Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm, who to pull for in this match-up? lol

Washington (CNN) -- Protesting members of the controversial Westboro Baptist Church were met with an unlikely group of counterprotesters Monday at Arlington Cemetery.

Hours before President Barack Obama led the nation's Memorial Day observances at the Tomb of the Unknowns, three members of the Westboro Baptist Church were challenged by others who disagreed with them -- including members claiming to be from the Ku Klux Klan.

The Kansas-based church has attracted nationwide attention for its angry, anti-gay protests at the funerals of U.S. military members.

Among those counter-protesting at the cemetery's main entrance: About 10 members of a group that claims to be a branch of the Ku Klux Klan from Virginia called the Knights of the Southern Cross. They were cordoned off separately in a nearby area, but drew little attention as they gave out small American flags behind a banner that read "POW-MIA."

They said they were there to object to the Westboro Baptist Church's anti-troop message.

"It's the soldier that fought and died and gave them that right to free speech," said Dennis LaBonte, the self-described "Imperial Wizard" of the KKK group that he said he formed several years ago.

"That's fine," said Abigail Phelps, the daughter of Westboro Baptist Church founder Fred Phelps. "They have no moral authority on anything.

"People like them say it's white power ... white supremacy," Phelps said. "The Bible doesn't say anywhere that it's an abomination to be born of a certain gender or race."

LaBonte insisted he is not a racist nor a "hate-monger," but said he believes the white race is "slowly and most assuredly being denigrated."

Members of the group declined to say whether they were armed.

A larger group of about 70 protesters -- separate from the KKK -- located across the street waved pro-USA signs and took turns shouting down the Westboro Baptist Church group.

Some of the counterprotesters, including Malaika Elias, stood in front of the Westboro participants in an attempt to block them from street view.

"I think they're twisted and confused, and we're just here to show them there are people who think they're completely wrong," Elias said.

Many passersby shouted their thanks to the counterprotesters as they entered the cemetery on foot and in vehicles.

Several police officers, some on horseback, observed the proceedings.

Phelps said her trio was there to tell people they should not "idolize" the dead, especially those who died for an "unrighteous cause."

Counterprotesters confront Westboro Baptist Church at Arlington - CNN.com

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Hmmm, who to pull for in this match-up? lol

I would say the lesser of the two evils. Neither one is a good one to pull for but at least the KKK was there to stand up for the fallen troops. I just find it truly despicable that we can not all get along and live peacefully with one another. There is so much going on in the US and the world that as a nation we should be united and not divided but that is WAY too much to ask/hope for. With that being said all the sudden I have "We Are The World" song running through my head haha!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I read this article and wondered the same thing. But it's a perfect matchup. I hope they all lose. You know it's bad when the KKK is able to take the "moral high road" on an issue.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My first thought upon reading this the other day was "What a nice place to lob a pipe bomb that would have been"
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Im sure that r13 who idolizes harvey milk a deceased gay politican. Wood stand up for the gay commuinity

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taz007 View Post
    Im sure that r13 who idolizes harvey milk a deceased gay politican. Wood stand up for the gay commuinity
    What's wrong with not being a backwards-assed retarded hillbilly who can't spell everyday words like "would"? You've made two posts today and both show what a fricking tard you are.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Let's all chill out. We all know its not nice to use "gay" or "retarded". I think we are all adults here. How about next time we want to reference someone we use homosexual or mentally challenged. Not trying to be a smart aleck here but I really don't like the use of either word having worked with and taken care of both.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm not talking about a mentally challenged person. I'm talking about a complete moron/retard. There's a big difference IMO. The term retard for mentally challenged people is archaic and obviously not what I'm talking about. Lets not get our panties in a wad over something that is in no way a reference to anything that's a PC issue. The mental midget bashing someone with a different sexual preference is open for you to tee off on at will though.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

Inactive Member collegetrumpet2010's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's the fact that these guys are protesting military funerals with slogans such as "God hates fags." Anyone who protests saying "God hates fags" has definitely got some issues. I thought God was our loving father?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just someone stalking my facebook, Harvey Milk is someone in my "inspirational people" because he stood up for what he believed and was assassinated for it. MLK and Gandhi is on my list too for the same thing, I guess that makes me a gay-black-indian? You don't have to be the definition of what you defend, hell DJ is on my friends list and he could probably tell you I'm straight. lol Ahhh, small minds talk about people constantly when they intellectually challenged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast