Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Football Coach at PV

I don't troll, I swim in the deep end. You claim all you do is win. I give numbers to back it up and they are numbers you can't dispute. What Powell Valley was and what Powell Valley is are two entirely different things, you accused me of arrogance, that is funny from the most arrogant fan base north of Dobyns-Bennett, the only thing you don't understand is the days of NFL running backs walking down the roads of Big Stone Gap are over, and it is time you realized the situation for what it is, over. The Romans ruled the world for nearly 500 years but all that is left is the ruins, and stories in my books in my library. It was sad of Rome because no one knew is was falling till it fell. To soon be a footnote in history isn't all bad because some footnotes are bigger than others.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

PV, Appy and GC.....what more could you ask in terms of football tradition??? I am proud to be from GC and proud to have been afforded to enjoy some of PV's and Appy's success. For a football fan what more could you ask. Outside of Hampton these are the three most storied programs in the state and only what 30 or so miles apart...phenonemal. Oh wait....let's not forget about our neighbors in ****enson county...Clintwood....another great football tradition. Wow...to be a backwoods hillbilly area we sure do know how to play some football.

I for one am proud to be from SWVA where some of the best football in the state has been played for over 50 years.

Go Devils....Go Vikings...Go Bulldogs....Go Wave....Go Raiders....Go Indians....GO ALL SWVA!

I do hope the consolidation....if it happens...doesn't have a negative impact on the area's football.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have but one question: Just how many NFL running backs are strolling up and down the streets of Wise? Hell, even Appalachia had someone make it to the NFL and played. Yeah, I remember Carroll Dale, but, were, are there anymore? Oh, and how many has Gate City had? I don't think I can think of even one from Gate City getting into the NFL. What happened to the famous Houseright boys?

Inactive Member imported_blue52's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Chad Beasley and I want to say they had a guy that played in the NFL in the 70s? Bill Houseright maybe, I may be totally wrong on that one though

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heneedsa View Post
    I don't troll, I swim in the deep end. You claim all you do is win. I give numbers to back it up and they are numbers you can't dispute. What Powell Valley was and what Powell Valley is are two entirely different things, you accused me of arrogance, that is funny from the most arrogant fan base north of Dobyns-Bennett, the only thing you don't understand is the days of NFL running backs walking down the roads of Big Stone Gap are over, and it is time you realized the situation for what it is, over. The Romans ruled the world for nearly 500 years but all that is left is the ruins, and stories in my books in my library. It was sad of Rome because no one knew is was falling till it fell. To soon be a footnote in history isn't all bad because some footnotes are bigger than others.
    You are off the deep end, no doubts about that.

Talking about Rome, etc... wtf does that have to do with PV football?

The arrogance is to assume because of TWO mediocre seasons that PV football is dead.

PV has EIGHT state titles, only four were won with a Jones on their team. So thats four state titles without them. PV has as many state titles WITHOUT the Jones' as GC does alltogether.

Like I said, if PVHS closes of course the football team disappears. DUH!
    but that has nothing to do with PV football dying, its the school closing.
    but if BSG keeps a school, PV tradition lives on, and it combines with Appalachia tradition and I honestly believe that if they stay Single A, they will be back to a state title contender soon.

and why do you not address my points? ya know, the points that totally thrash your argument? Like your silly argument about records, well JJK has had a better overall record than PV the last two seasons, but who won the head to head matchups? Please answer my question.
    and what about the fact that PV is in the playoffs every year, and played for the Region D title a couple years ago? A dead program does not play for region titles. So, address that before I will even entertain the thought of continuing this with you.

A footnote in history is laughable, VHSL Single A football history IS POWELL VALLEY.
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[quote=joedirt;1851751]
    Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    Trying to figure out how old state titles translates to a new coach that didn't have anything to do with them, shoots him to the front of the pack? Pretty crazy logic.QUOTE]

Let me put it in simple terms: It's like when you are filling out a job application for head chef at a nice restaurant and you have 6 years at Mcdonald's as head burger flipper(Coeburn) or 2 years at the Gordon Ramsay in London (Powell Valley). Which do you think looks better? I know what most people would say, but if you think this is crazy logic then I might can make it a little more simple for you. Just let me know and I will do my best.
    Since you worked real hard on this analogy, working at Ramsays place doesn't mean you know how to run anything or cook since he's no head chef, more like a janitor there. Just had to throw that in and plus we're not talking about running a program that was in their glory days, this isn't Phil we're talking about. Being part of team that USED to be good doesn't mean anything, now I'm not saying Coeburns coach is anything good, how good can you really be at coeburn anyway - blast me. I'm just saying let's not throw him up there with any head coaches when he's not one and running a team for a year or two doesn't prove much.

