Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $100,000 a year and still feels poor.....WTF!?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: $100,000 a year and still feels poor.....WTF!?

I know well about tuition and student loans from having had them and paying them off.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

And how recent was that? Just 10 years ago, it was considerably cheaper - don't know when you went, I'm just saying. It's over 20k for out of state students at UVAw and around 8k for in-state students, that's 80-30k for a 4-year degree for a college right in our own county. It's considerably higher in other places in the state and of course in others(though UVAW isn't the cheapest either, there are some more local places that are slightly cheaper). That's just tuition too, add another 4-5k for housing for those staying on campus, not even counting meals on campus, materials and one of the biggest money-rackets...books, can easily spend several grand there. A degree is turning into what it used to be 60-70 years ago, something reserved for the privileged.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Doesn't the last tax changes make college expenses a dollar for dollar deduction?
    We'll keep the lights on for you.
    Spuds

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Absolutely not.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There is no reason all those out of state students can't go to a school in there own state and pay considerably less tuition so they can't complain about the cost when it was by their choice to pay more. I also learned very quickly after my first semester that books are too easy to come by free or very cheap from people that had taken the class so I spent very very little on books, except for the new ones that hadn't been used before. I also didn't buy any workbooks, I would make a copy from a friends or from the professors. On campus meals were the best deal anywhere when I was UVAw, could eat in the cafeteria for $3-4 bucks.

Anyway I'm not even trying to argue that tuition rates are high. I am saying that once you graduate high school you are an adult and if you make the decision to go to college then you do so knowing what the costs are and it's welcome to life and the real world where you have to pay to play.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It wasn't their "choice to pay more", it was their choice to attend this college maybe because of what it offers or whatever. There's no reason out-of-state tuition fee's should be more than double what instate students pay. It's like that at every college. What you're saying is they should be limited to whatever school that's in their state, even though a nearby state/school may offer more or have excellent programs for their particular career field. And yeah, not that easy now. For starters, there's buy-book programs that most students sell theirs backl if they can and get quick cash and then those are resold. The internet is the cheapest place if you can find it and they're not that cheap. Books are probably a lot more expensive than they are now and changed more than before - hard to find any book used more than 3 years and that's mainly english. History/Math/Science books(this isn't everywhere I'm sure) are changed frequently with new editions they want to use...one book changed between first and second semester that I had to get. It's a completely different animal than when you went and like I said, it's a different animal just 10-12 years ago.

Rates have skyrocketed, so it's easy to say welcome to the real world when the real world was a lot less expensive when you headed in.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes it was their choice, you have the same first hand knowledge of this that I do. UVAw doesn't offer anything any better or more that KY kids can't get at Berea, Union, Georgetown, Pikeville, Allice Lloyd, Morehead, EKU etc. for TN kids they have ETSU, LMU, Carson-Newman, King, Cumberland, Milligan, Tusculum, Walters State etc. The last I knew they also offered the kids that are very close to the line like Jenkins/Whitesburg areas in state tuition just to get them to come.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    Absolutely not.
    CollegeData - Pay Your Way - Tax Breaks for College
    "The Lifetime Learning credit is advantageous for individuals and families who don't qualify for the American Opportunity credit. While the maximum credit is not as large, and the income limits not as high, the rules for qualified expenses are more lenient. For example, family members need only take one college or job-related course to incur qualified expenses.
    Amount of credit: The maximum amount of the credit is $2,000 per tax return (20 percent of the first $10,000 of qualified education expenses paid for eligible students).
    College years covered: The credit applies to all college years, including postgraduate education. There is no limit on the number of years that family members can claim the credit"

Sounds like 10000 over 4 years to me. Community college wil have some things that will transfer and some grants are available for almost any income level.
    We'll keep the lights on for you.
    Spuds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12