Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Vatican: Non-Catholics 'wounded' by not recognizing pope

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) -- The Vatican on Tuesday said Christian denominations outside the Roman Catholic Church were not full churches of Jesus Christ.

A 16-page document, prepared by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which Pope Benedict used to head, described Christian Orthodox churches as true churches, but suffering from a "wound" since they do not recognize the primacy of the Pope.

But the document said the "wound is still more profound" in the Protestant denominations -- a view likely to further complicate relations with Protestants.

"Despite the fact that this teaching has created no little distress ... it is nevertheless difficult to see how the title of 'Church' could possibly be attributed to them," it said.

The Vatican text, which restates the controversial document "Dominus Iesus" issued by the then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger in 2000, said the Church wanted to stress this point because some Catholic theologians continued to misunderstand it.

Ratzinger was elected Pope in April 2005. The document is his second strong reaffirmation of Catholic tradition in four days, following a decree on Saturday restoring the old Latin Mass alongside the modern liturgy.

The document stressed that dialogue with other Christians remained "one of the priorities of the Catholic Church."

The document, issued by Benedict's successor in doctrinal matters, Cardinal William Levada, complemented the Latin Mass decree in aiming to correct what it called "erroneous or ambiguous" interpretations of the Second Vatican Council, which took place from 1962 to 1965.

Church modernizers interpreted the Council as a break from the past while conservatives, like Benedict, see it in continuity with 2,000 years of Catholic tradition.

The document said the Council's opening to other faiths recognized there were "many elements of sanctification and truth" in other Christian denominations, but stressed only Catholicism had all the elements to be Christ's Church fully.

The text refers to "ecclesial communities originating from the Reformation," a term used to refer to Protestants and Anglicans. Father Augustine Di Noia, under-secretary for the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, said the document did not alter the commitment for ecumenical dialogue, but aimed to assert Catholic identity in those talks.

"The Church is not backtracking on ecumenical commitment," Di Noia told Vatican radio.

"But, as you know, it is fundamental to any kind of dialogue that the participants are clear about their own identity. That is, dialogue cannot be an occasion to accommodate or soften what you actually understand yourself to be."
    You'll shoot your eye out.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Vatican: Non-Catholics 'wounded' by not recognizing pope

Such arrogant tripe. Where's Luther when you need him?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like the Pope thinks you should worship him and the catholic church instead of God.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What a pile of junk. The church that makes to confess to a man so they can ask forgiveness for you is saying others are not a full churches of Christ. HMMMMM.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elp6n</div><div class="ubbcode-body">VATICAN CITY (Reuters) -- The Vatican on Tuesday said Christian denominations outside the Roman Catholic Church were not full churches of Jesus Christ.

A 16-page document, prepared by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which Pope Benedict used to head, described Christian Orthodox churches as true churches, but suffering from a "wound" since they do not recognize the primacy of the Pope.

There are many denominations out there and if people are not careful they will begin to listen to the voices of deceptive men and be led astray. In my view the Catholic Church has a lot of teachings that does not line up with Bible teaching.

But the document said the "wound is still more profound" in the Protestant denominations -- a view likely to further complicate relations with Protestants.

"Despite the fact that this teaching has created no little distress ... it is nevertheless difficult to see how the title of 'Church' could possibly be attributed to them," it said.

The Vatican text, which restates the controversial document "Dominus Iesus" issued by the then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger in 2000, said the Church wanted to stress this point because some Catholic theologians continued to misunderstand it.

Ratzinger was elected Pope in April 2005. The document is his second strong reaffirmation of Catholic tradition in four days, following a decree on Saturday restoring the old Latin Mass alongside the modern liturgy.

The document stressed that dialogue with other Christians remained "one of the priorities of the Catholic Church."

The document, issued by Benedict's successor in doctrinal matters, Cardinal William Levada, complemented the Latin Mass decree in aiming to correct what it called "erroneous or ambiguous" interpretations of the Second Vatican Council, which took place from 1962 to 1965.

Church modernizers interpreted the Council as a break from the past while conservatives, like Benedict, see it in continuity with 2,000 years of Catholic tradition.

The document said the Council's opening to other faiths recognized there were "many elements of sanctification and truth" in other Christian denominations, but stressed only Catholicism had all the elements to be Christ's Church fully.

