Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

AT&T and Alltel Merger

Does anyone know the latest on the merger? I had heard that comparable AT&T phones will be mailed out to existing Alltel customers in early FALL... and everyone would be informed on when they would start using them. Anyone heard this??
    When you become senile, you won't know it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: AT&T and Alltel Merger

The letter I got said we would get another letter in the mail in the fall in which you would choose to get an AT&T phone comparable to yours or upgrade via mail. It would then be mailed to you prior to the date of service switch and as of a certain date you can use the phone. This would help with 40,000 people showing up at a retail store on the date of the switch. So from what I have understood is most everything will be thru the mail.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Last I read it was pushed back to later this year and possibly next year.
    crack is whack

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have been following this thread on Howard Forums for updates on the merger. The thread started nearly a year ago though so some of the information on the first few pages may not be entirely accurate. There seems to be a few people who work for Alltel on there and get some information before it's known officially.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UTVols2 View Post
    The letter I got said we would get another letter in the mail in the fall in which you would choose to get an AT&T phone comparable to yours or upgrade via mail. It would then be mailed to you prior to the date of service switch and as of a certain date you can use the phone. This would help with 40,000 people showing up at a retail store on the date of the switch. So from what I have understood is most everything will be thru the mail.
    Although I can't find anything about an expected time frame for when it'll happen that goes along with what's on the at&t site's merger info for existing customers.

Free comparable phone or data device

• AT&T will provide you with a new, FREE phone or data device comparable to the one you have today with no additional contract term required.
    • If you prefer, you will be able to upgrade your current mobile phone to one of AT&T's innovative mobile phones like the iPhone?.2

In the coming weeks, we'll send you information and ordering instructions for your new AT&T phone or data device options. Just prior to your service transition date, we'll ship your new AT&T phone or data device and let you know the date you must begin using it.
    [LEFT][IMG]http://www.dsslexius.net/forums/images/smilies/goneinsanegif.gif[/IMG][/LEFT]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The letter I got didn't give a time frame for when we'd be notified about choosing a new phone, just that it would be done in time to have the new phone on hand when the switch was official. The switch could take "up to a year."

I think what I'm going to do is wait and see what the plans are like for us locally when they send out the paperwork, then decide whether to stay with AT&T or go with Verizon. I'm not under contract now, just waiting to see what will work better.

I'm doubtful as to how solid the coverage for AT&T will be for us rural folks. Their commercials and their maps say they cover 97% of Americans, but that other 3% is the rural minority - how many dead zones will we find traveling in SWVA, NETN, NWNC, WV...
    There wont be any tower sharing like Verizon/Alltel had.

AT&T current map:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/coverage...34264251&sci=3

Verizon current map:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/C...ype=NEWREQUEST
    You'll shoot your eye out.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks all,, I too am out of contract, just waiting to see what will happen. I guess the way it reads you can stay with your current Alltel plan even when AT&T takes over. I've had cell service since the days of 360 degrees..( 95-96 ) Loyalty doesn't mean squat in this day in age.
    When you become senile, you won't know it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

AT&T's plans are simliar.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]