Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Baseball Quiz

Lets see how many people can get these baseball questions right. I will post the official answers in a couple of days.

In each of the following, you are given a situation and at least two possible answers. You are to decide which answer or answers are correct for NFHS, NCAA or pro rules, which might vary.

1. When the top of the fifth inning ends, the visiting coach comes out to the mound to confer with his pitcher as the pitcher warms up. When it's time for the bottom of the fifth to start, the coach is still on the mound. The plate umpire yells, "Let's go, coach," but the coach does not leave.

a. A conference/trip may be charged.
    b. A ball is called.
    c. The coach is ejected.
    d. A warning may be given.
    e. A warning must be given before a conference/trip is charged.

2. With a runner on second and one out, B1 hits a high fly to right-center. R2 tags and attempts to advance to third. F8's throw skips past F5 and hits the third-base coach, who attempts to avoid the ball. The ball deflects off the coach and goes into the stands.

a. The play stands.
    b. The play stands only if the coach was in his box.
    c. R2 is out.
    d. R2 must return to second.
    e. R2 is held at third.

3. From the windup, F1 begins to bring his hands up, as in a windup, then steps back off the rubber with his pivot foot. He then throws to third in an attempt to pick off R3.

a. Legal play.
    b. Balk.

4. With a runner on first and one out, B1 bunts down the first-base line. F3, who charges, fields the ball and stands on the foul line to tag B1. Seeing he will be out, B1 decides to retreat to home to possibly give R1 the opportunity to make it to third.

a. Legal.
    b. B1 is declared out for running the bases in reverse order.
    c. The ball is immediately dead.
    d. The ball remains live.

5. Runner on first base. As F1 prepares to deliver, B1 steps completely out of the batter's box. F1 stops his delivery.

a. Balk; R1 is awarded second.
    b. No balk; a strike is called on B1.
    c. No balk; that is a "do-over."
    d. B1 is automatically ejected.

[url="http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg"]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg[/url]

Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Baseball Quiz

Baseball more than any other sport leaves a great deal to the Umps diserision

1)A conference could be called however the Ump could warn the coach however I am sure some would consider the "Lets go Coach" the warning

2)A coach in the box would be considered part of the playing field so the ball would most likely be considered a wild through meaning the Ump could assign 2 bases meaning that the runner could be awarded home

3)It is a league play so long as the pitchers natural delivery motion is NOT started after the pitcher enters the windup if it is the Pitcher MUST deliver the ball or be called for a balk

4)Not sure however I don't THINK a player has to advance up the base path I will have to look that one up.

5)Easy one when the pitcher is on the rubber and the Batter is set in the box The ball is Live until the Ump calls time. A time out can not be called after the pitcher started his delivery SO in that situation it would HAVE to be a BAlk

Inactive Member imported_UKCats1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Baseball Quiz

Here are the answers to the quiz.

1 - NFHS - a, d (3.4.1H); NCAA, pro - e (NCAA interp, pro interp)

2 - All - a (NFHS 3-2-3,3.2.3; NCAA 8-3j; pro 5.08)

3 - All - b (NFHS 6-1-2, 6-2-4d, 6-2-5; NCAA 9-1a2; pro 8.01a, 8.05g)

4 - All - a, d (NFHS 8-4-2n; NCAA 8-5n; pro 7.08i)

5 - NFHS - b (6-2-4d Nt, 7-3-1); NCAA, pro - c (NCAA 9-3g AR; pro 6.02b Cmt 6)
    [url="http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg"]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg[/url]