Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Jump Stop

that makes no sense if you can lift it and do nothing (or essentially spin around on your "new" pivot foot) but yet you can't lift it before the ball hits the ground on a drive the bucket
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Could it be because generally a classic jump stop is taken off the dribble? Since I do not officiate bball, I don't know the terminology around some of the rules, but is it only considered a "jump stop" when dribbling. Grabbing a rebound and coming down simultaneously with both feet isn't a jump stop is it?
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nevermind. Did google the fact that a jump stop can happen when receiving a pass. I just don't classically think of it in the same manner as I do when someone drives into the lane and performers a jump stop off of the dribble.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yeah im talking about when you receive a pass and establish a pivot foot, then decide to drive
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I understand. My feeble mind thinks too much of the "classic" jump stop than coming from a screen and receiving the pass on a jump stop.

Once you establish a pivot foot, pick it up and see if the other team doesn't get the ball. You can move one foot but not both, try it in a game.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If it is called by rule, you can lift it. Its when it touches the floor again when the violation occurs. This is one of those rules that is misunderstood. Its similar to someone diving for a ball and then they slide 10 feet with the ball. Some officials call it, and some dont. Rule states its not a walk. Rule book backs up what I stated. Not a walk in either scenario.

Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    Some officials call it, and some dont. Rule states its not a walk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that there will always be mistakes as refs are only human but can/should be done to get ALL refs calling by the rulebook and not there interpatation of what they think the rule SHOULD be?

If we can answer that question I THINK it would go along way to adressing most folks beef with Refs in Basketball season.

Inactive Member imported_Rocket Scientist's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    that makes no sense if you can lift it and do nothing (or essentially spin around on your "new" pivot foot) but yet you can't lift it before the ball hits the ground on a drive the bucket

[/ QUOTE ]
    One quick note, it is a travel if the player lifts the pivot before the ball leaves the hand not touch the floor.

A lot of fans need to understand that the "Rule" is not what the official has an opinion on, it is the officials judgement as to whether the "Rule" has been violated. Good coaches and good players automatically adjust within the first few minutes of a game as to how the officials are going to call. Officials are not perfect. We make mistakes and learn from them. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beer1.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    If it is called by rule, you can lift it. Its when it touches the floor again when the violation occurs. This is one of those rules that is misunderstood. Its similar to someone diving for a ball and then they slide 10 feet with the ball. Some officials call it, and some dont. Rule states its not a walk. Rule book backs up what I stated. Not a walk in either scenario.

[/ QUOTE ] Didn't disagree with you, just said to try it in a game. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast