Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Surprising poll, but good...

I wonder how it would be if it were a poll about a real mosque in one particular community, less of a hypothetical question. But liking this!

(CNN) ? Would you be "okay" with a mosque in your community?

According to a new national poll, most Americans say yes.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Thursday found 69 percent of Americans would be "okay" with a mosque in their area while 28 percent would not.

But there are big differences depending on where you live. Half of rural Southerners say they disapprove of a mosque in their neighborhood, while 42 percent say they would be "okay" with it. That rises to roughly three-quarters among those who live in cities and suburbs.

According to the American Civil Liberties Union, anti-mosque activity across the country, ranging from vandalism to lawsuits, has occurred in 21 states over the past five years.

Positive views of Muslim Americans are on the rise since 2002, according to the new poll, which found 46 percent of all Americans have a favorable view of American Muslims today, and 26 percent say they have an unfavorable view.

"Overall, positive views of American Muslims have risen since 2002, when memories of 9/11 were still fresh in most Americans' minds," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "In 2002, as the first anniversary of the 9/11 attacks approached, only 39 percent of all Americans said they had a favorable view of Muslims."

Americans in the South and rural communities are far less likely to have a favorable view of American Muslims, just 32 percent. While 31 percent of rural Southerners say they have an unfavorable opinion of American Muslims, 37 percent say they don't know enough to have an opinion.

When it comes to attitudes towards the Islamic faith, American opinions haven't changed much.
    "In 2002, 28 percent of all Americans had a favorable view of Islam and 33 percent feel that way today," Holland says.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey was conducted March 11-13, with 1,023 people questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...y/#more-151443

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Surprising poll, but good...

Curious....Why would an agnostic, who constantly says the world is better off without religion say this is a good thing?

Wouldn't it be logical for you to say this is a bad thing? Wouldn't it be better, in your agnostic thinking, if Americans said a Mosque is a bad thing because it promotes religion?

Im just a little confused on what you really stand for. One day it's religion has caused every evil thing in history. And the next, its Muslims building a mosque is a good thing.

The more I read from you, the more I think your beef isn't so much with religion as it is with Christianity. Always bad things about Christianity, but always in defense of Muslims.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Surprising poll, but good...

Lol. Some wonderful logic right there.

Religion isn't going to disappear everywhere and definitely not going to die down any significant amount while I'm alive. So we all have to live together and get along, that's not possible with some unfairly discriminating against each other based on their religion. A new church opens up where I live, I don't go protest or have some insane notion this is fundamental extremists plopping down in the neighborhood...most agnostics/atheist don't. Can we say that about Christians, which it just says Americans(so many are included in this), if a mosque moves into their area? Nope, they get vandalized and/or protested with many believing it's going to be some terrorist breeding ground.

Yeah, I think the world would be better without religion, I believe it 100%. That's not going to happen though, I get that and I personally don't care whatever someone believes - said that thousands of times, it's the attempt to inject it where it's not needed/warranted is what I have a problem with, some guy going to a church a thousand miles away on sunday will never effect me or anyone. But bringing churches into a public schools and such will. Anyway, I don't nor anyone I know thinks with when a FWB church moves in it's Westboro's new complex. That's not fair, nor is it when a mosque moves in is it the Taliban opening shop here in Coeburn, that's not fair either. So that's why I seen this as positive considering all of the hostility towards mosques that's opened up and muslims in general.

Obviously you didn't think this one all the way through and yes, I do rail against Christianity a lot...but where do I live, what religion do I and will have to deal with if I live here, what religion have I experienced before? Oh yeah, that's Christianity. I don't talk about other religions as much because they do not and probably will not have as much effect on me. Explained that a million times, though some believe I'm here to give equal time to every side.

I in general take up for minority groups, they're a minority for a reason and get treated unfairly. I'll be posting another thread that will give another example of how we treaat this group, like we do many other groups.