Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: album..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Guest 's Avatar

    album..

    I cannot for the life of me stop listening too or thinking about is one I was just turned onto not long ago. Radioheads "KID A". I just turn all the lights down low and sit and listen to it, I have sat and listened to it twice in a row before. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: album..

    OMG another Radiohead fan! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beer1.gif[/img]

    Does anyone remember a long time back when I used to have this image as my avatar?:
    ca RadioheadBends

    I've downloaded so many Radiohead songs, I'd be surprised if I didn't have about 90% of them.

    I've only listened to maybe 2 or 3 that I don't like, but the rest are just fantastic.

    My favorites include:

    Let Down
    How to Disappear Completely
    Fake Plastic Trees
    Punch-Drunk Love Song
    Bulletproof


    Glad you like them as well.. I think I enjoy their music because it's so emotionally powerful. Some of their songs are quite depressing, but they're just so powerful.. it's amazing.
    Officially retired

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: album..

    Has Tex turned you on to Muse yet, sb?
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  4. #4
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: album..

    Yeah he and I had a pretty good discussion on how I think the Muse sounds like Radiohead (which he hates). I got into KID A after reading a Chuck Closterman book. Well, I remember Pablo Honey coming out and Creep being everywhere, but anyway I just really enjoy the album on many different levels. Its sorta well planned yet so random.
    I listen to Weezer, In Flames, Yeah yeah yeahs, and radiohead these days with a lil Wolfmother in there.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: album..

    If you haven't listened to "OK Computer" or "The Bends" yet, you're in for a treat my friend.
    Officially retired

  6. #6
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: album..

    I have all of the albums, I just had not gotten into KID A. If you like KID A check out the piece Chuck Closterman wrote about the parralles of 9/11 to KID A, pretty interesting stuff. The Bends is pretty good, a lil more upbeat I guess than KID A, OK COMPUTER is awesome as well. I also really dig the white stripes. I have all 6 (I think its 6) of their albums.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: album..

    Yeah. Muse (vocally) sounds alot like Radiohead. I like it. I've never really been a huge fan of Radiohead though. I always liked Creep.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  8. #8
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: album..


    http://vassifer.blogs.com/alexinnyc/...rmans_the.html


    The passage below is the perfect example of what sleep deprivation does to the mind. This actually dates back to a couple of months ago, but the topic came up recently when I was having dinner with some friends of mine, so I thought I'd dust it off and put it up here (for people to scoff at).

    So, I know it has only just hit bookstore shelves (I found a review copy of it at work --- on the discard pile -- and read it), but in Chuck Klosterman's new book, "Killing Yourself to Live", he goes into great detail about how he feels that the sequence of Radiohead's Kid A (originally released on October 3, 2000) is eerily prescient with regards to the events of September 11, 2001. He's not suggesting that Thom Yorke is some sort've Nostrodamus, but this seemingly crackpot theory definetely made me want to listen to the album again.

    From Chuck's text....any spelling mistakes are my own.....

    The first song on Kid A paints the Manhattan skyline at 8:00 A.M. on Tuesday morning; the song is titled "Everything in Its Right Place." People woke up that day "sucking on a lemon," because that's what life normally feels like on the Manhattan subway; the city is a beautiful, sour, sarcastic place. We soon move onto song two, which is the title track. It is the sound of woozy, ephemeral normalcy. It is the sound of Jonny Greenwood playing an Ondes Martenot, an instrument best remembered for its use in the Star Trek theme song. You can imagine humans walking to work, riding elevators, getting off the C train and the 3 train, and thinking about a future that will be a lot like the present, only better. The term KID A is Yorke's moniker for the first cloned human, which he (only half jokingly) suspects may already exist. The consciously misguided message is this: Science is the answer. Technology solves everything, because technology is invulnerable. And this is what almost everyone in America thought around 8:30 A.M. But something happens three and a half minutes into "Kid A". It suddenly doesn't feel right, and you don't exactly know why. This is followed by track three, "The National Anthem"

    This is when the first plane slams into the north tower at 470 mph.

    "The National Anthem" sounds a bit like a Morphine song. It's a completley different
    direction from the first two songs on KID A, and it's confusing; it's chaotic. "What's going on?," the lyrics ask. "What's going on?" It gets crazier and crazier, until the second plane hits the second tower (at 9:03 A.M. in reality and at 3:42 in the song). For a moment, things are somber. But then it gets more anarchic. (Reader's Note: You might want to consider playing KID A right about now, since I'm not always so good at explaining [censored] like this). Which leads into track four, "How to Disappear Completely." This is the point where it feels like the world is possibly ending. People try to convince themselves that they are not there. People keep repeating: "This isn't happening". People are "floating" (read: falling) to the earth. We are told of strobe lights and blown speakers; there are fireworks and hurricanes. This is a song about being burned alive and jumping out of windows, and this is a song about having to watch those things happen. And it's followed by an instrumental piece without melody ("Treefingers"), because what can you say when skyscrapers collapse? All you can do is stare at them with your hand over your mouth.

    Time passes. It's afternoon. KID A's side two, if you have it on vinyl. Action is replaced by thought. The song is "Optimistic, " a word that becomes more meaningful in its absence. It has lyrics about Ground Zero ("vultures circle the dead"), and it offers a glimpse into how Al Qaeda members think Americans perceive international diplomacy ("the big fish eat the little ones, the big fish eat the little ones/Not my problem, give me some"). Track seven, "In Limbo" is about how the United States has been shaken out of its fantasy, with "nowhere to hide," finding only "trap doors that open, I spiral down"......


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •