Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Would Jesus accept evolution?

Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    This isn't a religious issue, evolution isn't, but that's where the problem comes in with the "you're not a true christian if you believe this" no matter how common sense and logical it is. One of my biggest problems with religion, it doesn't let you think for yourselves and hinders intellect.
    if it isnt a religious issue then why does your title say Would Jesus accept evolution? haha wow dude........
    Cant we all just get along?

Inactive Member collegetrumpet2010's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lmao, I don't doubt it, but I guess that's why I accept blatantly obvious things like this and don't reject it because it doesn't go hand in hand with some incredibly old book full of contradictions and fallacies.
    You just proved my point. You're no better than the people who reject evolution because they don't think it goes hand in hand with the Bible. At the first sign of disagreement with somebody you're quick to put them down and say that they're stupid, ignorant, or uneducated.

With the attitude that you're always correct without leaving room for people to disagree, you will not get very far in life nor will you get very far in your career. With a careerin politics, you might want to work on your rhetoric and debate skills. Nobody wants to debate with someone who acts like they have all the answers and that anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

If you were reading most people's replies in this thread, which you obviously weren't, you won't find many people, if anybody, who actually rejected evolution. Some of us were saying that evolution and the Bible can coexist. You proceeded to act like people were stupid for not sharing your beliefs. Not everybody is going to agree with you. Accept that. Get over it and just grow up.

And if people do not accept evolution, that's their prerogative. No matter how stupid you think they are, that is their decision. They reject evolution because of faith. I explained what faith is. If people use faith to reject evolution, you can't touch them.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by collegetrumpet2010 View Post
    And if people do not accept evolution, that's their prerogative. No matter how stupid you think they are, that is their decision. They reject evolution because of faith. I explained what faith is. If people use faith to reject evolution, you can't touch them.
    I was with you on the other 98% of your post all the way--until that bolded part above.

If it's a belief and you choose not to believe in evolution b/c you don't theologically believe in it, sure--there's no changing your mind. However, if you're going to get into a fact-based discussion regarding evolution with someone like R13 who believes in it and doesn't believe in the religious faith that you do, then it becomes a purely fact-based discussion.

At that point, either discuss the facts w/o claiming faith, or extract yourself from the discussion if you don't want to talk science.

That being said--R13 shouldn't have posted it here if he wanted to discuss the facts of evolution w/o mixing religion into it. This being the Religion Board and all, that's entirely valid in the discussion as it pertains to religion. To complain about it being brought up is short-sided on his part. It's pretty dumb to show up on a Religion Board expecting to discuss something like evolution w/o expecting religion to be injected into it.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoeburnCane View Post
    It's pretty dumb to show up on a Religion Board expecting to discuss something like evolution w/o expecting religion to be injected into it.
    And yet, that is exactly what he's going for. He wants you to be offended, bring up your faith, discuss your beliefs...so that he can call you and idiot and incapable of free thought because it doesn't align with what he calls fact.

What he doesn't realize is that to a person of faith, God is FACT.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    What he doesn't realize is that to a person of faith, God is FACT.
    As altruistic and amen-generating from the back pew as that statement is, when discussing a scientific issue--God isn't fact. He can't be proven scientifically. I'm not being a contrarian for the sake of it--just pointing out the logic at work.

The discussion does indeed have religion injected into it given the subject line and the article's content, though. That was R13's first mistake. But--as has been said, it's his take on it. Just because he can't see all sides of it doesn't make him an idiot, just a poor judge of the situation w/o any foresight to what the discussion would degrade into once he posted it on a RELIGION board.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Show me where I called any of you stupid for what you believe, I'm curious to see them. I see two posts claiming that I did, but don't recall it, hell don't even remember having that many exchanges with these two posters recently anyway...and definitely nothing on this subject to where I would even have a chance to say anything like that. Because I don't chalk every subject up to "well there's two sides, no one is wrong" when that's not the case and a lame excuse to admit you're actually wrong doesn't mean any of that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    if it isnt a religious issue then why does your title say Would Jesus accept evolution? haha wow dude........
    Huhh? Were my arguments from a religious standpoint? No they weren't, did you even read the OP? It was an article explaining that since christianity is a religion that claims it's about about truth and evolution is fact, why do they still refuse to accept it? Apparently a few of you all missed that, none of my arguments are from a religious standpoint, so where are you all getting I'm mixing it in with it? Talking about the others sides attempt to connect it with religion and not accepting it on religion, wasn't arguing anything from a religious standpoint about evolution, the whole argument is that it's not a religious debate and people shouldn't reject it because of it.

And where in the hell was the complaining about posters talking about religion? I never once did, I obviously posted it on this board for a reason - where else would I, esp when that's the name of the article? I was talking about the debate as a whole, not the exhange on this forum in this thread, really don't know how it was even taken that way. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by collegetrumpet2010 View Post
    You just proved my point. You're no better than the people who reject evolution because they don't think it goes hand in hand with the Bible. At the first sign of disagreement with somebody you're quick to put them down and say that they're stupid, ignorant, or uneducated.

