Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: If Turner loses to JI Burton this year that puts us in . . .

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: If Turner loses to JI Burton this year that puts us in .

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    Baker is very good, so is Davis, and 20 has some decent moves on the outside. They have one or two lineman with good size and strength.

But we really arent. Barkers not even the best player on that team. If you wouldnt trade a CW kid for Baker, the WR, then I dunno what to say. Youve railed on CWs terrible passing game all year, and Baker is one of the most athletic and fast WRs in the district.
    Saw nothing from Davis last night but Warriors dropping him behind the line. Baker made the huge play on the busted punt. Barker was the only player from Union that impressed (he has his whole career)
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    Saw nothing from Davis last night but Warriors dropping him behind the line. Baker made the huge play on the busted punt. Barker was the only player from Union that impressed (he has his whole career)
    Whatever dude.

Rushing totals last night:
    Central-57 carries, 297 yards.
    PV-36 carries, 293 yards.

PV had more total yardage as well. If the PV rushing attack didnt impress you then you had to be severely disappointed with the Wise effort. It was not just Barker. It was Barker, Davis, and 20.

Powell Valley averaged EIGHT yards a carry last night; Wise averaged 5.2

Take out Bakers rush (which you shouldnt, its incredibly hard for a punter to do that), PV still averaged 6 YPC last night.
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    Wise has not beaten PV three out of four. This makes two out of three, but before that it had been 10 years since JJK won.
    I will stand by what I said. PV is more talented than JJK. They simply are. They have faster athletes, more athletes at skill positions, better skill players, but all that means nothing. You guys are making a big deal about what I said, but its true. UHS has talent. They really do.
    People forget, this is a team that went to Virginia High and won; went to Lee and won, gave Richlands all they could handle. It is not about talent. Its about coaching, execution, and playcalling. Central was 100x better at that last night, and that won the game.
    And beating Appalachia was no big accomplishment, I dont hold any water to that.

The truth is, Wise has been more prepared and ready to play the last three years. Last year, it didnt matter. It was at PV (if last nights game was at PV they win), and they beat Wise like a drum. But the kids seemed to think that playing Richlands close means something. It does not. It means absolutely fucking nothing. NOTHING. This is Powell Valley Viking football (well Union football STFU hah), moral victories are for Pound or Castlewood. So, these players need to realize that right now, they are not a good ball team. They think they are, but they simply arent. You cant tackle, you cant catch, you cant be ready to play 48 minutes. Yes, your coaches have let you down severely; but these players still believe they are one of the best teams in this area. HAH! Thats a fucking joke.

Baker has made big plays all year long, big time catches and huge YAC gains. If he isnt the best (Maggard is very good agreed), he is close behind him.

Pretty sure the kids from Pound aren't looking for "moral victories" these days. That may be the sweetest part about this win. Those kids have worked damn hard over the years and no reward because they were outmanned
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    Pretty sure the kids from Pound aren't looking for "moral victories" these days. That may be the sweetest part about this win. Those kids have worked damn hard over the years and no reward because they were outmanned
    Nobody is ever looking for moral victories, but some schools are satisfied with them. Until the past few years, Wise had been one of the schools, as had Pound.
    UHS fans were toting that loss to Richlands like it meant something, it did not. Its a moral victory, and that program is too fucking proud to be celebrating moral victories.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Simple as this fellas. Central won friday night against Union. No matter what we blame it on a lose is a lose and a win is a win. Union for some reason is not the same team they were the first two weeks of the season, and neither is Central. Union came out of the gate playing good football this season with just a little bit of stuff to work on, mainly handing the ball to someone beside tyler barker. Central started off slow but has came around real nice. We down here on this end of the county can blame it on coaching, the kids, the weather, or what ever we like but that dont change the fact that central won and union lost. IMO it is coaching on both ends of the ball for Union that is the major problem. I mentioned earlier that Unions defense dont make ANY second half adjustments and changing from the T to the spread is dumb as it can be. If it aint broke dont fix it and the first half of the clintwood game showed that the T spread out and running the sweep out of it aint broke. Unions defense is the worst I have ever seen in the LPD. Im not a fan of this 3 down lineman junk. the kids at union aint built to play that style of denfense. Either way my hat is off to the warriors for a good game and a well deserved victory. Keep it up Warriors and be proud of yourselves

