Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Free Thought Group forming in Norton

Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    Sort of throws the whole idea of church right out the door then too, doesn't it?
    Nope, we still believe and have faith.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by centennialdawg View Post
    Nope, we still believe and have faith.
    So? Btw "faith" isn't reserved for religion, you can have faith in anything, doesn't have to be some god. I don't get why a meeting like this is any less relevant than church, it would be greatly informative and extremely supportive.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can believe what you want that is your decision. We don't need your atheism shoved down our throats lol.
    crack is whack

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyhead View Post
    You can believe what you want that is your decision. We don't need your atheism shoved down our throats lol.
    The same can be said for any religion, but I digress.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I assuming there will be some sort of Kool-aid served at this event..... no?
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/redskins3.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/6a00d83451ba6469e200e54f0eaffb8833-.gif[/img]
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/unc1-1.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    So? Btw "faith" isn't reserved for religion, you can have faith in anything, doesn't have to be some god. I don't get why a meeting like this is any less relevant than church, it would be greatly informative and extremely supportive.
    Never said anything about them not having faith. Just that we still believe and have faith. But, food for thought, if this "free thought group" has faith, doesn't that defeat the purpose of being an atheist, or agnostic? I mean, if you don't have faith in God, but you do other things, as you so stated, then, aren't you losing sight of your "non-belief"? Please explain yourself on this, just so I might understand. And are you comparing this meeting to church? If so, then in a lot of people's eyes, this becomes sort of a religious thing doesn't it?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

because free thinking is "FREE".
    people go to church as a common bond, with whatever religion, whatever god, whatever denomination etc. You dont see Catholics going to Old Regular Baptist meetings.

To me an atheist and an agnostic is much along the lines of a Muslim and a Jew. (or any two religions, I chose those due to the similarity (belief in god) and the glaring difference (the god they believe in)
    Those are two very different ideas, with one thing (and thats a stretch) in common. Disbelief in GOD, however an agnostic with, some ... "proof" could change their mind, whatever proof that may be, to each person that would and could be diff. An atheist just says no, thats it. Many say "organized religion" is the problem, a united atheist group is laughable to me, its like the band "the lone rangers" if you can understand what that means.

Many times people who dont believe in god are much like my beloved metal bands, in the sense "hey we dont like the rules that come with your god". I get it, but then you have people like the Norwegian bands and their beliefs. "Hey we dont want your beliefs, we had ours..."

But its whatever.
    Nothing but the process is infinite
    Eternal, endless, indefinite

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

But, food for thought, if this "free thought group" has faith, doesn't that defeat the purpose of being an atheist, or agnostic? I mean, if you don't have faith in God, but you do other things, as you so stated, then, aren't you losing sight of your "non-belief"?
    It's not "non-belief" in anything/everything, it's non-belief in religion and the existence of a God or gods. That's where you're lost in translation.

And are you comparing this meeting to church? If so, then in a lot of people's eyes, this becomes sort of a religious thing doesn't it?
    Not speaking for R13, but I don't compare this to church. I compare this moreso to a town hall type of meeting, a group/organization like a civic league or something before I'd compare it to church. I know this is going to sound messed up, but it takes a lot of faith to believe in nothing, sometimes more than to believe in something. I think an organization like this would help people who don't believe strengthen their non-belief, to have a common bond with someone who doesn't believe as well...so they don't feel so alone.

It's easy to get instant-gratification if you believe in God or a particular religion--pick a church and go, it's there for the taking. It's a lot harder to get support and reinforcement if you don't believe in a God or gods, as there aren't a lot of formal organizations that focus on that--especially in this area.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milk3 View Post
    I assuming there will be some sort of Kool-aid served at this event..... no?
    No kool-aid, local churches go through it pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by centennialdawg View Post
    Never said anything about them not having faith. Just that we still believe and have faith. But, food for thought, if this "free thought group" has faith, doesn't that defeat the purpose of being an atheist, or agnostic? I mean, if you don't have faith in God, but you do other things, as you so stated, then, aren't you losing sight of your "non-belief"? Please explain yourself on this, just so I might understand. And are you comparing this meeting to church? If so, then in a lot of people's eyes, this becomes sort of a religious thing doesn't it?
    Like I said, faith doesn't equal God, so no having faith in something doesn't defeat the purpose. I have faith in myself, my family, my friends in different things...I can believe in myself, it doesn't have to be a God, but it's associated with god often.

From what you say, it seems as though you think we just don't believe in a god for just the sake of not believing in a god, we do because we don't think there is one...we believe in many things, just not a god. There was that quote "We're both the same, I just believe in one fewer God than you" and then asks why you don't believe in all of the other gods in the world, then you'll know why we don't believe in yours.

I'm not saying it is church, but it's very similar. Both are a gathering of people with common beliefs to talk about those beliefs, that's all church is, whether people believe it or not.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Some fella one time once wrote 'my own mind is my own church'

people should spend less time debating which is right, my church, your church or no church and focus more how it affects or is it effect, anyway that single person. Atheist, Hindu, Scientologist or Member of the Holy Altar of Kelly Clarkson, letting someone else sway you in your belief is a tragedy.
    Nothing but the process is infinite
    Eternal, endless, indefinite

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast