Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Daily Devotional

Here's tomorrow's devotional...I'm going to watch a movie so I figured I would go ahead and dish it out!

February 28, 2004

Old Skinflint
    Read: 1 Timothy 6:17-19

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. "?John 3:16

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some people will do anything to save a buck. Like the miserly uncle I read about who invited his nephews to hunt for arrowheads in the field behind his house. Before the search could begin, however, he told the excited youngsters they had to move all the rocks out of the field and clear away the underbrush. By the time they were finished, it was too late to search for arrowheads. Later, they learned that none had ever been found on his property. When they complained to their dad, he said, "My old skinflint brother bamboozled you out of a day's work." Those boys will not soon forget how they were taken advantage of.

There's nothing wrong with being frugal. It's a matter of good stewardship. But there is something wrong with being so thrifty that you won't pay a boy what he's worth.

Stinginess at the cost of someone else's humiliation or hurt is not what our Lord wants. In 1 Timothy 6:18, we learn that we're to "do good" and be "ready to give, willing to share." We're to be fair, giving, and generous people.

God is the ultimate giver. He gave His Son, at unbelievable sacrifice, to offer us new life (John 3:16). Let's follow His example of love and generosity"?then we won't be accused of being an "old skinflint." "?Dave Egner

One grace each child of God can show
    Is giving from a willing heart;
    Yet, if we wait till riches grow,
    It well may be we'll never start. "?D. De Haan

Because God gives us all we need, let's give to others in their need.

Inactive Member Jack_N_The_Green's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

February 29, 2004

No Nobodies
    Read: 1 Corinthians 12:12-31

Those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. "?1 Corinthians 12:22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A visitor was being shown around a leper colony in India. At noon a gong sounded for the midday meal. People came from all parts of the compound to the dining hall. All at once peals of laughter filled the air. Two young men, one riding on the other's back, were pretending to be a horse and a rider and were having loads of fun.

As the visitor watched, he was told that the man who carried his friend was blind, and the man being carried was lame. The one who couldn't see used his feet; the one who couldn't walk used his eyes. Together they helped each other, and they found great joy in doing it.

Imagine a church like that"?each member using his or her strength to make up for another's weakness. That's what should be happening in every congregation of believers. Paul likened spiritual gifts to various parts of the human body. Eyes see. Ears hear. Hands work. Feet move the body forward. All are essential. And when each fulfills its function, the whole body benefits.

All of us have weaknesses, but we also have strengths. We are all different, but God has given each of us at least one gift to use for the good of the church. We need one another. In Christ's body there are no nobodies. "?Dennis De Haan

God can take a lowly vessel,
    Shape it with His mighty hand,
    Fill it with a matchless treasure,
    Make it serve a purpose grand. "?Bosch

There is no such thing as insignificant service for Christ.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

March 1, 2004

Strength For Today
    Read: Philippians 4:8-13

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. "?Philippians 4:13

Most people own a calendar or an appointment book in which they record details of future commitments. A Christian friend of mine uses one in the opposite way. He doesn't record key activities until after they've taken place.

Here's his approach: Each morning he prays, "Lord, I go forth in Your strength alone. Please use me as You wish." Then, whenever he accomplishes something unusual or difficult, he records it in his diary in the evening.

For example, he may write, "Today I was enabled to share my testimony with a friend." "Today God enabled me to overcome my fear through faith." "Today I was enabled to help and encourage a troubled person."

My friend uses the word enabled because he knows he couldn't do these things without God's help. By recording each "enabling," he is giving God all the glory. Relying constantly on God's strength, he can testify with the apostle Paul, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Philippians 4:13).

As you enter each new day, ask God to strengthen and use you. You can be sure that as you look back on your day, you'll praise and glorify the Lord as you realize what He has enabled you to do. "?Joanie Yoder

Lord, give me strength for this day's task,
    Not for tomorrow would I ask;
    At twilight hour, oh, may I say,
    "The Lord has been my guide today." "?Nillingham

God always gives enough strength for the next step.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

March 2, 2004

Going Out & Coming In
    Read: Numbers 27:15-23

At his word they shall go out, and at his word they shall come in. "?Numbers 27:21

The phrase "at his word" is used twice in Numbers 27:21 to emphasize how God would guide Israel. Joshua was to direct Israel to "go out" and "come in" based on what God told Eleazer the priest.

How often do we make a decision to go somewhere or do something based on our pride, personal ambition, or merely to keep busy? How often do we go only because someone we long to please asked us to go, rather than because we want to please the Lord? When we "go out" to pursue our own desires instead of following God's leading, we will be frustrated in our efforts and left empty and disappointed.

But when we go out at the Lord's prompting and direction, "at His word," He is responsible for the outcome. The result will be fruitful labor, whether we know it or not.

The time to "come in" is also ordered by the Lord. There are times to retreat"?to pray, to fill our hearts with His Word, to rest our bodies.

We must come daily before our great High Priest, the Lord Jesus, and receive His instruction. If we bow before Him and ask for His guidance, He will help us to know what to do and when to do it. "?David Roper

We need to take the time each day
    To read God's Word and pray,
    And listen for what He might say
    To guide us on our way. "?Sper

You can't go wrong if you follow God's lead.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

enjoying these jack keep up the good work
    "Take em one at a time and everything else will take care of itself"...Ole Tob

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys...just trying to get THE WORD out there!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

March 3, 2004

Unexpected Kindness
    Read: 1 Samuel 26:1-26

If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him a drink. "?Romans 12:20

A missionary was teaching a class of young girls about kindness. She told them about Jesus, who said that a person who gives a cup of water in His name "will by no means lose his reward" (Mark 9:41).

The next day the missionary watched as a group of weary men walked into the village square, removed their heavy backpacks, and sat down to rest. A few minutes later, several little girls shyly approached the surprised men and gave them all a drink. Then they ran to the missionary. "Teacher!" they shouted. "We gave those men a drink in Jesus' name."

Although Mark 9:41 applies primarily to showing kindness to believers in Christ, we know that we are to "do good to all" (Galatians 6:10) and even give our enemy a drink (Romans 12:20).

In today's Bible reading, David had the chance for revenge against King Saul (1 Samuel 26:9). But because David revered God, he showed kindness to the king.

Showing unexpected kindness to strangers or enemies will not always change their hearts. But sooner or later someone will wonder why we were kind, and we will have an opportunity to tell about our Lord, who was kind even to His enemies (Romans 5:10). "?Herb Vander Lugt

Do a deed of simple kindness,
    Though its end you may not see;
    It may reach, like widening ripples,
    Down a long eternity. "?Norris

One act of kindness may teach more about the love of God than many sermons.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tell your friends about these devotionals! It's weird to see a post about marijuana have more hits on it *no pun intended* than on a post of devotionals...I want to keep this running as long as possible!