Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Local official's daughter calls in women's final four

Did anyone see the article about basketball official Garry Robert's daughter calling in the final four? She called the UT-LSU game.

It's official: North alumna Roberts to call game in Women's Final Four

By BILL LANE
    [email protected]

The NCAA Women's Final Four is a considerable distance from Kingsport "? especially when you have to get there as a game official.
    Beverly Roberts has come a long way since her father, Garry, put a whistle in her hands and told her to wing it.
    "I was scheduled to officiate a Junior Pro League basketball game at Kingsley Elementary,'' the elder Roberts said. "I took Beverly along to keep the scorebook. I needed someone to help call the game, and she volunteered.
    "She'd never called a game before. I just told her to relax and look at the game as if she were playing in it.''
    Roberts, who played point guard three seasons at Sullivan North High School, still holds the Lady Raiders' record for career assists. She earned a softball scholarship to Tusculum College and played four years, dividing her time between second base and left field.
    After graduation in 1990, she taught special education two years in Marietta, Ga. She actually officiated two college games before being accepted as a Region 1 high school official.
    Garry took his daughter to a college officiating camp at Florida State and she was hooked. One thing led to another and pretty soon she was working college games all over the country.
    She moved to Indianapolis because of its proximity to the many colleges within a four- or five-hour radius. Beverly still maintains a home there and also owns one in Tampa, the site of tonight's Final Four.
    Beverly has been making her living as a college official for 11 years. She called the Tennessee/Texas A&M regional championship showdown last week at Oklahoma City.
    Her biggest assignment will be in the national semifinals. She'll either be working the Connecticut/Stanford game at 7 p.m. or the Tennessee/LSU contest at 9:30 p.m. The NCAA wasn't scheduled to issue the officials' assignments until this morning.
    "I really don't care which game it will be,'' Beverly said. "I'm just glad to be here. There are officials who work their entire career and never get to do this.
    "The volume of fans and television make the games so much bigger,"? she added. "The Tennessee/A&M game was big but getting to call in the Final Four has to be the biggest ever for me.''
    Beverly had to sit down when she received word she'd be calling at Tampa.
    "I don't have the words to describe how I felt,'' she said. "When I got the call, I was speechless. I feel very honored. My phone has rung off the hook with people calling to congratulate me.''
    She will have officiated between 100 and 105 games when the season ends. Beverly has driven 33,000 miles this year besides flying countless miles.
    "It's the most incredible and satisfying job I've ever had,'' she said. "I like having a part in shaping a young person's life. It's not so much being in control. I call a game almost every day, somewhere.''
    Beverly officiated the Big Ten Conference championship game this year.
    Garry, a longtime official, works games in six college conferences "? the Southern, Big South, Great Lakes Valley, Ohio Valley, Atlantic Sun and Mid-South "? as well as high school ball in Southwest Virginia.
    Before Beverly hit the college circuit, she and her father called some games together and USA Today did an article on them.
    "We're walking on air,'' Garry said of her selection to the Final Four. "We're proud of Beverly. She's earned it.''
    When you're in the middle of the action involving the best players, top coaches and elite programs in the land, there's no doubt about

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Local official's daughter calls in women's final four

thats awesome
    Need A Penny? Take A Penny...Need 2 Pennies? Get A Job!!!
    [img]http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/sports_photos/College/Football/james-davis-GI.jpg[/img]

Inactive Member imported_aoaofficial's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Local official's daughter calls in women's final four

She's worked hard at getting there. I have officiated with her and her dad in a game. We had lots of fun. She deserved it. She did a real good job in the game also.