Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: If Turner loses to JI Burton this year that puts us in . . .

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: If Turner loses to JI Burton this year that puts us in .

Quote Originally Posted by UnIoNfAn View Post
    not trying to be a smart alec here but Turner's record this season is better than palko's so idk if id be making comments that turner is not as good as what you have.
    Didn't realize I said anything about Turner. Never said which category he fell in. Lee's went through a lot over the past years, as what I was commenting toward, not many of them proved much or worth keeping. At least I hope some like Hagerman weren't, lol.
    Last edited by beamer_ball; October 11th, 2011 at 07:00 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beamer_ball View Post
    Didn't realize I said anything about Turner. Never said which category he fell in. Lee's went through a lot over the past years, as what I was commenting toward, not many of them proved much or worth keeping. At least I hope some like Hagerman weren't, lol.
    It has been a while. Kinda miss the Williams days. Knew a guy that was playing when he came back from Coeburn, guy said didn't think football could be so simple. Williams said he was a better motivator than coach. Whatever he did it worked. You can't win on kids or coaching alone- and it helps if the local folks are behind things. The "Bobact Believers" were pretty fun to watch in...76, maybe 75. Williams has my respect for the little halftime ceremony for Cummins, knowing that win or lose it was their last meeting as coaches, as Ralph was going to retire after the season. And some of Cummins "secrets" are in his book, "Attack and Pursue Fifty Defense." most was how the kids were taught one more step each level as they came up thru school. The lack of something like this has hurt several area schools. At least i think so.
    We'll keep the lights on for you.
    Spuds

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Williams was IMO the best coach that ever coached in lee co. He put together some good clubs. Im affraid that what happened to him will happen to turner. People need to go back and look at history in southwest va, football isnt won over night. The only coach I know of (im sure there are others but i dont know of em. add em if they are) that won fast and often was Coach Bolling for Powell Valley in the 1982. Not sure of exact numbers but he only coached one maybe two seasons and won state. People need to give Travis a chance. 5 and 5 would be right on pace with what both appy and pv done last year, and for a first year head coach dealing with consolidation issues (yes it was a horrible mess until school started and the law suit is still pending) of two 5 and 5 programs what more do we expect. I will support the bears just like i did the vikings, but i dont expect to come out and win state with a group of young men the first year they play together and seeing how they came from sub par programs to begin with. This isnt the 90s (although it felt like it at the first of the season) and we dont have the athelets here we used to. Most of these kids today would be second string in 95 yall know that. Lets give Travis 5 years then see. Think about it, if in 5 years nothing has changed then we move on but 5 years gives him time to get youth leagues goin with his game plan, jv program should be well established, and the kids will be set to run his program again. To give you and example, we all know what Tom Turner brought to appalachia (and before it starts i am NOT saying travis is Tom) as a head coach. Tom won 5 state championships as a coach ( 1989,1992,1994,1996,1997) and lost two others, but it took him from 1980 to 1989 to get a state championship won. My point is 9 years is longer than 5. Lets give Travis 5 years before we start bitching that he isnt any good

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bolling coached from 1977 to 1982. His overall record was 44-16-3. So if you take away the 12-0-1 state title year he was 32-16-2. Not bad at all but no where close to Phil's winning percentage his first 20 years or so at PV. In fact even with the 12-0-1 season it is still a little shy of Phil's percentage through his first 20 years.

Bolling is a nice guy, he was a good coach and a good teacher. I'm happy to consider him a friend to some degree, but I think he is slightly over-rated as a coach. The team he won with in '82 was absolutely loaded and so was the '80 team, but they found a way to lose (under him). He is still the second best coach in PV history though.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree that Travis should be given some time. I think he will be given some time, and I think that he will be successful sooner than later. I'd say within 3-6 years.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gotch View Post
    Bolling coached from 1977 to 1982. His overall record was 44-16-3. So if you take away the 12-0-1 state title year he was 32-16-2. Not bad at all but no where close to Phil's winning percentage his first 20 years or so at PV. In fact even with the 12-0-1 season it is still a little shy of Phil's percentage through his first 20 years.

Bolling is a nice guy, he was a good coach and a good teacher. I'm happy to consider him a friend to some degree, but I think he is slightly over-rated as a coach. The team he won with in '82 was absolutely loaded and so was the '80 team, but they found a way to lose (under him). He is still the second best coach in PV history though.
    you're right about percentage which goes along with what im tryen to get across about travis. Bolling had a good career and Phill did too, but both men had some amazing talent on both sides of the ball. Phill come in in 1983 and took two seasons to win a state game then went till 89 before doing it again. He (phil) had barry jones to thank for most of his wins and not to mention a slew of talent that could have started anywhere they so wanted to. When you look at the Jackson's, pat swinney, matt hall, michael stidham, robbie duncan, dennis blagg, ricky webb, andy robbins, all the linemen (too many to name), thomas jones, rodney mitchell, julius jones, danny dorton, wes robbins, josh warren, keith davis, kelvin davis, cory davis, don dorton, the mccoy brothers, jason gilley, jt wells, and all the other athelets that has came through powell valley under phill robbins, barry jones, and poss bolling its no wonder they racked up so many wins in 35ish years. its coming back around. All travis needs is 5 years to prove what he can and cant do. IMO id get rid of most of his coaching staff and hire new ones ie barry jones, bob coughlin, or men of there coach caliber. I know that is hard to find but id really be searchin if i were Union's AD

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If turner "grows" into this job anymore, we'll be out of the playoffs altogether. Yes, this is the progress we need.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hate him much?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R0cketer View Post
    Hate him much?
    It wasnt pretty tonight, I'll say that
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R0cketer View Post
    Hate him much?
    Of course I don't hate the boy. I'm sure he's a tremendous guy. But I hate losing. Just win baby.