Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why

Why

In the LPD, 99.9% of the time, when some has a shot blocked is a foul called?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Why

I do not officiate basketball on the high school level, but normally, there is body contact on most blocks on the high school level. Also some arm action too.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Inactive Member imported_UKCats1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have asked this question of some friends that call on the D1 and D2 level and they tell me that quite often spectators do not look at the body but at the ball. Officials are taught to look from the waist up and when two players are going up where most fans just see action on the ball.
    [url="http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg"]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg[/url]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Its funny, in the past, Clintwood got 95% of our blocks called as a foul. When you would ask the official, if you got one who would answer, they would say it was lower body. This year, it seems like when we have asked,and mentioned lower body being plowed over, they act like that doesn't matter. Kind of one of the issues of consistency that annoys me [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Especially since our big guy in the middle in the past were literally "big", while now our big guy is "tall". So he gets plowed by some of the healthier ones
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think that there is a problem with consistency in all sports right now. If a game is called consistent then the fans and coaches usually have little problem with what is going on but if something happens on one end and gets called then the same thing happens on the other and there is a no call then that is a problem. Basketball is a game that is really fast and is really tough to officiate in my book. Sometimes those in the stands have a better view than those on the floor because the official may not be in position or may be slow getting up and down the court.
    [url="http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg"]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg[/url]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Agree with that and of course, one side tends to look more

From what I think was meant originally is it appears a lot of the time, at least to me and many others I've spoke to (and not just from Clintwood believe it or not *lol*) that the fouls on blocks are 'almost anticipated and called' as opposed to them happening and being called, if that makes sense.

As far as I know, you can instruct a kid to stand there, extend their hands and block the shot. I know I've heard our coaches several times tell them to exaggerate backwards even to try to avoid having the person jump into them and generate the call (something I'm sure all do).

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Im not a normal fan and I do watch the body. Its just sad to see a player punished for good defense.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like what someone said earlier about anticipating the foul. Instead of anticipating the foul you should anticipate a great play and let the computer in your head do a quick replay then make the call.

Now that I agree with the anticipation. I think thats one of the biggest problems.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When you see that call made on a great block, 99% of the time the ref anticipated the foul. I've noticed a few calls like that this year, and I've seen a lot of good blocks whistled. Sadly its a part of the game, and frustrating for players and fans alike.
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast