Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Basketball Quiz

1. Situation: Team A is inbounding the ball from the baseline. In an attempt to throw a length of court pass, Team A throws the ball through the opposite baseline. The ball has touched no player, no backboard or rim or even the floor in bounds. Where will the ball be awarded to Team B.

1. At the spot where Team A attempted to inbound the ball
    2. At the six second line on the right side
    3. At the point where the ball went out of bounds
    4. At the six second line on the left side

2. At what point during a two-shot free throw may a substitute enter the game?

1. Only after a made second shot
    2. Before the first shot
    3. Between the first and second shots
    4. As soon as the official approaches the scorer's table

3. What was the largest jersey number that a player had in 2005?

1. 75
    2. 85
    3. 45
    4. 91

4. Team A deflects a pass out of bounds (and in the backcourt) through the baseline of Team B. After being handed the ball from the official, a player from Team B runs down the baseline to get a better passing angle. The official calls a traveling violation. Is this the correct decision?

Yes
    No

5. While taking the ball out under their own basket, a player from Team A passes the ball directly to a teammate in the backcourt. The official calls a backcourt violation. Is this the correct call?

Yes
    No

[url="http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg"]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg[/url]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Basketball Quiz

1.) answer 1
    2.) answer 3
    3.) answer 3
    4.) yes
    5.) no
    Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
    George Orwell

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Number 3 throws me. I could have sworn that there was numbers higher than 45, but probably wrong.

I felt like I was misreading #4 for some reason..it felt like one of those 'ah ha you misread it' questions
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

depends on which league we're talking about, NCAA and high school numbers go to 55...NBA can be anything, Rodman wore 91, and Ron Artest wears 93 right now...so if he's talking about NCAA then by default it would have to be 45, but since i know people wore numbers in the 50's that can be cancelled so he'd have to be talking NBA...rodman was retired so that takes away 91 (b/c i dont think anyone else has it)

i dont recall anyone ever wearing 85 but im pretty sure someone wore 75, so thatll be my guess but dont really see how it pertains to reffing

so the answers would be:

1) 1
    2) 3
    3) 1
    4) yes
    5) no
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No wonder people pass the officiating test if it's questions like this, these are basic rules.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree. The rule I always argued with the most was when to call an intentional foul. Here's the scenario: An offensive player is driving to the basket and goes to shoot a layup. A defender breaks to the basket and goes up to block the shot. The shot is swatted against the backboard (cleanly), but the defender's momentum carries them into the shooter. To me, the call should be a foul with the shooter getting two shots because the foul occurred during the act of shooting. The call I got was an intentional foul. The response I got was that any foul that was committed to give the defense an unfair advantage was intentional.I said, "That's what most fouls are!" The only thing that kept me from getting tossed in this situation was that it was a scrimmage. Did I mention that it was a girl's game? What do you all define as intentional?

Inactive Member imported_Rocket Scientist's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alright PVFan, try this one and reference specific rules for your answer please.

Held ball.
    Possession arrow is pointing toward Team A's basket.
    Official hands the ball to A1 for the throw-in.
    B1 reaches across the end-line as he is trying to defend the throw-in.
    Official blows whistle and warns Team B for crossing the vertical plane and creating a delay of game on the throw-in. The warning is recorded in the score book.
    Official starts the throw-in again.
    Throw-in is completed.

Official does NOT change the Possession arrow.
    Is the official correct? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't think he could reference specific rules unless he has a rule book and since none online, hard to do [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Inactive Member imported_Rocket Scientist's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This person is constantly referring to how bad the AOA officials appear to be, in his opinion. I assumed he knew and could quote specific rules to substantiate his opinions.
    [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img] [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

wtf, you are a loser.

you are a ref, who probably sucks, and it taking shot as pvfan because he says his opinion, which is 99% true? why should a fan be able to call out all these stupid calls, but you officials have to refer to a rulebook to figure out rules??

he argues the common sense of officials, and general intelligence of the officals, not how well they can read a rulebook.

The arrow should still change shouldnt it, because there was no infraction called on the opposing player, so why wouldnt the arrow change?
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast