Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Lame excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Gotch View Post
    Years ago my younger son (biggin will know which one that is) had to face a girl in a submission grappling tournament. She had won a couple of matches to get there. He (my son) was very worried about the whole thing.

I never coached either of my sons while on the mat, I always left that to another coach (usually Shane Tucker or Jason Coomer). As I remember it was Jason and he told him to go out there and go 100% and in fact be aggressive.

It consisted of a strong takedown straight to top control and a top wrist-lock submission (what the UFC announcers usually call a keylock)..........well.....she cried and cried and cried. Walked around the rest of the tournament holding her arm. I'm not kidding. I felt like crap, my son felt like crap, J felt like crap.

It was a difficult situation.

Exactly
    Jon (my cousin who I raised) wrestled a girl from Holston (daughter of the wrestling coach) and he played with her for 3 rounds because she had a killer body. He could have pinned her in 5 seconds and she knew that. His teammate was more vicious with the other female from Holston and it lasted just mere seconds. It's nothing personal,it is just physical
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You should not have felt like crap though. She wanted on the mat with the boys and paid for it. If anyone should have felt bad it should have been those other two coaches that were trying to prove something.
    crack is whack

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyhead View Post
    You should not have felt like crap though. She wanted on the mat with the boys and paid for it. If anyone should have felt bad it should have been those other two coaches that were trying to prove something.

Were you at the tournament were I reffed the absolute and Tara Larosa entered it? Then Spider (remember the really good purple from Nashville) got matched against her. He could score at will against her and you could tell that he could have subbed her anytime he wanted but just couldn't bring himself to do it. Even worse she knew it and it was ****ing her off. That was an uncomfortable mat......
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think the young man in this story showed a lot of humility, character, and self respect by stepping aside. He was truly put into a difficult position. Not even considering religion, he is to be commended for not wanting to deal with the young lady in an aggressive fashion.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    Had she wrestled this boy and beat him,it would have been the rare exception rather than the norm. Show me 1 instance where a girl beats a boy in wrestling,and I'll show you 30 where the boy wins easily. It isn't sexist,rather just being realistic and stating the obvious/fact and AGAIN I didn't assume that this boy beats her ala slam dunk. I said chances are he beats her. Qualifying 3rd the year before tells me he is no slouch himself I have a ton of respect for womenfolk and those who know me personally will vouch for that,but the fact remains that the difference in strength is wide,and in a sport like wrestling,strength is a helluva lot of it. Let me ask you this: If you had to line up a football game with men vs women,how confident would you be that the women would not get blown out?
    No, you said chances are he quickly pins her. You were using what some women accomplish to paint them all. This girl had a record of 8-2 at one time during the season in the best state for HS wrestling. She is one of the best girl wrestlers in the country. She was no slouch at all either. Iowa takes wrestling very very seriously, you think they would just let a girl in if she could not compete?

And your scenario at the end is totally different and no comparison. This girl has been wrestling her whole life and has beaten boys before. Its an individual sport.

Im not saying the girl would win, but to assume she gets beat easily is naive since she had earned her way there.
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyhead View Post
    I agree with this. Its her choice to enter the competition. If she thinks she can cut it at that level, she needs to be grappled with at that level.
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    No, you said chances are he quickly pins her. You were using what some women accomplish to paint them all. This girl had a record of 8-2 at one time during the season in the best state for HS wrestling. She is one of the best girl wrestlers in the country. She was no slouch at all either. Iowa takes wrestling very very seriously, you think they would just let a girl in if she could not compete?

And your scenario at the end is totally different and no comparison. This girl has been wrestling her whole life and has beaten boys before. Its an individual sport.

Im not saying the girl would win, but to assume she gets beat easily is naive since she had earned her way there.

Actually the scenario isn't much different at all. Both sports could be used to illustrate my point. To say that there's no comparison is off base as both sports rely heavily on strength which goes back to what I was pointing out as far as physical differences between males and females:2thumbsup:

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    Iowa takes wrestling very very seriously, you think they would just let a girl in if she could not compete?

Im not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but theres numerous times when individuals/teams qualify for state competition when they really have no business being there.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    Im not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but theres numerous times when individuals/teams qualify for state competition when they really have no business being there.

Often in high school wrestling,the 112 lb class is thin. I am not saying that this is the case here,but I know that wrestling teams have a tough time filling that weight class on a frequent basis.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Regardless of what everybody thinks his reasons were, there is still a chance he may have to put his beliefs and faith back to the test again. By doing what he did, he could face her, or the other girl again. This would be his real test of faith. I admire him for having the balls to do what he did. Wrestling is one of those sports in which the high schools have not been able to separate the sexes.

I remember a wrestling match several years ago at Daniel Boone High School in which Trevor Hall had to wrestle a girl and he was scared to death, not about getting beaten, but about actually hurting the girl. I must say, the boy was beside himself.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast