I know that a national championship is the ultimate goal of most teams, but there are other things to play for. And, as Lung stated, one even two loss teams can win a national title.
    How about tv exposure for the next level, playstations, xbox 360's, televisions, watches, and clothes from the bowl games?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast