Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: basketball: Central vs GC

Quote Originally Posted by gcdevil22 View Post
    the girls mcdonalds all-americans wouldn't beat boys teams from the LPD, or any other public school

I practiced against VT's women's teams for 4 years...we had 3 guys who didn't even play high school ball and we never won by less than 60...this notion that it's even close is ridiculous...the notion that some girls from ONE school in podunk, VA would beat boys on the same level of them is even more ridiculous

btw, the scores couldve been worse, but we had certain rules where we had to play zone, couldnt press, and had to run plays that we had learned 30 min prior instead of trying to score on the break...again, ridiculous

yeah but but but the Central girls beat the GC girls!!

UVa-Wise would smash a WNBA all-star team by 50.

This is not meant to disparage the girls, its just common sense. The physical differences make it almost impossible for any decent group of guys to lose to even the most talented girls squad.
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

While there are obvious differences and they aren't on the same level, a WNBA would kill UVAW or a college team on their level, it wouldn't even be close...we're talking the best female players on the entire planet, I've played with UVAW players before quite a few times, no way in hell would they do that to a WNBA team. Yeah, physical aspects are different, but that's selling them short by miles, they are as fundamentally sound as anyone and the physical aspects effect shooting little to nothing. Rebounding/inside is really the only real advantage....shooting, passing, dribbling, conditioning and these aren't weak cheerleader types that blow away in the wind and they're not my size either height wise..because one person practiced with a team that isn't the least bit good doesn't apply to every team at every level, not even close. The notion that even the worst teams would be the best girls teams on the same level, with the exception of NBA/WNBA, is silly too...again selling them short big time, I've seen two players at Burton that have been better then half of the boys ball players I played against.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    While there are obvious differences and they aren't on the same level, a WNBA would kill UVAW or a college team on their level, it wouldn't even be close...we're talking the best female players on the entire planet, I've played with UVAW players before quite a few times, no way in hell would they do that to a WNBA team. Yeah, physical aspects are different, but that's selling them short by miles, they are as fundamentally sound as anyone and the physical aspects effect shooting little to nothing. Rebounding/inside is really the only real advantage....shooting, passing, dribbling, conditioning and these aren't weak cheerleader types that blow away in the wind and they're not my size either height wise..because one person practiced with a team that isn't the least bit good doesn't apply to every team at every level, not even close. The notion that even the worst teams would be the best girls teams on the same level, with the exception of NBA/WNBA, is silly too...again selling them short big time, I've seen two players at Burton that have been better then half of the boys ball players I played against.
    Thats simply not true. How are these girls gonna get their shots off? How are they gonna do anything inside the paint? Its not happening.
    UVA-W boys team would beat the best the WBNA has to offer by 20+, facts.

How are these girls gonna guard these big strong men?

Inactive Member Slobber Knocker's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry the statement about high school girls team beating a boys' high school team deserves a, "C'mon maaaan!!!"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slobber Knocker View Post
    Sorry the statement about high school girls team beating a boys' high school team deserves a, "C'mon maaaan!!!"
    ktw6ym1323913711

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2002 was the year you're thinking...that was a talented bunch for sure. I watched most of the 30 games they won that season. They had a good run. But I'm pretty sure they scrimmaged the boys that year and the guys killed them. Still though, that was a solid team. If I remember correctly every player on the team scored in the finals that year against James Monroe...it was a blowout.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    Thats simply not true. How are these girls gonna get their shots off? How are they gonna do anything inside the paint? Its not happening.
    UVA-W boys team would beat the best the WBNA has to offer by 20+, facts.

How are these girls gonna guard these big strong men?
    Are you somehow under the impression that WBNA players are your regular 5'5 chick on the street? They're 6+ like, it wouldn't be that much of a difference there. Face guarding isn't any different, the guy could do no more than he could with a male player without fouling, really don't know how you're picturing them playing. lol I promise they will not be shooting in missionary position. But in all seriousness, like I said face guarding is exactly the same and a three point stance doesn't work any less with a pair of boobs in between.

They have them on strength, that's really it, that in return leads to more rebounds and a posting advantage...but that's it. If you're telling me that UVAW could utilize those to perfection and get that big of a win, I don't even know how to respond to that. We aren't talking UNC/Duke programs, this is UVAW against a crew of some of the best female athletes in the world...there is no way, at all, UVAW would do that. WNBA team would beat them hands down without a doubt. Go walk to a WNBA player and tell her that, you'd get laughed at and you'd get laughed at if you told an NBA player the same thing...that's one group that has tremendous respect for the WNBA, they know how good they are. I don't know how any of you get that conclusion, there's no way in hell that would happen.

And you're saying a great girls basketball team couldn't beat a bad boys team in HS? Again, that's ridiculous. Shit they'd whoop several teams in the past few years in the LPD and region, I don't know how you all think that strength/size equalizes every other part of the game that counts, if that's the case every team would be in the weight room and you'd see a lot of steroids in basketball...you don't and there's a reason for that, it's not going to give you that much of a boost, you still have to do the million other things that come with basketball to win a game.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

WNBA teams would definitely beat most HS teams. But, speed and power would be a big issue when facing a mens college team. UCONN has had the most dominant run in womens basketball recently. They have produced the most WNBA talent, yet basically in practice they lose to a bunch of guys who either arent good enough to play college bball, or would play at a level about like NAIA or D3 for the most part.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    WNBA teams would definitely beat most HS teams. But, speed and power would be a big issue when facing a mens college team. UCONN has had the most dominant run in womens basketball recently. They have produced the most WNBA talent, yet basically in practice they lose to a bunch of guys who either arent good enough to play college bball, or would play at a level about like NAIA or D3 for the most part.
    Exactly, ANY team "Boys or Girls" would have a tough time beating a team that is bigger stronger and Faster than they are......Girls would have a tough time defending a team that plays above the rim and they would have trouble getting off shots

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The WNBA Eastern Conference All-Stars:

Tamika Catchings, F-6'1
    Tina Charles, C-6'4
    Katie Douglas, G-6'0
    Angel McCoughtry, F-6'1
    Cappie Pondexter, G-5'9
    http://www.wnba.com/allstar/2011/rosters.html

UVAW starters
    Darius Smith, G-5'10
    Travis Berry, G-6'2
    Norris Gaskins, F-6'3
    Jermaine Wright, F-6'6
    Josh Jordan, C-6'7
    www.uvawisecavs.com/roster/9/2.php

You dont see the size difference?

And face guarding is face guarding, unless the person youre defending is that much quicker and stronger than you are. Breeze by and get into the lane with ease.
    Its not about weight lifting strentgh, its about the natural strength difference between the genders. How is Tina Charles gonna stop Josh Jordan from backing her down and getting easy layups every time? How is Tamika Catchings, as a 6'1 forward, gonna get her shots off against 6'6 Jermaine Wright, who is an exceptional on-ball defender??

If the UCONN girls, which was basically a WNBA All-Star team, cannot beat a bunch of regular college kids, how would almost that same starting five beat college-level ball players??

I would tell it to their faces, what are they gonna do? Beat me up? lol They know that playing against men is a whole different animal.
    If the WNBA All-Stars had five Candace Parkers maybe, but they dont, and UVAW beats them by 20

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast