Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Point of Interest

I do not know what VA. state clinic mandated areas of interest were this year but in North Carolina, the director of officials has mandated cleaning up the post play.
    Any time a defender puts a forearm into an offensive man, on the post or out front, it is a foul. NO WARNINGS!!
    An offensive man can no longer raise his elbow or use his forearm to post up a defensive man. OFFENSIVE FOUL! NO WARNINGS!!
    If an offensive and defensive man intangle or lock up after a free throw, DOUBLE FOUL! NO WARNINGS!
    An offensive man can only SQUARE his body in front of a defender, he cannot move the defender off a spot the defender has established position on. OFFENSIVE FOUL! NO WARNINGS!
    I hope the car is warm when I leave the gym. This could be a death sentence for some officials. LOL! All these big redneck fans around here are going to go ape-sh*t!
    I know they want to clean it up but damn...this is going to be tough the first few weeks. The biggest thing will be consistentance on both ends. The coaches know the changes since they are required to attend the meetings as well.
    I have to admit, I still play 2-3 times a week and pushing and shoving in the post is how I survived on the court. If I played now with officials, I would not last 1 quarter.
    Reasoning: "Officials enforce the rules of basketball, they are not coaches. Pushing and shoving is used by players to gain the advantage on another player. Anyone that uses aggressiveness to gain the advantage is in violation of the rules. Aggressive play in the post has ruined the game of basketball and leads to aggressive play in other theatres of play. North Carolina has some of the best talent in basketball and we have the best training for officials in the country and you WILL stop this kind of basketball. If you do not have the courage to put air in the whistle and stop the aggressive play in the post, we will find someone who can!"

GOD HELP US!

This one I agree on; NO HOTDOGGING, TRASH TALKING, INTIMIDATING or ANY UNSPORTSMANLIKE ACTION....including dunking and pointing at an opposing team...results- TECHNICAL FOUL, AUTOMATIC EJECTION, annnnnnnd a TWO GAME SUSPENSION.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Point of Interest

Why even have post players then?... Might as well teach every player to be a guard.
    Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
    George Orwell

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

About time they got back to real basketball. If I wanted to watch a contact sport, I'd choose football. RC's best shooter on the girls side is out for a year due to this type shoving to get position. Hope it comes to VA.
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

Thank God , back to basketball and away from wrestling. This would really cut into a couple of programs that have molested centers for years, if we were that smart.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As if there is enough consistancy in VA officiating for a 'point of interest' to make a difference.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotSoSilentBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As if there is enough consistancy in VA officiating for a 'point of interest' to make a difference. </div></div>
    I thought the 3rd ref would help, but it seems that they just stand around waiting on the other person. You can get a touch foul in the lane on one end and the other guy will let'em mug them. You just really have a hard time adjusting to the reffing.

Inactive Member Slobber Knocker's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can tell you exactly what is wrong with some of the officials in SW. Va. (besides the obvious, lack of classes and you only have to take an exam and attend a meeting).
    1st thing...WATCHING THE BALL!
    2nd thing...WATCHING THE BALL!
    3rd thing...WATCHING THE BALL!
    The trail, center, and lead have assigned areas. (by the way, a REAL ref would never tell a coach "that is not my area!")I almost came out of my seat when a lead official called a five second call. THAT SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN BY THE LEAD.
    You dance with who brought you. In my opinion the coaches and principals need to get together and force the association to have at least 5 classes before the season starts and go over the rule book section by section, recruit refs and go over certain game situations. This needs to happen every year. Refs get older, players stay the same age.
    Some of the refs back there have to much pride to ref a 10 and under AAU tournament, but that is where you learn and get in shape. Also a lot of the "older" refs can learn from the young guys as well. Young guys bring enthusiasm to the game.
    The bottom line is this, you are officiating because you love the kids, if you are doing it for the money, you need to get out now!

If you ain't careful, they will say you are siding with me. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

Inactive Member imported_Rocket Scientist's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey slob,
    Dont blame the officals....... Its not their fault that the commissioner is out officiating games instead of observing officals. You want to complain about something? Go complain about that to the coaches and principles!

Inactive Member Slobber Knocker's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think you need to read more clearly what I said earlier. What has the commisioner officiating a game after the season starts got to do with training before the season starts? All the commissioner is going to tell you after observing you is the things you are doing wrong and correct them. Training before the season starts could prevent that. Lack of training BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS is why some of the refs back there are sooooooo bad. After the season starts, it is too late.