Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Cast Iron cooking

Deep fry it? One great way to resurrect an old piece of cast iron is to throw it in a brush fire and let it burn everything off. Then you can re-season it.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

722 I have tried that. I threw one in a barrel fire one time it got to hot and cracked it. But yeah a outside fire is a good way.

Deep fry in it. Before cooking in it. That way after you season it it can still season. While you fry good food.
    GO VOLS

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We cook nearly everything in cast iron. We have every size skillet from a 3 to a 12 including a nice #10 Martin with lid. This is a rare skillet that was never sold to the public, but could only be obtained by buying a martin cook stove back in the day.

I stock two small antiques booths and I do sell cast iron. Griswold is a good seller and tends to have decent value. It was made in Erie Pa. As a rule of thumb big and small tend to be more valuable than the more common sizes.

We actually prefer Wagner skillets, made in sydney Ohio. They tend to have fair value as well, but not as high as Griswold. Even though I think they are a better skillet.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a large round pizza pan thats cast iron that I make my pizza's in. It does very well.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If it cracked from the fire it may not have been a quality skillet to begin with?

Home method that works very well is to coat the skillet with crisco or a similar product (not too heavy) and then heat in the oven at 500 degrees for 1 hour...or a little more. Allow to cool in oven. This works best if the rust isn't too bad. Also be sure to run the exhaust fan for the stove as it will smoke

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thats the way I go about it as well Gotch. I tend to agree, that if it cracked in a fire like that, it was probably a weak product to begin with. Good cast iron should stand up to about anything (other than moisture [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] )

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The pizza pan sounds great. Not sure I've ever seen one, but it makes sense.

Does it have any markings on the bottom?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12