The text refers to "ecclesial communities originating from the Reformation," a term used to refer to Protestants and Anglicans. Father Augustine Di Noia, under-secretary for the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, said the document did not alter the commitment for ecumenical dialogue, but aimed to assert Catholic identity in those talks.

"The Church is not backtracking on ecumenical commitment," Di Noia told Vatican radio.

"But, as you know, it is fundamental to any kind of dialogue that the participants are clear about their own identity. That is, dialogue cannot be an occasion to accommodate or soften what you actually understand yourself to be."
    </div></div>

There are many denominations out there with one of them being the ROman Catholic Church. If you wil do a careful study of their beliefs and practices you possible come to the conclusion that they follow a lot of false teachings "according" to the Holy Bible.
    Will you ever rise up and fight for your God-given rights? History shows that evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't think that you could call them false teachings, but they are rituals. All churches in all denomonations have some rituals. The Roman Catholic Church is full of rituals as are the Lutherans, Methodists, Baptists, and Church of God, just to mention a few. Rituals give man a sense of belonging and of repentance. All-in-all, the rituals should give man a sense of being closer to GOD and Christ and it gives them the feeling that they are more in obedience to GOD'S wishes. These are how diverse Christianity's denominations have become. The early Lutheran Church, if I am not mistaken, worshipped GOD much in the same way the Catholic Church did then. All forms of Christianity have pastors, preachers, and evangelists in their respective forms. It is in our hearts as to how we worship the Lord. If rituals make one feel more comfortable and at ease with worship, then that is how you should worship.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: centennialdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think that you could call them false teachings, but they are rituals. All churches in all denomonations have some rituals. The Roman Catholic Church is full of rituals as are the Lutherans, Methodists, Baptists, and Church of God, just to mention a few. Rituals give man a sense of belonging and of repentance. All-in-all, the rituals should give man a sense of being closer to GOD and Christ and it gives them the feeling that they are more in obedience to GOD'S wishes. These are how diverse Christianity's denominations have become. The early Lutheran Church, if I am not mistaken, worshipped GOD much in the same way the Catholic Church did then. All forms of Christianity have pastors, preachers, and evangelists in their respective forms. It is in our hearts as to how we worship the Lord. If rituals make one feel more comfortable and at ease with worship, then that is how you should worship. </div></div>

Allow me to clarify, coming from a following of Christianity I believe it is fair to say that they are in fact false teachings.Since I believe and hold dear the Teachings of Jesus Christ as produced in the Holy Bible if something else is taught elsewhere that is against the Holy Bible teaching it is a false teaching. I understand where you are coming from with traditions or rituals, and that is true in some of the cases. No matter what denomination one is, we can only worship God in one way and that is in Spirit and in truth.
    Will you ever rise up and fight for your God-given rights? History shows that evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exactly, but, in Christianity, and you, being a Christian, must agree that rituals play an important part in our lives. The Bible says to repent with your heart and with your mouth, the Catholics just took the "mouth" part and ritualized it somewhat, with a confessional. The priest CAN NOT absolve you though, of any sin. That must be GOD who forgives you, not the priest. I have studied the Bible, too, and have come to firmly believe in my salvation as you have yours. I am, in no way, saying that anyone is wrong, or right(although, I do have strong thoughts on some denominations).

As in all religions/denominations, there is a spiritual leader, who in turn, voice what the followers should/should not believe. The Catholic Churck just believes that the pope has full autonomy on the teachings of Christianity, whereas, most others have deacons, elders, or other leaders to help set the course of teaching these rituals.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: centennialdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly, but, in Christianity, and you, being a Christian, must agree that rituals play an important part in our lives. The Bible says to repent with your heart and with your mouth, the Catholics just took the "mouth" part and ritualized it somewhat, with a confessional. The priest CAN NOT absolve you though, of any sin. That must be GOD who forgives you, not the priest. I have studied the Bible, too, and have come to firmly believe in my salvation as you have yours. I am, in no way, saying that anyone is wrong, or right(although, I do have strong thoughts on some denominations). </div></div>

Yes, most all denominations have some traditions that have nothing to do with Salvation.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like the Pope thinks you should worship him and the catholic church instead of God. </div></div>

Here is an excellent article about this , read it.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=43089

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast