Thread: What do you think?

What do you think?

In the beginning I voted for President Bush because In my mind I thought he would be good for the job... but now I am having second thoughts. I do not fully understand the war but one thing is for certain... we have men and women losing their lives over there for nothing.. I mean we have accomplished absoloutly nothing over there.. well we did go in and bully around and get Sadam.. and hung him... for political gain. It said if you get out of line we will come in and kill your women and children and destroy your country and hang your ruler.... this is what it seems like to me. They do not want to change... to them they just wanted Saddam out of office.. and now they wish to establish a Theocracy... a Muslim nation... that is what they believe in and we cannot change that only God can. I just disagree 100% with this whole war thing... what do you think?

Re: What do you think?

I wonder where the cash promised to rebuild the nation will come from? How will we tell how to spend it fairly? These are the kind of questions that had to be answered before invading. 'Course, his term is about up so what does it really matter? Oh yeah, look at the lady running the House, that could make some think twice before jumping overboard again.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    I wonder where the cash promised to rebuild the nation will come from? How will we tell how to spend it fairly? These are the kind of questions that had to be answered before invading. 'Course, his term is about up so what does it really matter? Oh yeah, look at the lady running the House, that could make some think twice before jumping overboard again.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I am against a surge in troops and am now of the opinion that we should begin a withdrawl from Iraq as soon as rationally possiable. If the increase in troops happened 3 years ago this is a different war IMO and Bush is a different president.

Having said that, I will say this. A surge can very well work if the cards are in place and we have the right game plan and a little luck. We need to secure Bagdad once and for all and by all indications with a surge in troops this can be accomplished. We need to stabalize the oil money and divide it evenly throughout the country which can develop some sort economic stability. By securing Bagdad I feel that it will allow Iraq's new Constitution to be implanted and begin to do its job which will in turn provide some sort of political stability.

All of this can be done in theory, but the reality is that its a day late and dollar short. I have supported Bush throughout and will continue to, but a surge in troops is not wise and will break the back of our military. It may break the the country financially as well.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

-Teddy Roosevelt

[ QUOTE ]
    President Bush will tell a nation weary of war Wednesday night that he is sending 21,500 more Americans to Iraq "? arguing it has been a mistake not to commit larger numbers of U.S .... $6.8 billion cost
    Senior administration officials said 17,500 troops would go to Baghdad and 4,000 to the volatile Anbar province, with the first wave of troops expected to arrive in five days. Others will come in additional weeks, joining about 130,000 already in Iraq.

The officials said the cost of the troop increase would be around $5.6 billion. An additional $1.2 billion would finance rebuilding and jobs programs with the aim of cutting down on the supply of new recruits for militias.

The $6.8 billion will be added to

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't know the numbers, but we've done 20,000 before,"? Sen. Gordon Smith, an Oregon Republican, told CNN. "It has made no difference because the Iraqis whom we have trained have simply not shown up to the fight. This is their fight, it's not our fight."?

[/ QUOTE ] Will they never fight for themself? How do you tell which side in a civil conflict is to blame? Terror is one issue but two sides fighting is another. Good luck to the troops.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I voted for Bush also, both times. I am disappointed, to say the least, in the mess with Iraq. I say get our guys and gals out of there and let them kill one another. One dead fanatic is one less that we have to worry about.
    I'm getting to be an isolationist in my old age........ [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."