Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Clintwood/JIB 2 next weekend

Not to be a smartarse or anything...but Beast said 2 yards (i.e. 6 feet), and Jason said after doing the math 4.83 feet being the difference in the hashmarks. It's not "2 feet" versus 4.83 feet, as was obviously misunderstood.

The best idea is to have both sets of hashes on the field. That way, they're both there, and no one has room to complain year after year. The goalposts are a whole 'nother discussion.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think the argument he is trying to make is somewhat valid. Generally coaches who rely on the Jet sweep and what I call "D" gap plays want to set those plays up to the wide side of the field. Defenses will many times call strength to the wide side versus Jet Sweep teams to force them to run into the boundary. When you run a lot of D gap plays, you typically stay on one hash or the other. With the hashes being more narrow, both sides of the field become more wide. This forces the offense and defense to balance up. While it would appear that Jet Sweep teams would have an advantage because of this, I would think it wouldn't be a huge realization.

Some offenses use the hash marks and numbers as landmarks for formation splits and those can get complicated. I would think this would have more of an effect, but would just require some adjustments during the week before you play on that field.

Another issue would be for teams who use the hash marks for defensive alignments and zone coverage assignments. With the high school field being equal thirds, that is an easy mark for teaching 3 deep coverage. Also, many cover 2 teams use the hash for alignment, but we don't see much of that around here.

So I think that there are some adjustments to be made, and each team is well aware of where they are playing and has ample practice time to make those. With that said, I think the advantage goes to the team that can block and tackle the best, just like all other games.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Another thing to consider regarding the hash marks is how the defense will play certain formations. If a team lines up in single back trips into the boundary, the defense can cheat the coverage by using the boundary. When the ball is on the hash, depending on the splits that the offense takes, there could only be 13-14 yards from the tackle to the boundary to line up the trips receivers. But to the wide side, there could be 30 yards from the tackle to the boundary to split the recievers. Unless a team is playing straight up zero coverage, formations like this are gonna be defended differently depending on the hash placement. More narrow hashes means there is less opportunity for the defense to cheat on these formations. Just like earlier, there is ample practice time to adjust IMO.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

don't care if they are playin in a forty acre field,,, you line up and play....:doh:

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwood78 View Post
    don't care if they are playin in a forty acre field,,, you line up and play....:doh:

Actually you are right. I did most of this to just be an ass on here this year.

Also want to thank Joe for his input on the hashmarks. :2thumbsup:

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoeburnCane View Post

The best idea is to have both sets of hashes on the field. That way, they're both there, and no one has room to complain year after year. The goalposts are a whole 'nother discussion.

Wise is getting new turf next year and should do that. Salem's field has both on it. The goal post situation would be an easy fix also. I have seen HS games played on college fields before where a team would just miss the uprights but the refs still called it good. This could happen here also if the refs would get together before the games and discuss what needs to be done. All are easy fixes and no one would be able to say a word about playing there. Only thing we GC fans could complain about is losing home field advantage but that would be no excuse.

One of these days I would love to see all 6 state title games on one site like TN does. Have them all at Virginia Tech. I know it is a college field but the teams would be the only two left playing in their Divisions.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What time is the Clintwood/EM game Saturday?
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    What time is the Clintwood/EM game Saturday?

I assume 1:30.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456