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UnIoNfAn View Post
    If it aint broke dont fix it and the first half of the clintwood game showed that the T spread out and running the sweep out of it aint broke.
    What you folks seem to forget (and Counts pointed it out to me during that game) is that when Union kept getting yardage with that during the first half Clintwood called a T/O in the 2nd quarter and they widened out their outside LB's. After that T/O Union ran it again and got 4-5 yards after that, that play was stuffed. That's the reason they went to the spread. That play was not going to work anymore against Clintwood.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

IMO in the first 4 games Union players played hard for the entire game. They won or put themselves in a good situation to win. In the VA High game they came out in the 2nd half and were half assing. The O-line would drop to there knees on runing plays not wanting to block or push the "D" out the way. I think its conditioning and this late in the season it shows. The D-line for Union is not coming off the ball and putting a hit on the opposing O-line. The 3 down D-line is a silly way to run a LPD defense unless you blitz atleast 2 or 3 LB or DB every snap. You need atleast 5 defenders coming every play to stop any kind of offense in "High School" football. It only takes a offense 4 yards a play on 3 plays to keep the chains a moving. And with 3 down D-line front its hard to stop any team from getting 4 yards.

I think the coaching is a problem to but not so much the coaches though. I think they are trying to run a Appalachia style and a PV style offense to keep both sides of the area happy. If Turner would run what he QBed in the 90s then Union would be hard to stop. He came from Appy and thats what he knows best but IMO he is affraid the players/parents will think its one sided and that could separate this team and area. The "D" needs to run a 5-2 or 4-4...some thing to keep 7-8 guys in the box.

And the players need more HEART!!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

IMO, and this is just my opinion, whether you run a spread no huddle, or a double tight t, every offense is designed to work. I don't believe any offense was ever designed to fail. What it all comes down to is execution, and right now, UHS isn't executed the plays given to them. & to 79Dawg, whether it's a 6-2, 5-3, 4-4, or 3-5, any defense in the LPD is going to/needs 8 men in the box. Yet again, it comes down to execution, on both sides of the ball. Before everyone throws Turner on the chopping block, let's give it sometime. Every coach will make bonehead decisions, and every coach will make brilliant calls that wins games. Let's give him 2-3 years, at the minimum, to see if he can manage to have more of those brilliant moments than screw-ups before we pass judgement. & hindsight is 20-20. A coach than runs a draw on 4th and long is an idiot, unless it works. Then he's the best play caller of all time (: Just give it time, things will work themselves out for the Bears.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Union was pretty much in a 5-3 Friday night, OLB's were playing on the LoS as stand-up ends.

And while that long run by the punter is included in the team's rushing total, you cannot really include that in your argument. So 35-211 would be a better way to gauge their success at running the ball.

From what I saw, Central was the better team there Friday night. Union couldn't stop the FB dive and never seemed to make an adjustment to clog the middle. I guess they were more concerned about trying to keep contain on the edges (which they didn't do very well either).

UHS needed their JV kicker there Friday night. They take care of their special teams, they win the game and all is well in western Wise Co.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NotSoSilentBob View Post
    Union was pretty much in a 5-3 Friday night, OLB's were playing on the LoS as stand-up ends.

And while that long run by the punter is included in the team's rushing total, you cannot really include that in your argument. So 35-211 would be a better way to gauge their success at running the ball.

From what I saw, Central was the better team there Friday night. Union couldn't stop the FB dive and never seemed to make an adjustment to clog the middle. I guess they were more concerned about trying to keep contain on the edges (which they didn't do very well either).

UHS needed their JV kicker there Friday night. They take care of their special teams, they win the game and all is well in western Wise Co.
    Take out Baker's long run and UHS still averaged over six yards per carry, their offense was not really a problem. It was not being able to stop the A gap rush like you said. CHS had all kinds of success up the middle, which is the easiest way to lose at this level of HS football.