Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: If Turner loses to JI Burton this year that puts us in . . .

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: If Turner loses to JI Burton this year that puts us in .

Travis will be a top of the line head coach. He isnt affraid to gamble on 4th (which i love), and he can get the kids fired up to play. My only fault is like i mentioned earlier, too many chiefs and not enough indians. Just like someone else said a minute ago, Travis is head coach and he'll take the heat for his coaching staff. As far as Austin being a better coach than travis, lets give it 5 years and revisit that statement. One problem we have down here in Unionville (big stone and appy's new name BTW) is we jump the gun. 14 state rings out of 18 trys i think it is has really spoiled us and im affraid that we may be to quick to crucify a young coach. Travis is younger than most coaches in the state and he was thrown into the biggest mess that has happened in wise county since the bread and chicken house closed in big stone gap. He (travis) has really got these kids to pull together and work out and be excited about football again! thats something that is worth more than a state championship on opening season. The problem that i have been seeing is that us older viking and bulldogs really want a winning team and well damnitt it takes time. Lets back up a pinch and let travis coach for 5 years. If after 5 years he is making the same mistakes and doing the same wrong things, then lets put him to the curb and look for a new coach. Until that 5 year period is up we cant say what kind of coach Travis Turner will be. IMO he'll do great

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

He won't be there in 5 years and he wasn't thrown in this mess isn't that right "Uncle Phillip"?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
    You should have stayed in Breathitt.

I would have rather been back here than in Kentucky any day. That hell hole just wasn't for me. I take it you were meaning that my son could be playing for Breathitt...would rather him be playing here any day. Also, they live with their mother, so he would be playing here anyway. Still wish it would have been for the Dawgs, though.
    [img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/ETWNAPPEL/calgraphic.gif?t=1238543058[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikMo View Post
    I would have rather been back here than in Kentucky any day. That hell hole just wasn't for me. I take it you were meaning that my son could be playing for Breathitt...would rather him be playing here any day. Also, they live with their mother, so he would be playing here anyway. Still wish it would have been for the Dawgs, though.

I know what you mean about that place. Yes I was referring to him playing at Breathitt, that town may be a pit but they have a very solid football program with a good coach that is able to get the job done. I was able to see them play one game last year and I thought I was watching St. Paul, same exact offense and same size kids just more of them (wished we had had them on the schedule to get the win and points). They were 6-4 and still went 3 deep in the playoffs last year and so far this year they are just running roughshod on everyone. The only close game they have had was against Hazard and they won it 35-34.

Best part about that place though is the McDonald's still has steak egg and cheese bagels.
    Last edited by TheBeast; October 6th, 2011 at 08:38 AM.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The biggest problem I have is that at least two of those assistant coaches NEVER played a day of football in their lives and those of you from BSG and APPY know the one I am talking about.

Now, the best thing I have seen out of the offensive line is that they have gone back to a 3-point stance to include the passing downs. The 2-point stance they used the last couple of years was horrible. And the defensive front is no longer taking a "dive at the legs of the offensive linemen as they did the last couple of years. If your offensive line is talented enough to use the 2-point stance, then use it, but most all offensive linemen in this area are not disciplined enough for it or just are not talented enough either.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lpd_observer View Post
    third place in the district. Additionally, Central is looking more formidable after winning against Lee Co and is not an automatic win. I'm not really confident in this body of work to this point. Losing to a down Clintwood team was absolutely disasterous and unacceptable. Both Powell Valley and Appalachia spent the last several years building to this point, talentwise and anything less than an LPD championship and a 3 deep playoff run is not cutting the mustard. Several points to make on this subject:

1) Barker is a 1 in 8 year back. He's powerful and talented. We lose him after this season, thus making competitiveness all the more difficult to establish this last year.
    2) We lose Orr on the offensive line who is the most dominant offensive lineman.
    3) We'll have to break in a new quarterback as Huff (a four year starter) will also be gone.
    4) This offense we run makes it much more difficult to establish a power running game. We need to get the power I back and give Barker and Davis lead blockers.
    5) Not only did we lose but we blew away a twenty point lead . . . a twenty point lead! Totally unacceptable and should not happen. This means that we made no adjustments at halftime. Mullins absolutely and completely outcoached us to get his troops back into the game in the second half to score about 24 unanswered points. And did I mention that we had twice the talent of this clintwood team?

As hard as our remaining schedule is, I see possible losses against Sullivan North, Burton, Gate City. Next year with the loss of talent that we're about to experience, the best I see is a 3-7 to 4-6 kinda season. We, a school with 650 kids, just lost to a school with 290 kids who fielded the worst team they've had in probably 5 or 6 seasons.

We are fundamentally unsound in some really problematic areas, and it's starting to show. I'll be interested to see which team shows up against North. With all our talent, anything less than an 8-2 overall record and an undefeated LPD record is unacceptable.

LOL, If Turner loses? i didnt know he played bro. So what are your coaching credentials? That is a bold and ignorant statement you just made.
    [img]http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/7057/willferralcowbell2tn.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dawgman View Post
    I told people that he wasn't a good coach but nobody would listen. I've known him since he was born.
    Sounds like you are either jelly or just being biased in your outlook .
    [img]http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/7057/willferralcowbell2tn.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I didnt get to make it to the game last night but from what i have heard Union did NOT make any second half adjustments and once again lost the game. Im not sure what has happened but Union has went from a strong second half team to a very weak second half team. Why in the world Turner isnt begging Bob Coughlin and Barry Jones to come coach for him i dont know. Turner is a good coach and he will do good at Union but he is going to have to get rid of most of his supporting cast. Morris was at Powell Valley for the past few seasons and he hasnt impressed me one bit with his defense coaching. I feel like Barry Jones is the most overlooked coach in Virginia football and if I were in a position to hire and fire I'd fire 2/3s of the Union staff and beg Barry to come be the Co Head coach and run my defense and mentor Dorton to be the next D coach. I'd also beg Bob Coughlin to come and help or at the least run my JV program. In my personal opinion, those two men (Bob and Barry) are the soul reasons for the sucsess for Powell Valley being what they were. Most people dont know this but Bob Coughlin quit coaching JV when Barry quit coaching and well Powell Valley went down hill fast after that. IMO Truner and Dorton, Barry and Bob would make a coaching staff that could dominate in football once again, what do yall think

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think there is a lot of over reaction to Union in this thread. Clintwood is no slouch and North (is that who they played?) is a good team. This thread is about if they lose to JIB? Burton is one of the top teams in the area. There isn't any shame if they win or lose against the teams they have lost to or JIB.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    I think there is a lot of over reaction to Union in this thread. Clintwood is no slouch and North (is that who they played?) is a good team. This thread is about if they lose to JIB? Burton is one of the top teams in the area. There isn't any shame if they win or lose against the teams they have lost to or JIB.
    i agree with you on that. Just like I said earlier, we are spoiled down here in big stone and appalachia. Just as Ironlung has said (i hate agreeing with him hahaha) football is down in the entire end of southwest va. We dont have the atheletes we used to have. Turner is a good coach and he'll make a solid program. we as fans have to realize it dont happen over night.