Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Offensive foul circle

You could never have your foot on the line and draw a charge. They only changed the wording so that folks could understand the rule better.

Inactive Member Slobber Knocker's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If a defender is UNDERNEATH the basket and a offensive man is going in for a layup, the offensive man is already airborn because he is starting his approach and going airborne before he gets underneath the rim. It is to late to take a charge. I have missed nothing. As far as "losing count when someone yells three seconds." Lighten up will ya. That was an attempt at humor but apparently some people want to be so tight-a@@, they take you serious. As far as my calling the game. I have worked regionals and sectionals, never states, so I do have a "little" experience.
    Some of you AOA officials should not throw stones by saying "you missed that call." Over the Christmas break, at these Christmas tournaments, AOA officials were talking to the fans, looking up in the stands to make eye contact and trying to get to be all "buddy, buddy" with players and coaches, the man in the "c" calling a foul across the lane on the other side of the rim when it is the underneath refs job and he has better position. Positioning was terrible for some.
    I went up to them and introduced myself (and was not judging them on their game)telling them where and what I did and they acted so FREAKIN' COCKY you think they were calling "North Carolina-Duke" matchup. Don't get me wrong, there are some very good refs in this area but they are few and far between. Some AOA officials are just not very good, period and a lot of you are just not in SHAPE to call a game. When the gut is bigger than a basketball, you are not in shape. The only other association that I seen that USED to be really bad was the Battlefield.
    Do you guys EVER have CLINICS in the fall when it is time to get ready? From what I hear you do not because it is to far to travel for some officials and I understand that in this part of the state. Do you guys ever have "mentors" (sp)? Do any of the J.V refs go up to an experienced varsity ref and ask, "How do I get better? Did you see anything I need to improve on?" No, because a lot of you guys have to much pride to ask for help and think you know it all. When I started, I asked so many questions that the refs asked me to give it a rest. Back then you traveled with the refs as a group that worked the game because girls and boys JV and varsity played at a different time of year. We talked about what to look for, who was the leading scorer from each team and if you had any "thugs" on the team, is it a rivalry game? Things like that. Nowadays around here, refs do not travel with each other and that hurts the game also.
    Go to a ref clinic in the summer. Charlotte has a very good one and you will see the humor a lot of refs use and how they direct the game to be called. We start the last week in Sept., we attend 8 clinics on each Sunday and we have to work 5 scrimmages and take a 100 question supervised exam before we are allowed on the court for an official game.
    Get out of Southwest Va. and see how the game is really played. No offense but it is better basketball in the N.Va., Norfolk, and the Carolina area.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What about a defensive player who already established position before the player left his/her feet for the shot? That is a charge. It doesn't matter if it is under the basket or not.

With the way you are saying it, it is a block anyway because the defender had not establish position.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Inactive Member imported_aoaofficial's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey stripes, for a football official you sure seem to know what you are talking about. Any time that a defensive player has position on an offensive player, no matter where he is, even under the basket, it is a player control foul.

Slobber knocker, if you don't call it like that, then you are wrong.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is why I would like to see the circle. It seems that under the basket should be the only place on the court where a charge cannot be called. The offensive player has to land somewhere when shooting a layup.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    talking to the fans, looking up in the stands to make eye contact and trying to get to be all "buddy, buddy" with players and coaches,

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw the "looking up in the stands" quite a bit at the Coal Classic. I hate that.
    Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
    George Orwell

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[ QUOTE ]
    We talked about what to look for, who was the leading scorer from each team and if you had any "thugs" on the team, is it a rivalry game?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong, your job is not to try and determine how you will call a game before you even get to the arena but to go in and call the game as it is played. It does not matter who the leading scorer is or anything else, going into a game with an admitted bias is just flat out wrong.
    Hence officials that do make their calls based on such biases are a black eye on officials everywhere.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There are quite a few who know how they're going to call a game before they even get to the gym.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

[ QUOTE ]
    What about a defensive player who already established position before the player left his/her feet for the shot? That is a charge. It doesn't matter if it is under the basket or not.

With the way you are saying it, it is a block anyway because the defender had not establish position.

[/ QUOTE ] You are right. Too many high school refs want to change the game to what they watch on the tube. It should be called as it is . High school.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12