Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Democrat control is scarier than I thought

By JOHN HEILPRIN
    The Associated Press
    Sunday, November 19, 2006; 1:31 PM

WASHINGTON -- Americans would have to sign up for a new military draft after turning 18 if the incoming chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee has his way.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., said Sunday he sees his idea as a way to deter politicians from launching wars and to bolster U.S. troop levels insufficient to cover potential future action in Iran, North Korea and Iraq.

"There's no question in my mind that this president and this administration would never have invaded Iraq, especially on the flimsy evidence that was presented to the Congress, if indeed we had a draft and members of Congress and the administration thought that their kids from their communities would be placed in harm's way," Rangel said.

Rangel, a veteran of the Korean War who has unsuccessfully sponsored legislation on conscription in the past, said he will propose a measure early next year.

In 2003, he proposed a measure covering people age 18 to 26. This year, he offered a plan to mandate military service for men and women between age 18 and 42; it went nowhere in the Republican-led Congress.

Democrats will control the House and Senate come January because of their victories in the Nov. 7 election.

At a time when some lawmakers are urging the military to send more troops to Iraq, "I don't see how anyone can support the war and not support the draft," said Rangel, who also proposed a draft in January 2003, before the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, a South Carolina Republican who is a colonel in the U.S. Air Force Standby Reserve, said he agreed that the U.S. does not have enough people in the military.

"I think we can do this with an all-voluntary service, all-voluntary Army, Air Force, Marine Corps and Navy. And if we can't, then we'll look for some other option," said Graham, who is assigned as a reserve judge to the Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals.

Rangel, the next chairman of the House tax-writing committee, said he worried the military was being strained by its overseas commitments.

"If we're going to challenge Iran and challenge North Korea and then, as some people have asked, to send more troops to Iraq, we can't do that without a draft," Rangel said.

He said having a draft would not necessarily mean everyone called to duty would have to serve. Instead, "young people (would) commit themselves to a couple of years in service to this great republic, whether it's our seaports, our airports, in schools, in hospitals," with a promise of educational benefits at the end of service.

Graham said he believes the all-voluntary military "represents the country pretty well in terms of ethnic makeup, economic background."

Repeated polls have shown that about seven in 10 Americans oppose reinstatement of the draft and officials say they do not expect to restart conscription.

Outgoing Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld told Congress in June 2005 that "there isn't a chance in the world that the draft will be brought back."

Yet the prospect of the long global fight against terrorism and the continuing U.S. commitment to stabilizing Iraq have kept the idea in the public's mind.

The military drafted conscripts during the Civil War, both world wars and between 1948 and 1973. An agency independent of the Defense Department, the Selective Service System trains, keeps an updated registry of men age 18-25 _ now about 16 million _ from which to supply untrained draftees that would supplement the professional all-volunteer armed forces.

Rangel and Graham appeared on "Face the Nation" on CBS.

___

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

-Teddy Roosevelt

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Democrat control is scarier than I thought

Did you happen to notice the part where it said he had sponsored legislation like this in the past?

And now think about what party got us in the situation where we need more people in the army to begin with.

I personally do not believe the draft should be reinstated at this time. But you can't blame the party for one person's idea.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well eventually, if you're going to be the worlds police, not to mention keeping a defense at home for anything that happens here (natural disasters, etc), there is going to have to be more troops.

We could handle Afghanistan with the troops we have
    We could handle that and keep our own country safe.

When you start throwing Iraq, and the neverending squirmish there, when you mention all the other places we have bases of operations (be it small quantity of troops or whatever) and you start looking at a situation like Korea possibly coming up, what is your solution?

You didn't join the military, I didn't join the military, and not many others do join the military. Kind of hard to get people to volunteer when they are faced with the basic knowledge that as soon as they finish training, off they go.

This guy has been campaigning for a draft when there was Republican control, why in the world is he 'suddenly going to do it'.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You make valid points. I dont have the answers for Iraq. Never thought it was a great idea in the first place but someone had to pay. I was as mad as anyone after 9/11, I wanted someone to pay for what had been done to us, whether it be Iraq or whoever. I hope it gets resolved without the draft, but if thats the Democrats solution, then indeed its very scary times.

I kind of wish I had went into service, everytime I watch Band of Brothers it makes me wish I had. That sounds corny but hearing those guys talk makes tears well up and makes me think that I do owe somebody something for this great life Im living.

-Teddy Roosevelt

I didn't like the idea of the bodies being dragged thru the streets after the "Blackhawk" thing. But if we had pulled this style "police action"(as in Iraq) we might be stuck there as long as we have been in Korea. Most don't see it that way, but if we had done Iraq and got out it would have sent a strong , "don't push us" . Now it could be seen as, " They will bleed themselves dry of cash". Bin Lauden struck the US so we invaded Iraq? The borders swing like screen doors and we haven't spent very much on them, and the national debt is being financed by borrowing from other countries. Great morals, sell the country to the enemy. But the bottom line is still the same, we are spreading troops every where without planning on getting out. You can't do that ,George, without planning on a draft. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

How do we do it and then get out? How long does it take to change a countries political landscape? 6 months? Iraq just happened to be a starting point, if your going to make significant changes in the world, in that area you have to start somewhere, we started in Afghan. and Iraq. Iran and Syria, if we started there, people would be asking what about Iraq. The same with Korea, its attention is payed less, maybe they are more equipped for a nuclear program but they are also other countries around who will be along side in regards of Korean relations. The middle-east, its Israel and the surrounding countries who hate them, therefore hate the US.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This has not been conservative spending and I think the election results spoke for that. The hope is that we elect smart enough people to solve some of these problems without the American people having to suffer. I hope we have this time, but its not looking to bright nor has it been obviously for the past few years.

The point I was trying to make about 9/11 is this...it was like getting punched in the nose, if you get punched in the nose, your immeidate reaction is going to be to punch somebody else in the nose. If you can't get to the person who did punch you, the next closest thing will do. It might not be the smartest thing and you will probably not think it all the way through, but that will be most peoples reaction. This is why I feel that invading Iraq was a fairly popular idea at first. The problem was that no one including our elected officials considered the consequences.

-Teddy Roosevelt

Inactive Member imported_biggamesjames's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm not necessarily opposed to reinstating the draft...its a crazy world out there and extreme measures should not be taken off the table at this point. I feel like most americans have a false sense of security in that they think we are safer than we really are...if you travel outside the country a little you get a different perspective when you come back home.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well what we need to do in my opinion is raise the pay for our soilders dramatically, offer more and better retirement and investment options. This is one area where I could understand a tax increase if you knew without a doubt that this was where the money is going to. Better benefits, and better wages for our military will encourage an increase in enrollment which IMO would sizzle the need for a draft.

-Teddy Roosevelt

Inactive Member imported_biggamesjames's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

good point...i could go along with that. you are right there is not enough incentive to join the military and that should change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast