Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: If Turner loses to JI Burton this year that puts us in . . .

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: If Turner loses to JI Burton this year that puts us in .

Quote Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
    What you folks seem to forget (and Counts pointed it out to me during that game) is that when Union kept getting yardage with that during the first half Clintwood called a T/O in the 2nd quarter and they widened out their outside LB's. After that T/O Union ran it again and got 4-5 yards after that, that play was stuffed. That's the reason they went to the spread. That play was not going to work anymore against Clintwood.
    Clintwood did widen out and stop the sweep but if Union would have stayed in the T and ran barker up the gut for a few 4 or 5 yard carries every other down or so then that would have made clintwood pull back in. Union dont have the type of players to run the spread. Justas was mentioned by dawgs 2010, all offenses are designed to work and execution plays a huge roll in making any offense work, but you have to play to what you have to make it work. For example, Clintwood has a young qb who is just learning the possition so it would be kind of bad for the coach to run an air attack run and shoot offense with him. Union dont have the qb to run a spread. Their pass game needs to consist of bootleg play action passes and maybe a few slant rout passes out of the T or I formation. Ball controll offenses like appalachia used to run are very happy with 3 to 4 yards a down because every three downs you have a first down. It keeps the game low scoring but it sure helps to win doing that

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's a nice theory to magically get 4-5 yards a carry up the middle but it didn't happen in that game early or late and it wasn't going to magically happen just because you wanted it to. That's why they started passing. They could have banged their heads against the wall and ran for no gain, loss of 2, no gain, or try to throw it and see if something will happen. Nothing really worked.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Im pretty sure we were up 20 to 0 due to the sweep and the middle run. I may be wrong but isnt that how it happened?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UnIoNfAn View Post
    Im pretty sure we were up 20 to 0 due to the sweep and the middle run. I may be wrong but isnt that how it happened?
    No..... 7 0 yes that opening drive was all about the sweep....the other scores were an INT return and a Pass on 3rd and long after a Cwood turnover.

IMHO what is hurting Union's Power game is the lack of a true Blocking back.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Union needs a blocking back and a front line that will go till the whistle blows too.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Counts View Post
    No..... 7 0 yes that opening drive was all about the sweep....the other scores were an INT return and a Pass on 3rd and long after a Cwood turnover.

IMHO what is hurting Union's Power game is the lack of a true Blocking back.

Thanks for stating the obvious while I was gone.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

what hurts union's offense is that its so predictable, and they hardly ever run out of the I. They run out of the fullhouse backfield which basically telegraphs where the ball is going. We never employ misdirection out of the offense which is allegedly the fullhouse backfield's advantage. We can't kick so much as a damn field goal for a PAT, because special teams are such a small part of the game that we have to focus on other things. (Not my words, but obviously the rationale of our brilliant coaches.) Nathan Baker kicked a 38 yarder in crunchtime against richlands, but suddenly he cant make a pat. They're all horrible coaches. We have as much talent as GC. Our coaches are playing checkers while houseright is playing chess. I dont give a crap about political correctness at this point. Tiny, has to make a change or else we'll go through several miserable seasons.

These coaches are all losers without exception and they must go now. We're about to go 4-6 with our most talented team in 5 or 6 seasons. next year we lose some big time skill players and linemen, and the result will likely be worse. They can't even manage a damn clock or their timeouts. What possible advantage do we gain in keeping this head coaching regime? Hell, I'll ask the question. Why, why, why did we get rid of a 7 time state champion so that we could hire a kid who's never had a head coaching job before, let alone a district championship?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lpd_observer View Post
    We're about to go 4-6 with our most talented team in 5 or 6 seasons.
    Whatever you do, don't overlook Thomas Walker so quickly. They might not sound like a threat, but they've got a speedy backfield, beat the crap out of Eastside who nearly defeated Central tonight, and lost to Central by just three points in the first game of the season. If Union comes into that game thinking they can escape with an easy victory over a "small" opponent, they could very likely close out the season with a 3-7 record. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Thomas Walker is the favorite or that they'll definitely play competitively with Union, but I'm just saying that what I saw versus Eastside impressed me and Thomas Walker is not a team you want to take lightly at all.
    Officially retired

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SWVA-Football View Post
    Whatever you do, don't overlook Thomas Walker so quickly. They might not sound like a threat, but they've got a speedy backfield, beat the crap out of Eastside who nearly defeated Central tonight, and lost to Central by just three points in the first game of the season. If Union comes into that game thinking they can escape with an easy victory over a "small" opponent, they could very likely close out the season with a 3-7 record. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Thomas Walker is the favorite or that they'll definitely play competitively with Union, but I'm just saying that what I saw versus Eastside impressed me and Thomas Walker is not a team you want to take lightly at all.
    That Cain kid can flat out RUN! Brewer isn't too shabby either... I will say that had officiating been a little better tonight the Eastside/Central game would have been a lot different. I would feel safe in saying that Warriors gave up 100 yards in penalties easy. Great 99 yard run by Spartans Ethan Collins!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lpd_observer View Post
    what hurts union's offense is that its so predictable, and they hardly ever run out of the I. They run out of the fullhouse backfield which basically telegraphs where the ball is going. We never employ misdirection out of the offense which is allegedly the fullhouse backfield's advantage. We can't kick so much as a damn field goal for a PAT, because special teams are such a small part of the game that we have to focus on other things. (Not my words, but obviously the rationale of our brilliant coaches.) Nathan Baker kicked a 38 yarder in crunchtime against richlands, but suddenly he cant make a pat. They're all horrible coaches. We have as much talent as GC. Our coaches are playing checkers while houseright is playing chess. I dont give a crap about political correctness at this point. Tiny, has to make a change or else we'll go through several miserable seasons.

These coaches are all losers without exception and they must go now. We're about to go 4-6 with our most talented team in 5 or 6 seasons. next year we lose some big time skill players and linemen, and the result will likely be worse. They can't even manage a damn clock or their timeouts. What possible advantage do we gain in keeping this head coaching regime? Hell, I'll ask the question. Why, why, why did we get rid of a 7 time state champion so that we could hire a kid who's never had a head coaching job before, let alone a district championship?
    I talked last night with a man who i hold dear to me. He is the most overlooked man in the state of va when it comes to coaching football. As he and i were talking i made the comment that we missed in wise county and i pointed at the score board and said this is why we miss you. He said to me these words " football is such a simple game. Coaches make it complicated for no reason at all. If you can block and you can tackle then you can win". Those words never rang more true than last night. Unnion could not block or tackle there fore we lost. Our problem is spawning out of the coaching position. We have the most talent have had in years and some of the dumbest play calling and play execution i have ever seen. Union dont do any pull blockers or lead block with a fullback. On the D line, Union dont do any trades or shoots or any type of stunts to free up linebackers. Its like peanut football for real. a very vanilla play book and even more hum drum execution of the plays. Something has to give somewhere or No Coach will have a job soon at Union.
    Last edited by UnIoNfAn; October 22nd, 2011 at 03:49 PM.