Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Total cost estimate.....

Quick form a committee on what is the best way to get a committee [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

(Sorry people have to try and have some fun with it, because honestly its going to tick off a bunch of people no matter what they do at this point. You have your hellfire and brimstone against consolidation crowd, you have your hellfire and brimstone against taxes increased crowd, then you have your people who are not sure whats best, want the best, dont mind change or paying, but want facts)
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Another very poignant question Rock. For me personally, if the cost really wasn't that much different, and at this point who knows, I'd rather see new schools built than try to renovate these old ones whether it be six or three or two or whatever. It just makes more sense financially -- Newer facilities historically require less upkeep than significantly older ones -- you could not convince me otherwise of this fact. I just wish we had other figures available to compare.
    ......and I thought truth was universal. Silly me......

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have been saying this for a long time. Have told a few BOS and School Board members this.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For what it would cost to renovate Kelly, a new school could be built to house Kelly and Pound. Something that needs to be considered.
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Three points:
    1)Don't think that the new superintendent is dumb enough to "back door" or propose consolidation after the Basham incident. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know that this would be political suicide.
    2))It is absolutely the right thing to do to put this to public referendum and let the voters decide. The School board is out of it at that point, as well as the board of supervisors. No finger pointing, no blame.
    2) It is common knowledge that you can build a NICE high school for 25 million.

Harlan County has an amazing virtual tour of the school they are building. The gymnasium is as nice as any college around.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    rocket surgeon

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of school do you have to have for that? Part medical part NASA? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

Inactive Member imported_neutral's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Be real about it all. Put it out there all the figures.
    Consolidation with 2 or 3 schools. All new and modern and state of the art and the cost.
    And then the proposals for renovating 6 schools and the cost.
    Plus what the tax payers will pay.
    The one point where Dr. Basham messed up. No real figures.
    Then let the citizens and taxpayers of Wise Co. decide what they can afford and what they are willing to pay for.
    Every one wants the most for their buck. And i think everyone will choose the right decision.
    Let the campaigning for an against consolidation and renovation begin.
    Just put the figures out there and let those who pay the bills decide what they can afford. And involve all. Low class to high class.
    And tell all. Of how good or how bad it could be. Renovation wise and how good or bad it can be consolidation wise.
    Once everything is out there. Then it's up for the people to weigh and decide what they want. What they can expect and what they can live with. And still not go broke paying for it.
    The way of democracy.
    What were teaching those in other countries is the best way to choose and live.
    By majority unless it's for president where you have the electorial college votes.
    Which kind of well throws democracy out the window.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Virginia has no provision for such a referendum. It would take a special legislative act, or more probably a constitutional amendment to provide for such a vote.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would have to disagree with the $25 million figure. Chesterfield County just spent $55 million on the new Crosby high. I would be very suspicious of claims for construction below the $35 or $40 million mark. The size of the school, site preparation, and degree of ancillary facilities are cost variables.