Just another reason I can't wait for consolidation, so the **** measuring contest is over with finally and the arguments over who has more titles years ago is so supreme. Then it'll slowly fade away at least with these 6, of course a new ****ing contest will take its place with the new schools but at least it will start over and it'll be a few decades before they talk about what happened and who was so great.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

that makes no sense 13.

his analogy is like this;

the job at Notre Dame is open.

Coach A has been a successful coach at Michigan
    Coach B has been a successful coach at Miami of Ohio

Which coach is more likely to get the job?
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    You are off the deep end, no doubts about that.

Talking about Rome, etc... wtf does that have to do with PV football?

The arrogance is to assume because of TWO mediocre seasons that PV football is dead.

PV has EIGHT state titles, only four were won with a Jones on their team. So thats four state titles without them. PV has as many state titles WITHOUT the Jones' as GC does alltogether.

Like I said, if PVHS closes of course the football team disappears. DUH!
    but that has nothing to do with PV football dying, its the school closing.
    but if BSG keeps a school, PV tradition lives on, and it combines with Appalachia tradition and I honestly believe that if they stay Single A, they will be back to a state title contender soon.

and why do you not address my points? ya know, the points that totally thrash your argument? Like your silly argument about records, well JJK has had a better overall record than PV the last two seasons, but who won the head to head matchups? Please answer my question.
    and what about the fact that PV is in the playoffs every year, and played for the Region D title a couple years ago? A dead program does not play for region titles. So, address that before I will even entertain the thought of continuing this with you.

A footnote in history is laughable, VHSL Single A football history IS POWELL VALLEY.

Let me jump in just a moment. He was never saying that PV has always been a terrible team, he has given past PV teams props for what they have accomplished. On the other hand in reality he is right, he states that no one can live off the past victories in the present sense of PV football or any other sport for that matter. I think what he might be saying is PV is not the "top dogs" any more, the days of domination have been over for some years now.

When he uses the illustration about Rome it illustrates and draws a comparrison between PV football and the once Roman Empire. He wasnt comparing Rome to PV football, rather he was making an example using The Roman Empire and I agree with him.

I love PV football and it has a deep tradition and I also believe that with it being on a resume would help anyone and would open doors for coaches. Coach Jones, according to what I have heard was a heck of a coach when he was with PV for a number of seasons. I beleive in the influence of good coaches.

I do not believe that PV football is dead, it just needs to get back on track, and i soon believe it will. Now with the comparison of JJ Kelly football and PV football??? JJ Kelly has come a long way , but their schedule is one of the easiest you will find around here and PV has the toughest by far. If PV had the schedule that JJ Kelly has their record at the end of the year would be a lot better I would say.
    [img]http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/7057/willferralcowbell2tn.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

that makes no sense 13.

his analogy is like this;

the job at Notre Dame is open.

Coach A has been a successful coach at Michigan
    Coach B has been a successful coach at Miami of Ohio

Which coach is more likely to get the job?
    Ones a head coach and one isn't, it's not that clear cut.

But again, my comment wasn't talking up from Coeburn's coach, it was just a general statement about that logic that was being thrown about about him being a some shoe-in. I say Jimbo(who has had some health problems, don't even know if he'd jump on it) and BI(assuming he stays and this coming from someone who really doesn't like Kelly/Wise in general). Without a doubt.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

if you were in teh stand at norton like you say you were, then you know its not almost 400, its OVER 400, 462 if i remember correctly.
    That was my freshman year. Without Question Thomas Jones is the best player IMO to come out of this area... I mean... Look at what hes done in HS and College, and hes Playing it Professionally. Thats enough to give him my vote. I remember that game tho... terrible memories.

I really wanted to bears to win the Superbowl the year they went.. Im sure most of you guys did too.. who COUDLN'T want that for Either of the Jones'?
    [IMG]http://he-man.us/Innovations/He-ManGifs/SkeletorYellBig1.gif[/IMG]