Thread: Sucks this was even attmpted to be blocked again, but a win!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sucks this was even attmpted to be blocked again, but a win!

Washington (CNN) -- A federal court has given the Obama administration the go-ahead to continue funding embryonic stem cell research.

The controversial 2-1 decision Friday is a victory for supporters of federally funded testing for a range of diseases and illnesses.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia lifted an injunction imposed last year by a federal judge, who said all embryonic stem cell research at the National Institutes of Health amounted to destruction of embryos, in violation of congressional spending laws.

Legislation passed in 1996 prohibits the use of taxpayer dollars in the creation or destruction of human embryos "for research purposes." Private money had been used to gather batches of the developing cells at U.S.-run labs. The current administration had broken with the Bush White House and issued rules in 2009 permitting those cells to be reproduced in controlled conditions and for work on them to move forward.

Obama officials have been at odds with many members of Congress over whether the the NIH research actually causes an embryo's destruction, as prohibited by the Dickey-Wicker Act.

Two scientists had brought a lawsuit to block further research. But the three-judge panel concluded in their 21-page ruling, "the plaintiffs are unlikely to prevail because Dickey-Wicker is ambiguous and the NIH seems reasonably to have concluded" that the law does not ban research using embryonic stem cells.

Appeals court lifts ban on federal funding for stem-cell research - CNN.com

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sucks this was even attmpted to be blocked again, but a win!

Im sure ive brought this up before but i wrote a paper in college on this and i never really understood the problem people have with it, these arent humanly concieved embryos they are ripping out of a womb. these are something else. Another good source of stem cells is in cord blood. Good idea to donate embilical cords if you have a baby. the blood is full of them and this could help SO many people. One thing I do NOT understand about it all though, is that I have read claims NOW to where there have never been any setbacks with the seamless integration of the cells, however when I wrote my paper there were different documented cases I found (and had backed up) where a few test subjects (yes they were people) went into extreme convulsions and later died of brain hemmhoraging (sp?) The paper I wrote actually got a little attention and opened up a lot of eyes to the more religious groups that I let read it, along with some of the scientific people who opposed it. At that time I didnt lean either way towards it because I never figured they would get anywhere with it. There is HUGE potential with it though. Guess we get the chance to find out now.
    Cant we all just get along?