Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Jump Stop

Albert, you make a good point but if you read some of the comments, the 'adjustment' is the problem. Players/coaches can adjust IF things are consistent. I dont even mean each game, obviously some officials are going to have a greater tendancy to call certain things or notice certain things more than others. Its the changing from one half to another or from one end to another that make that a challenge.

If someone doesn't call handchecking all night on one end, its kind of stupid to go to the other end and call it. Its also extremely stupid to go to the other end and call 3 fouls with 1:30 to go because before that the fouls were 8 to 1.

I think sometimes an official realizes he hasn't called much or maybe let more go on one end and sees the fouls as 8-1 and wants to make it look better, so less complaining is done because it ends up 8-4 or 8-5 on fouls. I appreciate the attempt, I mean you very seldom see one team commit 8 times the amount of fouls another team does, but if you wait till the very end to try and even up, it doesn't help the game situation 99% of the time.

I actually hope that the discussion of calls, and the issues/complaints that most people have, and the use of this forum in particular can help improve things. People can air their gripes a bit, and it gives officials a chance to look at what people are complaining about and try to determine if they are perhaps wrong or messing up. It also gives the officials a way to communicate some calls that people are confused about.

Most of the people who are fairly passionate know most of the rules, or at least generally. Sure you'll hear someone from the crowd yelling call a walk the entire night (even when the team they are wanting to win has the ball and obviously they dont know what a walk is) but I think most people realize that sometimes an official may not have the angle that a fan has.

I forget who said it but there was never a more truthful statement that officials should be the invisible part of the game. A game should never be 'about the officials'.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    One quick note, it is a travel if the player lifts the pivot before the ball leaves the hand not touch the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

so tell me how the [censored] that even makes sense, if you shoot the ball or pass the ball then the ball is leaving your hands, and you said earlier that was ok...but if you try to dribble (but it's not the contact with the floor but rather the ball leaving your hand) then that is not ok? maybe its just me but that doesnt make any god dang sense
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I may be wrong but I THINK he means that it would be a Walk to pickup your Pivot foot in any situation other than a shot or a Pass (meaning that the replanting pivot foot rule is not covered by a player taking someone off the dribble)

If I am wrong Albert please clarify

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thatd be ok if they made the call when the ball hit the ground, but if its simply the ball leaving the hand then how do you know if youre throwing a bounce pass to your teammate or dribbling?
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good point.....I assume it would be the Refs opinion as to what the guy was trying to do

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

im not too much on calls that are made when the ref decides what the player was trying to do

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Inactive Member imported_Rocket Scientist's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    im not too much on calls that are made when the ref decides what the player was trying to do

[/ QUOTE ]

The pivot foot MAY NOT be lifted before the ball is RELEASED to start a dribble. (Rule 4.43.3c) This is straight out of 2006-2007 NFHS Rule Book.

The rule says nothing about the ball touching the floor on a dribble.

If the player is SHOOTING or PASSING the ball, the pivot can be lifted with NO VIOLATION. If the player is starting a DRIBBLE and lifts the pivot BEFORE the ball leaves the players hand, it is traveling. That's the rule as best I can describe it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yeah i got that...im saying what if he is making a bounce pass to a teammate close to him...the ref could think it was to start a dribble and blow the whistle which would be the wrong call...it's just a gay rule

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is why it is so important to have a patient whistle. That way there is no antisipation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123