Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: No Child Left Behind

To me the main problem with the party is they have no electable candidate, I mean I consider myself a democrat and I have no idea who I want to run in 08, neither Obama or Clinton is electable. Cant run, Dean, Kerry, or Lieberman. I've they chose today I'd have to go for Edwards he's the only chance to steal a southern state imo. Of course Rev. Sharpton is always a good choice. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i think obama would carry illinois, iowa, michigan, wisconsin and get ohio as well...of course he'd carry the new england states and california and thats all he'd need
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I dont know man Ohio is hard to win, the southern part of that state is as much republican as Southwest Virginia.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i really think obama would carry it...and virginia keeps getting closer and closer
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yea our state gets closer all the time I think its the influence of people moving out of Maryland and DC into Virginia. Its hard for me to imagine Virginia becoming a democrat state though.

No child left behind. Well sad truth is we all are getting left behind.
    I said it early in 04 i couldn't see a good person to vote for. And i wasn't being sarcastic. Bush is just Bush. He tries to run the US the way he ran Texas. Big problem not just one state. His administration is a joke. And honestly i didn't see a big change in Kerry if he got elected.
    Right now im not even thinking about 08. To far off and im waiting to see how much we get screwed over before then.
    All i can say is if your working. Well expect to do it till you die. If your college. Pick out a good education plan and once your out. Start a retirement plan. So hopefully you can retire by what ever we have in place before you work yourself to death.
    But for anyone else. All i can say is welcome aboard. Depending on your health. 70 may not be to old to retire at.
    If a male that give you basically 2 yrs to enjoy your retirement. A female 5 yrs.
    Man gives you something to really look forward to don't it. Which you know that all depends on your health and if you have health insurance or can afford it.
    About like the commercial i seen on tv. The little girl sick. Mom is trying to make a decision buy food or get her medication. Same with our elderly now. And just think 20 more years how many more will be joining that list of can i retire or will i not be able to survive? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think it is a good concept, but a bad plan. It is impossible to expect every kid to perform on the same level, I mean it is just not possible. Some kids are just slower learners, and some just cannot do it

On the other hand, I like the idea of trying to steadily improve out test scores and for us teachers being responsible for their test scores, but I think having 100% is quite un realistic.

I agree PoundNDN. No child learns at the same pace. And yes teacher should be held accountable. But it needs to be at a way. That shows what is being done.
    Sometimes i feel we have pushed to a point of making test a way of evaluating things that well are pushed into kids heads to learn. That is not real learning. And i think most student and teachers realize that. Your basically teaching what one test is looking for.
    To me i think there needs to be more of a break down as to child development. Some kids have learning problems many of these are never found until into adulthood. That i think is where a lot of kids drop through the holes.
    I wish there was a step way of evaluating kids today so those learning problems could be found and the kids helped. And those who need different style of educations can get them. Such as those with learning problems or those who just need something totally different.
    The vocational school offers some great skills. Many never know of it. Because of the push to put kids into a group specialized to passing certain test.
    I wish the nation and parents would listen to teachers for awhile and let them say. Ok we have been around this child for years. This is their core test scores. We see a potential problem. Maybe it is a learning problem. Let's find out. And go from there.
    Right now no child left behind is good. But it needs to be done on a scale to where the child actually gets what they need. Not all of us will be scientist. Very few will even finish a two year college program. So something needs to be done to help the students and reward the teachers, who care enough to say ok. We have evaluated this child and we see a problem. Not just one teacher. But several. That way children get more of what they need. Some who may have learning disabilities would get help. And i think as the educational system learned to do that. Many would take pride and we would see a big change in how things are done, and many children would go on to accomplish what they want. Whether prusue more education or a technical trade. Just my thoughts on it. But you cannot hold teachers responsible for it all. Many teachers only see a hand full of kids. If two or three teachers even beginning in elementary got to teach and observe some. And able to give basic test. I think it would show a big difference and help children who are having problem and it would help parents to.
    Just my opinion.

But i will say one thing. Some of the cuts on this list. Well if they get cut. They trickle down to us on the local level. Federal funding cuts always hurt states. Someone has to pay. And if eliminated all together. Well a huge problem. As the saying always seems to be and seem to be true. Republican love a bigger white house and Washington, and Democrats love a smaller Washington. Both parties need to find some common ground so every time there is a change. The whole country is not torn apart. As far as 08. Im not looking to it till it gets much closer.

I support W. I voted for W. But this is the one single issue I disagreed most with his presidency. He really dropped the ball on this one. Thats what you get when you let legislators make the policies for education.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I wish the people who make these SOL test actually realized how many people actually cheat on them, now the early ones are pretty easy. But you start taking Chemistry and Algebra II SOLS at least 3-4 people cheat on them from every class just to pass so they can get an advanced diploma I know I've seen it done. I also find it sad that these test make up so much of what kind of a student you are, honestly if I had it to do over I would've starting taking advanced classes when I was in 10th grade, the grading scale is much easier and each letter grade counts higher than a normal class. School system is funny reminds me alot of life the rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast