Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jeff Adkins

All I gotta say is that guy is as classy as it gets. Dickenson County and Ervinton were having problems money wise to get those girls to the state tournament. Im sure they were going to make it but it wasnt going to be the stellar trip that they deserved to have. Jeff went over to Ervinton and gave them 500 bucks so they could have a good trip. Allen Atwood found out about it and upped the donation. Classy guys right there.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Jeff Adkins

What is sad is the fact that this school wasn't in good enough shape financially to send these girls up with the style they deserve. Why didn't D i c k e n s o n county school system help? Or better yet, the schools of Clintwood and Haysi?

Just a sign of the times, I am afraid.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really dont know the answer on that one but I know Superintendent Robinson was very happy that Coeburn had helped them out. I cant blame d i c k enson county for it though. Money is just tight everywhere right now. When I coached against Ervinton this past year, the locker room flooded, the room where the refs changed out was knee high deep in water and the scoreboard was horribly jacked up to the point they were expecting a malfunction in the game which did happen and took 15 mins to get fixed.(that was at clinchco)
    They didnt make alot of money from football or boys basketball either so I know their budget is pretty tight. Great folks over there though. Just a tough situation.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, but, what about the BOS. They have a discretionary fund they could have used. Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that an individual from Wise county helped, but how much longer can we, as a region, rely on the help of individuals for something like this. Ervington sits right in the middle of one of the richest coal mining operations in the region, couldn't they help? It would have been great community relations.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Glad they got helped out (i had no Idea of the situation before the post)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Guys it isn't just Dickenson County either. When JJK won state in golf a few years back they went on money that Lana Prater raised,but i'll tell you what if it had been football.... (same in this case I'd bet the farm),but enough negative. The positive being that these 2 are stand up guys,and big ups to both of 'em.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    Guys it isn't just Dickenson County either. When JJK won state in golf a few years back they went on money that Lana Prater raised,but i'll tell you what if it had been football.... (same in this case I'd bet the farm),but enough negative. The positive being that these 2 are stand up guys,and big ups to both of 'em.
    I would bet that in this case, the school really didn't have the funds in the athletic fund to pay this. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be the "heavy" in this. I just think that the county BOS or SB could have done something. Afterall, they right now, they are the pride of their county and school system and as such, should be taken care of by their own county systems and not have to rely on "outside" help unless it was just absolutely unavoidable. They really have been treated like the proverbial "red-headed step-child in their county.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kudos to both gentleman on helping out.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08