Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Imagine that...

NASHVILLE ? Senate Speaker Ron Ramsey expects Tennessee will put in place a law that requires drug tests for people drawing government assistance or workers? compensation. Other high-ranking Republicans aren?t so sure.
    The House speaker and the governor have voiced concerns about the cost and whether federal rules that govern the programs, including food stamps and welfare, give the state enough flexibility to start drug-testing programs that can survive a legal challenge.
    Ramsey, R-Blountville, recently told the Nashville Chamber of Commerce that a similar proposal last legislative session carried a $12 million price tag, but did not take into account the savings the state or employers will see from cutting off benefits to drug users.
    Ramsey expects law mandating drug tests for those receiving government assistance- Kingsport Times-News

Someone other than working folks getting tested.
    We'll keep the lights on for you.
    Spuds

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Imagine that...

I love it, saw it on WCYB-5 from what they are saying, it will most likely pass. I hope VA follows suit, and I think it would save money down the road...
    [img]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/cfd_1623/l_718884585b96167d3016bd636fbe24c0.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They tried it in Florida and it lost money. That was from the cost of the test alone compared to the small amount saved by the 5% who lost benefits from testing positive. Then there was the yet to be determined cost of the various lawsuits including a strong one from the ACLU. Already been put on hold there.

I'm not kidding when I say that the first people in this country who should be drug tested are office holders and Federal and state appointees. Just ran into a sitting judge in TN being a pill head. That's a lot bigger problem than a few welfare moms doing the same. The cost of retrying all of his cases is going to be huge.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It sounds good on paper, but it's a complete failure in practice. It might possibly work on a small scale where drugs are highly present and assistance is just as high, but state-wide it's a disaster. People don't grasp that drug-tests cost money, a lot of money and in every state it would cost a lot more to carry out then save. Only 1-2% actually tested positive, contrary to all of the stereotypes not all or most of the people receiving assistance are scumbag druggies.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Your facts are different than the story-

"Less than 1 percent of welfare applicants in Florida tested positive in the first quarter after the law went into effect in July. Thirty-two applicants failed the test, 7,028 passed and 1,597 didn’t take it, according figures released by the state"- that would be 1% plus the 1600 that didn't even try the test. !600 out of 8600 isn't 1%
    Spuds

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lol So 1,600 that didn't take the test tested positive? Sitting here trying to figure out that ridiculous math you have going on. You can't assumed all failed it or even close to it, at best for your have to assume that the same amount failed in that smaller group, which would be 32 out of 1600(that's of course about 5 times highers then what you should really use), leaving a whopping 64 people out of 8600+. It's a failure, face it, sorry that everyone receiving assistance wasn't on drugs, this dumb myth Reagan conjured up with his "welfare queen" images to stick in the mind of middle/lower classes to deflect their income issues on why the wealthiest get cut after cut.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Working around people who receive assistance has given me a pretty good grasp on it. There are many, many people who do need this aid. We cant allow ourselves to take it from them, ever.

But there are several cheaters of the system. Lowlifes, and I mean lowest of the low, are getting this. If I were to guess, I would say at least twenty percent are abusing the system, and I'm being generous with that number. I could go into detail, but I would only piss everybody off.

For all the good I think this system does, it is still severely flawed.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I also think Food stamps need to be more like WIC. I don't feel like tax dollars should be spread around so people can use them to stock up on an abundance of Mountain Dew and gummy worms.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    Lol So 1,600 that didn't take the test tested positive? Sitting here trying to figure out that ridiculous math you have going on. You can't assumed all failed it or even close to it, at best for your have to assume that the same amount failed in that smaller group, which would be 32 out of 1600(that's of course about 5 times highers then what you should really use), leaving a whopping 64 people out of 8600+. It's a failure, face it, sorry that everyone receiving assistance wasn't on drugs, this dumb myth Reagan conjured up with his "welfare queen" images to stick in the mind of middle/lower classes to deflect their income issues on why the wealthiest get cut after cut.
    In the real world, if you refuse to take a drug test it is considered positive- at least the rules I have to play by. And can you give me a reason a person would cut off thier own "cash cow" other than knowing you can't pass this test? The story mentions a 25-35 dollar cost for the test, why stop welfare or food stamps for such a small amount?
    Spuds

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I haven't used any illegal substance in over a quarter of a century and as a truck driver I use to take DOT drug screens, I was even in charge of transportation and monitoring other employees having screens but now that I have been self employed for several years my attitude has shifted radically concerning drug testing. When it was first introduced by the Government I felt it was an invasion of my privacy but I ended up submitting to it anyway. Now I would never submit to a drug test under ANY circumstances despite not being a drug user. We have given away our rights in this country in order to "feel safer", but as Benjamin Franklin said, "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

duckmeat: aren't there already safeguards in place to weed out cheaters? Aren't these policies ignored or poorly policed, if policed at all?

We could save more money and help the country far more by requiring anyone running for office to take random drug tests and also requiring tests for judges, D.A's etc.

The pillhead judge in Tn is going to cost the taxpayer millions due to retrials, lawyers, expert witnesses, etc. Know how many welfare cheats who'd have to catch to equal the savings of catching him before he screwed up 100's of cases? Including the Channon Christian case, which is going to run into the millions by itself to retry. Not to mention the agony that her family will have to again endure. Catching him beforehand would trump catching every welfare cheat in the state.
    Last edited by Gotch; December 30th, 2011 at 03:58 PM.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast