Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I see...

rights being neglected and lawsuits on the way.

T-shirts worn by members of the Smith-Cotton High School band have been recalled by the school district because they contained images of evolution. The t-shirts featured an image of a monkey holding a brass instrument and progressing through various stages of evolution until eventually becoming a human.

?I was disappointed with the image on the shirt,? said Sherry Melby, a band parent who teaches in the district.
    ?I don?t think evolution should be associated with our school.? Assistant superintendent Brad Pollitt explained that the t-shirts were banned because they were imposing on religious views:

Though the shirts don?t violate the school?s dress code, Pollitt noted that the district is required by law to remain neutral on religion.

?If the shirts had said ?Brass Resurrections? and had a picture of Jesus on the cross, we would have done the same thing,? Pollitt said.

Law professor Jonathan Turley notes, ?Evolution is not a religious issue. Extremists want to make evolution into a religious question, but it is not."

Think Progress Missouri school district bans t-shirts for acknowledging evolution.

ODESSA, Texas ? The school board in Odessa, Texas (search), voted unanimously to add a Bible (search) class to its high school curriculum.

Hundreds of people, most of them supporters of the proposal, packed the board meeting Tuesday night. More than 6,000 area residents had signed a petition supporting the class.

Some residents, however, said the school board acted too quickly. Others said they feared a national constitutional fight.

Barring any hurdles, the class should be added to the curriculum in fall 2006 and taught as a history or literature course. The school board still must develop a curriculum, which board member Floy Hinson said should be open for public review.

The board had heard a presentation in March from Mike Johnson, a representative of the Greensboro, N.C.-based National Council on Bible Curriculum in Public Schools (search), who said that coursework designed by that organization is not about proselytizing or preaching.

But People for the American Way (search) and the American Civil Liberties union have criticized the council, saying its materials promote religion.

Johnson said students in the elective class would learn such things as the geography of the Middle East and the influence of the Bible on history and culture.

"How can students understand Leonardo da Vinci's `Last Supper' or Handel's `Messiah' if they don't understand the reference from which they came?" Johnson said. The group's Web site says its curriculum has received backing in 292 school districts in 35 states.

In Frankenmuth, Mich., a similar proposal led to a yearlong controversy before the school board voted in January not to offer such a course.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: I see...

IMHO I think that if one should be taught then the other should be taught as well and give the students and parents a choice as to which one they want to learn.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Then I want the Flying Spaghetti Monster given equal time as well, and Buddhism, and Islam and Shintao etc. Etc...see where I'm going with this? If you're going to give equal time to one, you got to give it to the rest...that's all assuming it even belongs there, which it doesn't in no way shape or form. Students have Sundays off, no need to bring it to school, parents already have that choice...that's what church, home schooling and private schools are for...that's their choice.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What if the student doesn't believe in evolution? Why should they have to learn it if it goes against their beliefs? No one forces someone that doesn't believe in church and God to go to church on Sundays or to learn about Christ. Whats good for one should be good for another. Students also have Saturdays off so I don't see your point there either. I am not saying that we should bring a preacher into the school to preach for an hour a day, I am saying that kids need to have an option. Parents should not have to home school or private school their children just because they want them to learn about the bible or about any religion. If they have a religion class in the schools, then they could teach about them all.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    Then I want the Flying Spaghetti Monster given equal time as well, and Buddhism, and Islam and Shintao etc. Etc...see where I'm going with this? If you're going to give equal time to one, you got to give it to the rest...that's all assuming it even belongs there, which it doesn't in no way shape or form. Students have Sundays off, no need to bring it to school, parents already have that choice...that's what church, home schooling and private schools are for...that's their choice.
    I have no problem with that as long as they teach Christianity also.
    crack is whack

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cosmo99 View Post
    What if the student doesn't believe in evolution? Why should they have to learn it if it goes against their beliefs? No one forces someone that doesn't believe in church and God to go to church on Sundays or to learn about Christ. Whats good for one should be good for another. Students also have Saturdays off so I don't see your point there either. I am not saying that we should bring a preacher into the school to preach for an hour a day, I am saying that kids need to have an option. Parents should not have to home school or private school their children just because they want them to learn about the bible or about any religion. If they have a religion class in the schools, then they could teach about them all.
    Evolution isn't a belief, it's fact and it's science, it's not part of any religion - or atheism. Every science class I've been in all throughout school when evolution was brought up, the teacher never once said anything about it refuting God or God at all. I meant they have Sundays off, to go to church. When everyone taxes pay for the public school, no religion can be taught. And I agree about a religion class, but that's a fine line as it is which can't show any bias by the teacher, nothing like the second story which a Christian Bible will be taught. That school will have numerous huge lawsuits to settle, as they should. If you teach one, you have to teach them all, which that is not possible...so just leave it out all together the way it should be.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Man your crazy if you think we came from monkeys.
    crack is whack

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nope I don't and neither does anyone that believes evolution is true. Always was a bigger fan of it anyway, even when i didn't believe it, still was more credible than us coming from dirt.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Can you prove that God didn't create evolution?
    crack is whack

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Monkeyhead I think that I am just gonna keep on thanking you!!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast