Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sup. Rivers... a "tool"

The Coalfield says Rivers mentioned having a "tool" to fight consolidation last month. Turns out, it's a new ordinance that would require county buildings that increase their regular occupancy 10% or more be upgraded to meet current fire & building codes, but the Supers wouldn't have to pay for it. However, the schools AREN'T county buildings, but school system buildings.
    Don't quite see how that helps them any. Just looks like a "tool" for more ridicule to me

School building proposal on tap Thursday

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sup. Rivers... a "tool"

It actually doesn't apply since the school buildings still fall under the code when they were built in the 1950's, unless major renovations are done to the building. Really not a "tool" that can be used to stop consolodation, he was thinking about when He and his wife Betty Cornett have to bring things up to code when they work on their rental properties and use it.
    Example is when the new energy efficient windows and AC was put in each classoom at John I. Burton back in the 90's they had to redo the electrical for the whole school to current building code.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It doesn't matter when they were built... he wants to change it so it also applies to a 10% pop. increase.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you can't see the forest for the trees...
    he wants a county mandate that a county bldg. be upgraded without the county paying for it.
    So, who does?

Here's the kicker...
    (I don't know actually examples, but think along these lines...)
    When a small place with a few employees, like the library or extension office or sheriff's dept., hires 1 or 2 new ppl, they'll cross the 10% line, and BOOM .... automatic new expenses.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tonight was fun! I didn't hear this mentioned, but Rivers did lay out a proposal that is identical to the SB of keeping all six open...BUT JJK does not get a new school. And I got to finally experience the mob tonight after the meeting, only took me three speeches, loved every bit of it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    Tonight was fun! I didn't hear this mentioned, but Rivers did lay out a proposal that is identical to the SB of keeping all six open...BUT JJK does not get a new school. And I got to finally experience the mob tonight after the meeting, only took me three speeches, loved every bit of it.
    Sounds like fun....was Bama Man there to tell you that they all really like you and were just tring to get under your skin? LOL

Did anyone blast them for circle jerking around and losing a 15 Mill interest free?

Just wondering because I do not rember it being talked about .......IF the closing 3 small schools is blocked by hook or crook does anyone have any idea what kind of cuts the schools will need to make in order to continue treading water?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Haha I'll say Bama man was not in attendance, I know he's said somethings on here, but he's not in that bunch(well at least participating during the meeting) that the rudest people you'll ever meet in your life.

And it was mentioned, cannot remember his name, but the guy from the pro-consolidation side(the younger one out of the two regulars) mentioned it. It was talked about by another guy on the other side, who said you could use it for anything and not just consolidation - Rivers picked that up later on, but even admitted you'd lose quite a bit of it. It really didn't get good until most had left around 930 or so, then Rivers did his proposal. He tried his best to drag it on as long as possible, then Dana adjourned, the **** hit the fan after that. Everyone starts yelling and moaning, then who else but betty gets up and starts yelling at the board "that's pitiful" "you're a disgrace" etc...of course I couldn't keep my big mouth shut since the meeting was over and started right back with "This is one to talk back here" and such, boy did I get it in the hallway lol. Half of them surrounded me and *****ed, betty called me little boy and told me about her sons getting degrees and being successful, I said that was great and good for them, but that could happen more with consolidation.

A part that was mentioned that I think more needed to hear, they asked the financial adviser if we keep all six open, of course he said no and said we couldn't without a 10-20 cent at the lowest, well everyone had to jump in and say "I'll pay it", but it was pointed out that that is only a FIX for the time being...in several years that's going to go up and up with these buildings getting older, enrollment still declining and inflation to cover. Yeah you might be able to do it for a couple of years with an increase, but it just makes a bigger mess and the schools would have to be renovated AGAIN.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What I was most interested in tonight was the redistricting debacle. From what I can gather, there are 3 plans on the table up for a vote. Two of those 3 plans, if I am not mistaken, would "district" Kilgore out of a seat and that has gotten under her skin. She does not support those two of cours, but she does support the 3rd one that is actually the one we have now.

And what do you all think about the abrupt adjournment last night right in the middle of Robbins' comments? At least two supervisors left last night pretty ****ed off and some of that was caught on tape. When you finally get under Robbins' skin, look out, and I do think that got under his skin.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There are three plans, but only Rivers/Robbins plan puts her out of the district. Shortt's creates three districts, 2 officials per district with 1 who runs at large for the whole county giving an odd number of 7...or possibly 3 per district giving 9, that was discussed two, but the former was really what he was going for. The other plan leaves it all the same it is now. And Rivers/Robbins plan keeps 8, see he presented his new map and an older one he had presented back in january - that's not two plans, they're just going to use those two maps and tweak them into one, but yes both did put her out of her district.

Rivers was just pulling a stunt, so let him get ****ed, I only wish it had been adjourned long before that. It wasn't like she waited and caught him in mid sentence and just closed it, it was being talked about and most had agreed to wrap it up except Rivers and she just did it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    Haha I'll say Bama man was not in attendance, I know he's said somethings on here, but he's not in that bunch(well at least participating during the meeting) that the rudest people you'll ever meet in your life.

And it was mentioned, cannot remember his name, but the guy from the pro-consolidation side(the younger one out of the two regulars) mentioned it. It was talked about by another guy on the other side, who said you could use it for anything and not just consolidation - Rivers picked that up later on, but even admitted you'd lose quite a bit of it. It really didn't get good until most had left around 930 or so, then Rivers did his proposal. He tried his best to drag it on as long as possible, then Dana adjourned, the **** hit the fan after that. Everyone starts yelling and moaning, then who else but betty gets up and starts yelling at the board "that's pitiful" "you're a disgrace" etc...of course I couldn't keep my big mouth shut since the meeting was over and started right back with "This is one to talk back here" and such, boy did I get it in the hallway lol. Half of them surrounded me and *****ed, betty called me little boy and told me about her sons getting degrees and being successful, I said that was great and good for them, but that could happen more with consolidation.

A part that was mentioned that I think more needed to hear, they asked the financial adviser if we keep all six open, of course he said no and said we couldn't without a 10-20 cent at the lowest, well everyone had to jump in and say "I'll pay it", but it was pointed out that that is only a FIX for the time being...in several years that's going to go up and up with these buildings getting older, enrollment still declining and inflation to cover. Yeah you might be able to do it for a couple of years with an increase, but it just makes a bigger mess and the schools would have to be renovated AGAIN.
    Just wondering what her sons do not where they went to college at and such and where they are now

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast