Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are peoples opinions of this?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: What are peoples opinions of this?

Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    As in how though? There's no official language as far as I know, do you mean the 2nd language by de facto?

And signs are defined by color and shape also, even when a message board is up, it has other signs leading up to it. My point was him declaring it's a "english speaking" state, when it's a matter of reading and writing, which a lot of "americans" have a problem with. Learning to read and write english, for anyone, is very, very hard...esp. someone who learned another language first and definitely harder than just speaking english.
    Not always does a message board have other signs leading up to it. More and more message boards are being placed on highways permanently for quicker info updates on wrecks, construction, and abductions. English is a complicated language but lets no forget about many Europeans who have learned English as a second or third language already, so its not like it is impossible. I admire anyone who comes to our country and works to become a citizen.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    Not always does a message board have other signs leading up to it. More and more message boards are being placed on highways permanently for quicker info updates on wrecks, construction, and abductions. English is a complicated language but lets no forget about many Europeans who have learned English as a second or third language already, so its not like it is impossible. I admire anyone who comes to our country and works to become a citizen.
    Wrecks I could see, those are thrown up pretty quick without signs. But construction usually has merge signs and whatnot up, the abduction ones don't affect your driving though. And no, it's definitely not impossible, but it's incredibly hard...that's for people that were born here, english is complicated and definitely for an adult to learn that's come over here. I'd like for everyone to come here legally too, but with all the red tape there is and how difficult it is to become a citizen...I'd jump a fence and swim a river too.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    Wrecks I could see, those are thrown up pretty quick without signs. But construction usually has merge signs and whatnot up, the abduction ones don't affect your driving though. And no, it's definitely not impossible, but it's incredibly hard...that's for people that were born here, english is complicated and definitely for an adult to learn that's come over here. I'd like for everyone to come here legally too, but with all the red tape there is and how difficult it is to become a citizen...I'd jump a fence and swim a river too.
    And if found out, you would deserve to be have your butt on the first form of transportation readily available to take you back where you come from, and should be aware of that.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I teach kids regularly who are learning English as a second language. The basics aren't very hard at all but past that they struggle. So, at most a law should require a minimum competency. As far as road signs go, most of em know what a road sign means by the color, shape or numbers on them. All that said, I am against any law requiring a Person to speak English (or any other language for that matter) in order to become a citizen.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Standard roads are easily learned by shapes or color, but that won't fly with digital signs.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Seriously though, how many digital signs do you actually see. Even in cities all they are used for that is practical is detours and a few tidbits of useless information to go with it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They are becoming more common and that trend will continue on major roads.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    They are becoming more common and that trend will continue on major roads.
    I'd say with the economy the way it is going, the info you find on digital signs will be regulated to the radio frequency you see posted on those signs 9 times out of 10...and eventually the signs will for the most part disappear.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We shall see, but I disagree.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Being honest, and it will seem odd since i float towards the left, but if you wanna become an american citizen, you should have to be able to at least understand basic English. Spanish is a required credit in lots of schools, so many American kids can speak very basic Spanish, I feel like the Citizenship Test should include some very basic English
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12