Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Why

I don't know how much college basketball people watches but I watch a lot. I think of the best officials call college basketball. It is best not to anticipate any call in any sport because when you start doing this then you lose an edge. It can happen to the best of us though.
    [url="http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg"]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg[/url]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree how can you call a foul when the defender is standing straight up and the call a foul on him. <font color="blue"> </font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Because a lot of time the defender isn't truly straight up, or holding the position. A lot of times they bring hands down onto the offensive player to deflect the shot.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Inactive Member
    Why

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The fans for the defensive team says he is straight up..
    The fans for the offensive team says there was contact made.

The fans for the defensive team says it was a walk.
    The fans from the offensive team said he never lifted his pivot foot.
    Well you get were I'm going with this.. Most of the time fans only see what they want to see. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    [img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/rayscheer159/rolltide.jpg[/img]

Inactive Member imported_Rocket Scientist's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    The fans for the defensive team says he is straight up..
    The fans for the offensive team says there was contact made.

The fans for the defensive team says it was a walk.
    The fans from the offensive team said he never lifted his pivot foot.
    Well you get were I'm going with this.. Most of the time fans only see what they want to see. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="blue"> </font>

All of the fellow officials know exactly what you are saying. We have 20 feet, 20 hands, and 10 bodies that we have to know EVERYTHING about during EVERY second of a game. Just once, I would love to put the "howler monkey" fans on the floor with a whistle and let the officials have pot shots at them.

Inactive Member Slobber Knocker's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Our association had a great idea. In middle school, some schools at the start of the game play a "fifth quarter" for the less talented players or the ones that do not get to play. What we do is when the parents come in and buy their tickets we had out numbered tickets as well. Before the start of the game, the announcer calls out two numbers. If these two numbers match your ticket, you come down to claim your "prize." What prize you ask? The winning numbers get to ref the fifth quarter game. Now these people have a split second to make the call, get it right, signal, watch for timeouts being called, and substitute if needed.
    We the officials get to sit in the stands and bark, curse, yell, scream, and cry about every call that is made or not made. We get to act just as foolish as you the fans do about calls. We get to sit in the stands and say how "you need glasses, that's a home team call, the fouls are uneven, you got to even the calls up, look at the score board, call three seconds, call five seconds, call ten seconds, that's a walk, that's a carry, moving screen!"
    Right or wrong we do not let up! This being the hardest sport to officate, maybe then you guys can truely see what a basketball official goes through.
    I do admit however that some officials in this area that are very unprofessional but no official that I have witnessed has EVER blantently called a wrong call.
    This idea was struck down because even the less talented players in middle school, jv, the majority of the LPD high school teams, deserve the same professionalism as the truely talented teams do.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's it in a nutshell. 99% of fans see it the way they want to see it. People can argue this Ref did this, this ref did that but it really comes down to what you want. Every now and then you will here somebody that just by the verbage he or she uses that they know what they are talking about. I've always thought fans get caught up in the feeding frenzy. The louder and wilder it gets the the more people join in. What fans hate worse than anything when things aren't going there way is a smiling Ref. I love to give a smile every now and then just to make sure they know that I am having a good time.
    Call it like you see it

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

And most of the time the ref never sees any of it seriously terrible job guys

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Most officials do take it seriously I know I do, but you can still have fun at the same time.
    Call it like you see it

Inactive Member
    Why

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Since you wrote the rule book. I'll post when it`s time for the meetings and tests for next year. See ya there [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beer1.gif[/img]
    [img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/rayscheer159/rolltide.jpg[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12