With the attitude that you're always correct without leaving room for people to disagree, you will not get very far in life nor will you get very far in your career. With a careerin politics, you might want to work on your rhetoric and debate skills. Nobody wants to debate with someone who acts like they have all the answers and that anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

If you were reading most people's replies in this thread, which you obviously weren't, you won't find many people, if anybody, who actually rejected evolution. Some of us were saying that evolution and the Bible can coexist. You proceeded to act like people were stupid for not sharing your beliefs. Not everybody is going to agree with you. Accept that. Get over it and just grow up.

Again, where was this said? It wasn't.

Doesn't look like you know how debating works, that's exactly how you should debate - presenting facts and let them speak, not calling it a draw just so everyone's ego doesn't take a hit and their feelings aren't hurt. I'm not explaining the whole "you think you know everything" shit for the millionth time, got old months ago...but again, pretty sure you miss the point of debating with that last line.

Actually, it's the opposite, from threads in the past...I know for a fact several reject it on here. The one post in this thread about it rejected it IMO. Claiming there was a missing link that hasn't been found is to me is casting major doubt and giving excuses to not accept it. It's a forum btw, with that logic no one should ever post anything since not everyone is going to agree, then what the hell is the purpose of a forum? This place has gotten so boring, but still you're complaining about a thread that actually has some exchanges. I get that it's not even about that, it's just things are said that you don't like so it's "just grow up and stop". Again, a FORUM.

And that's bull, that's hiding behind your religion with the "oh it's faith, can't argue with that". Sorry, doesn't work that way. I see it as manning up and explaining why(which I'm guessing there is no logical reason why that's why it's used) you believe that way in situations like this if they are going to talk about it...can't spout off a bunch of stuff and then when you're called out on it fall back on that excuse.

And what is meant by "co-existing"? Everytime I have heard that used, it's an excuse to bring creastionism into classrooms. Really don't even know what else someone is talking about when they say that. And the bible really doesn't jell that well with it either, these young-earther creastionists believe the way they do for a reason...there's support for it in that book, but it definitely doesn't match up with actual facts.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Again, this is about whether Jesus accept evolution, not a debate on one's faith, or your lack of faith. Like I said, The Bible, in my belief, does support evolution. I gave two perfectly good examples of where I believe The Bible does support evolution.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by centennialdawg View Post
    Like I said, The Bible, in my belief, does support evolution. I gave two perfectly good examples of where I believe The Bible does support evolution.
    and AGAIN, he only read what he wanted to from your post and decided to ignore what you said just to try to turn it into a pissing contest.

once again, if you didnt want this to be a religious issue you shouldnt have posted in on a religious forum, thats purely ignorant, APPARENTLY YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DEBATING OR HOW IT WORKS. i can back that up with facts, your title says Would Jesus accept evolution, Jesus died for your sins and mine, thats fact. I cant prove that he rose from the grave, but you should still respect the man enough not to try to deface him at every chance you get. YOU turned this into a religious debate when you posted it here, thats a fact, thats what you wanted to do, thats a fact. Another fact is that you like to ruffle feathers, I dont know why that you do, but you do. YOU dont know what you are, you have claimed to be atheist, and agnostic at the same time in different portions of this forum clearly claiming to be an atheist when you backed up an article with WE* (meaning myself and these atheists) then trying to say ooops i meant we because im agnostic and figured id throw myself in there anyway. <---- laughable, make up your mind. I have no and I mean NO cares of what religion (or lack of religion) that people follow. I DO however think its bullshit that you always claim that Christians are trying to force religion down others throats, yet you get on here every day and try to disprove it. WHO is trying to force beliefs here R13? YOu post shit like this just to piss off shooter and whoever else has a strong Christian belief, then try to defend yourself when they say something about it?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

oh and by the way, saying that belief in religion hinders intellect is calling people who follow religion stupid, just to get that fact out of the way too. If you would have said hinders expanding your education, or hinders insight then you wouldnt have just called billions of people in the world stupid.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Show me where I called any of you stupid for what you believe, I'm curious to see them.
    HERE...your backhanded jab.

One of my biggest problems with religion, it doesn't let you think for yourselves and hinders intellect.
    I'd say that calling someone stupid.

As altruistic and amen-generating from the back pew as that statement is, when discussing a scientific issue--God isn't fact. He can't be proven scientifically. I'm not being a contrarian for the sake of it--just pointing out the logic at work.
    Seriously man, I said to a person of faith, God is fact. This is the religion forum, and he did ask the question "Would Jesus accept evolution?". That, to me, asks a Christian, who believes God is fact, the question.

The discussion does indeed have religion injected into it given the subject line and the article's content, though. That was R13's first mistake. But--as has been said, it's his take on it.
    Noone here debates that is his take on the subject.

Just because he can't see all sides of it doesn't make him an idiot, just a poor judge of the situation w/o any foresight to what the discussion would degrade into once he posted it on a RELIGION board.
    Ahhh, theres where you underestimate r13. He has all the judgement and foresight, just not the kind you and I have. He WANTS the discussion to "degrade" ,as you so condescendingly put it, into a religious conversation simply so he can state that he has scientific fact, and you have only faith, so he must be right, and you must not be able to "think for yourself".
    Therefore your left with Christians,and all religious people, on this board left with the choice of ignoring him or giving in to our emotions and defending the thing we believe in, and our own intellect...that he claims we are hindered in.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast