Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Church

Do you have to go to church to go to Heaven?
    in the Bible, Jesus says the only way to his father is through him. So is church a necessary thing? Since it's only a place to get together to worship?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Church

If the opportunity is there, you should want to go if you are a true Christian. It has nothing to do with salvation, with whether or not you're going to Heaven, or what your rewards will be.
    Church is not just about worship; its about belonging, fellowship, working as a team to accomplish the same goals, its about sharing life experiences with one another and growing in strength and love. Church is about learning more about what God has done, what He is doing, and what He will do in the future.
    If you want to grow as a Christian, church attendance should be high on your priority list.
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree to a certain extent, however, I have attended several churches and one in particular for the previous 8 years and some of the behind the scenes stuff that I have witnessed and all the politics that are involved I could care not to see. There is normally more fueding and fighting between church members as there are in any organization. You have your own little "groups" in every church that just hang out with each other just like you were in high school again. I am not saying all churches are this way but all the ones I have attended and been able to see behind the scenes are that way.

IMHO I do not belive that you have to attend church to go to heaven.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My Dad doesn't attend church mainly for the reasons you mention. All of my years at home, he was a faithful church attendee. After so long, he had enough of the politics and behind the scene bickering and just quit going. I still believe my Dad is going to Heaven. If he don't make it, there's no use for me to even try! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So far I've seen some of the problems you mentioned in my church. Anytime man is involved you can bet there will be problems.
    But in the long run

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

church is defined as a gathering of people to worship. Also how do you know what a "true christian" should want to strive to do?
    In my opinion, I do not think one has to be a part of "organized religion" to grow as a "christian" or follower of faith. It's all your own personal relationship you have with Jesus.
    Isn't Jesus against the different denominations, etc?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If Jesus were "against" different denominations, who would do the work He has called His followers to do? I know more Christians who attend church than who don't, most of which don't pay much attention to the shingle hanging in front of the church describing it's particular denomination.

Quote:"Also how do you know what a "true christian" should want to strive to do?"
    Based on years of experience in observing Christians plus 30 years of my own Christian living.

Notice the original question was about attending church, not about attending "organized religion". There is a difference, as you yourself noted that church is all about worship, plus the other benefits I mentioned in my earlier post.
    But in the long run

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    If Jesus were "against" different denominations, who would do the work He has called His followers to do? I know more Christians who attend church than who don't, most of which don't pay much attention to the shingle hanging in front of the church describing it's particular denomination.

Quote:"Also how do you know what a "true christian" should want to strive to do?"
    Based on years of experience in observing Christians plus 30 years of my own Christian living.

Notice the original question was about attending church, not about attending "organized religion". There is a difference, as you yourself noted that church is all about worship, plus the other benefits I mentioned in my earlier post.

[/ QUOTE ]

VERY nice post.

I have been to many churches and felt uncomfortable with the people there. For whatever ever various reasons, it doesnt change how I feel or what I believe, it is at times like this that people mar things. Church or no church, the meaning and the message is what is important.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you believe the Bible, then read Hebrews chapter 10, with special emphasis on verse 25. You will see in just a few verses that it is very important to attend church. If it were not so, the Bible would have told us. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    But in the long run

It doesnt mention those who are in that church. Christians are told to forgive, my personal expierence has shown me that is not always the case. The definition of church can come in many variations, if it needs to be technical, I understand the sunday morning gatherings as the time to worship, I often have learned just as much from a living room discussion, weight room idealogical debate or a car ride home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast