Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Offensive foul circle

I was watching the GC vs. George Wythe game last weekend and noticed the frequency that players were trying to draw charges while noticeably under the basket. I know the NBA has the circle under the hoop where if your feet are in it, you cannot draw a charge. Made me think that in some cases, players trying to do this might have a negative effect on the outcome. Might also prevent some injuries. Anyone else think this is an issue?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Offensive foul circle

I would love to see that circle put in high school.
    Call it like you see it

Inactive Member Slobber Knocker's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, in high school. If a kid is standing under the basket trying to draw a charge, in my opinion, it is to late because the offensive man has already took off for a layup. I will call a block everytime. Now if it is a lowpost feed and the offensive man drops a shoulder or tries to power his way up through the defensive man, yes, you best believe......OFFENSIVE....BALL THIS WAY!
    Also, another pet peef of mine is a FLOP! I will call a block everytime even if no contact is made. Flopping is dangerous because if you are on the floor someone could come down on you and twist an ankle or knee. Flopping is supposed to be a technical foul but I never call it nor have I seen anyone else call a "T" for flopping.

That doesnt make sense, you will call a block if no contact is made?

No wonder the shape of the game today.

Inactive Member imported_aoaofficial's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well Slobber Knocker, you've missed a charge every time. There is nothing in the rule book that says you can't draw a charge from underneath the basket. I agree with Anders in that may be why basketball is in the shape its in. We do have some officials who don't know the rules and some others that only want to apply what they want to apply. A player can take a charge from anywhere inside the rectangle of the playing court. An official doesn't have the right to decide if a player is too far under the basket do draw a charge. If I were a coach and an official told me that, that's when I would go to the commissioner and complain.

Inactive Member
    Offensive foul circle

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Edit: Only way a charge can`t be called is if the defender is on or outside of the out of bounds line.
    [img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/rayscheer159/rolltide.jpg[/img]

Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Speaking of the flop being a Technical I wish the Refs would T them up for the blatant ones as IMHO it would come closer to actually stopping it

Inactive Member imported_Just_wandering's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Zebra, if your foot is on or outside the out of bounds line then you are not inside the rectangle.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

With officials (or I believe officials) who make comments like 'I never call that a charge' or 'I lose count when someone yells 3 seconds', it's no wonder everybody complains about consistency.

There is enough grey area in the rules without people deciding that a rule doesn't fit what they like, and calling it thusly.

I can say I'm glad that we have some of these comments being made from 'officials' because it shows that everybody isn't crazy when they wonder why things aren't called or are called not according to the rules.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Inactive Member
    Offensive foul circle

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I apologize I worded it wrong. The way you said it was how I was trying to come across [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The rule for the foot on the line changed not too long ago. So technically before then you were still considered in the rectangle.
    [img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/rayscheer159/rolltide.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast