Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Lame excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    That backs up what I was saying, that she was not a simply overmatched girl.

I dunno why he posted about boxing, boxing and wrestling couldnt be further apart.
    The only reason boxing was brought up it looks like was because he has that as a reference point, and does not feel comfortable when a female is in the ring as a sparring partner.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    The only reason boxing was brought up it looks like was because he has that as a reference point, and does not feel comfortable when a female is in the ring as a sparring partner.

They would be issuing winter storm warnings on the southside of hell before I would step into the boxing ring with a female. That would utterly violate everything I have been raised to believe/scruples I have. A man simply does not hit a woman was how I was raised and I just could not bring myself to do it (unless it was to defend myself in life-threatening situation). I know there are instances where men do have to (like instructors in martial arts..etc) and I can understand that/respect that they have job to do,but it is a personal thing,and were I in the young man from Iowa's shoes,I would have done the exact same thing.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was wondering how the girl did in the rest of her tournament turns out she lost her next match in under a min and the one after that in 3 min. no word on how the boy in the story faired

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The boy won his first consolation round matchup. Lost his second.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know that boxing was that bad of a comparison, any combat sport which includes wrestling have a somewhat common mindset when competing and even when training.

Not that it makes my opinion any better but I have boxed, kickboxed, and grappled with female students and in a few cases very high level female competitors including one world champion. The physical differences are undeniable. What is really difficult is sparring with high skilled females. You either have to turn up your game to at least a 6 or 7 or risk being injured yourself. I've been there, it sucks. Do you drift and take it easy and maybe end up hurt or do you try to do just enough to get by or do you simply treat them like a male sparring partner?

Personally I usually changed my game. I fought hard but used a lot of movement, defense, and long distance techniques. I did a lot less or no in fighting or power shots and in the case of grappling I worked easily and slowly into submissions instead of blasting into them.

So, what's the point? They didn't get the experience of sparring with a man because I wasn't really trying, but if I really tried I felt that I could and almost certainly would injure even the best of them rather easily. I know I'm rambling a bit but it's hard to explain.

On one occasion, many years ago, I was sparring with a fairly high level female and I was getting hit and I was getting hurt because I didn't want to fire back. I felt like I shouldn't but I believe she thought I (couldn't) which creates a mindset that could endanger her safety at a later time. Finally I decided I would try to back her off with some "flash" so I threw a 360 jump-spin ax-kick, if you've ever seen one you know that it's 99% show and 1% effective. Just so happens this one landed, and broke her nose. I took her to the ER and they set it. The whole thing sucked then and it sucks even today to think of it.

About 25 years later (a quarter of a freakin' century later) I heard this incident used against me, basically accusing me of beating up a woman. This wasn't done in a joking manner or with the note of how it happened. Just he kicked some woman in the face and broke her nose! As if I should still be rotting in a prison cell somewhere for it.

The kid made the right decision...........
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I guess I should add that when I took her to the ER they were seriously discussing calling the police to investigate how it happened, even though we both told them we were training in a class setting. Didn't seem to matter to the folks in the ER.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    It also backs up what I was saying about physical differences
    Good read though and pretty accurate
    Theres no doubt theres a big physical difference between men and women, especially at the teenage level.

The point about boxing was that throwing punches with violent intentions is quite different from wrestling. Boxing, the object is to knock the opponent out. Wrestling is to get the pin. Not to mention that while wrestling is a very physical combat sport, boxing is a different form of combat.

But Im not sure about never hitting a woman, if Cyborg Santos was dropping punches on me, no doubt I would hit her back. She would still kick my ass, but I would put up a fight.

She is an example, because she would most likely beat unskilled men in a street fight. The woman is an absolute beast.
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think it was a good comparison. I wouldn't cross face a girl. Well not with any real effort.
    GO VOLS

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456